Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bloke threatens BT with giant plywood cheque

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2010, 03:39 PM
ScoobyDriverWannabe
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bloke threatens BT with giant plywood cheque

It's Friday, so we're sure the following heartwarming tale will cheer your final slog into the weekend: how Reg reader David Humpage is giving BT some serious grief with giant novelty cheques.

David wrote to the El Reg consumer affairs department explaining that a couple of years back he noticed he was being charged £4.50 a pop for paying his phone bills online. This, he suggests, actually costs the telco nothing, so why the charge?

Two years of correspondence later, BT admitted it didn't take a financial hit for processing online payments, but explained it "averaged together all the non-direct-debit payment methods, and on that basis it costs them £4.50".

David says: "Fair enough, I thought, I don't want to do business with this kind of dishonesty and anyway you haven't apologised about Phorm yet. So I left."

He continues: "As I'd been paying for over two years to have non-existent cheques cashed, I thought I may as well have something for this outlay, so my last cheque was sent blown up on A3 cardboard. Remember, it's legal to write a cheque on anything as long as it contains the right information - there are famous stories of a cheque written on a cow, or in one case on a fish. In the circumstances, I thought they got off pretty lightly."

BT didn't think so, and since dispatching his novelty cheque last November, David has "been deluged with calls from BT people who couldn't speak English and were clearly following a script".

The company also referred the matter to a debt collection agency, which claimed the cheque had bounced. In fact, clarified David's bank, it was never presented for payment.

BT then claimed the cheque rubbered "because it was non-standard" - something David nicely describes as "clearly bollocks".

David splendidly concludes: "I've had my solicitor write them several letters, pointing out that they've been paid with a legal cheque, and it's up to them to cash it. I've even offered to replace the cheque, though stipulating that there'll be a £25 admin charge and the replacement will be on plywood."

Well done that man. The current state of play is that David's solicitor has written to BT threatening to "take them to court if they didn't cash my cheque". He's currently awaiting a reply, while the debt collectors have fallen silent.

We emailed BT this morning asking for its position on giant novelty cheques. A press officer requested the phone number related to the bill in question, and promised to look into the matter. Watch this space..
Old 09 April 2010, 03:43 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

That's genius. Well done that man
Old 09 April 2010, 03:50 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Excellent

I noticed that BT increased that charge to £9.00 some time last year and didn't tell anyone.
Cheeky blighters. Glad I pay by S/O
Old 09 April 2010, 03:56 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

love it

I have **** all to do with BT now so they can take a running jump with their made up charges..bunch of robbing ******* !!
Old 09 April 2010, 04:04 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great story
Old 09 April 2010, 05:43 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Good on him!
Old 09 April 2010, 07:39 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I've even offered to replace the cheque, though stipulating that there'll be a £25 admin charge and the replacement will be on plywood."
BOMM
Old 09 April 2010, 08:50 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Superb
Old 10 April 2010, 10:07 AM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

excellent..
Old 10 April 2010, 11:18 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

I love some of the comments at El Reg including...

Originally Posted by Anonymous Coward - Posted Friday 9th April 2010 12:50 GMT
Kudos
...But printed on something very biodegradeable like a banana, or something infeasbily small - maybe pop into Fujisti down the road, and get them to carve me a cheque a hundred molecules high onto one of my old toenails or something. Or print a full-sized one onto a sheet of glass 0.0001mm thick.
Brilliant!

mb