Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Thinking of changing my degree ?!

Search this Thread

Old 05 April 2010, 10:12 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of changing my degree ?!

At the moment i am in my foundation year of a mechanical engineering degree, but am thinking of changing it, and doing another.

I am thinking of either Law, Economics or politics. Quite a big change really.

Has anyone done one of these degrees? What sort of modules did you do and what was the work / content like?

Oh and how rich are you now
Old 06 April 2010, 06:13 AM
Ben123456789
Scooby Regular

Why are you thinking of changing?

Is it mainly because you think you will earn more money by doing one of the others? If that is the case, then you need to think very carefully about whether you will be able to stick with a subject that you may not find interesting, never mind a career.

If you are thinking of going into the world of finance, an engineering degree (provided you get a top grade) is a route into many areas in the city. It will also give you the option of actually being an engineer if you decide the world of finance isn't for you!

Law and finance are not an easy ticket to get rich, to earn the mega bucks you will need to work extremely hard, sacrifice most of your spare time, and be very good at what you do whilst handling a huge amount of stress. I know this from people I know who followed / tried to follow this path. As for politics, I have absolutely no idea about that one so can't offer you any advice!

If you enjoy engineering, stick with it, you can earn decent money if you get into a good company, and still have a life outside of work. And another thing that you probably won't realise until you've finished your course and got a job is that doing engineering as a job is a lot more interesting than the uni coursework, which can get very tedious as it's often taught badly.

The most important thing is to make sure you are genuinely interested in the subject, whichever one you choose. Otherwise you probably won't be very good at the job.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Ben123456789; 06 April 2010 at 06:15 AM.
Old 06 April 2010, 06:29 AM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The standard way into politics is to be a lawyer first, then change tack. Something like 40% of MPs are ex-lawyers. As a subject, Politics is what their staff studied.

M
Old 06 April 2010, 07:12 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

In terms of earnings Law probably offers the best potential reward - but as said above you need to be the absolute cream at what you do.

A decent provincial lawyer might get £45-60k a year doing mundane family stuff. A provincial partner between £90-150k depending on the type of practice and the size of the firm. But for every partner there will be 5-10 lawyers vying to be partner.

In the city firms the sky is the limit. The average partner share in the Golden Circle is over £1m a year - but this is the cream of the cream of the cream. Mostly staffed by well connected, Oxbridge leaders.

Of course you could do any of the degrees you describe and then become a barrister instead. You would need to go through pupillage but can earn decent money representing people in court.

The big money for either a lawyer or barrister is in corporate law especially corporate restructuring and arbitrage.
Old 06 April 2010, 09:39 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

having spent the easter break with a good friend who is one of the country's top Patent Lawyers (and founding partner of a top city corporate Law Firm)

I can say that if you become a Corporate Lawyer then the sky is the limit

(oh and he did a bio chemistry degree - 1st at Cambridge)
Old 06 April 2010, 09:44 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

So get a great degree in engineering. Do a law degree and then you can become a patent lawyer for things like this...

Of course the real money in patent law is not babysitting patents it is doing the Apple sue Nokia, Nokia sue Apple stuff. And then you have to be the very best to make serious money.
Old 06 April 2010, 10:14 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ben123456789
Why are you thinking of changing?

Is it mainly because you think you will earn more money by doing one of the others? If that is the case, then you need to think very carefully about whether you will be able to stick with a subject that you may not find interesting, never mind a career.

If you are thinking of going into the world of finance, an engineering degree (provided you get a top grade) is a route into many areas in the city. It will also give you the option of actually being an engineer if you decide the world of finance isn't for you!

Law and finance are not an easy ticket to get rich, to earn the mega bucks you will need to work extremely hard, sacrifice most of your spare time, and be very good at what you do whilst handling a huge amount of stress. I know this from people I know who followed / tried to follow this path. As for politics, I have absolutely no idea about that one so can't offer you any advice!

If you enjoy engineering, stick with it, you can earn decent money if you get into a good company, and still have a life outside of work. And another thing that you probably won't realise until you've finished your course and got a job is that doing engineering as a job is a lot more interesting than the uni coursework, which can get very tedious as it's often taught badly.

The most important thing is to make sure you are genuinely interested in the subject, whichever one you choose. Otherwise you probably won't be very good at the job.

Hope this helps
The money part was just a bit of sarcasm really.

The engineering i am doing is very difficult to remain interested in at all times, and i can find it hard to remember all of the stuff I'm bombarded with in lectures. I have thought about changing to auto mobile engineering but it will not be very auto mobile focused until the 3rd year really.

I've just thought of it as a back up as i have a very logical and mathematical mind(my mates even call me Jewish ), and with law, i can be very good at persuasive or debate style arguing, and think i could do well with the essays.
Old 06 April 2010, 10:16 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you ever thought about chemical engineering? One of my mates qualified as a mechanical engineer and he's now doing a chemical degree. Totally different, and I guess the goal for him is to be working for oil companies etc. He says the maths is unreal and he's not exactly a genius, but he's prepared to work hard! The money will be good.

The thing about Law now is that I think there are a lot of people wanting to do it. That means there could be less chance of a job when you get your qualifications. Obviously though, if you're keen enough and think you can do it then you might as well go for it.

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 06 April 2010 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Spelling!
Old 06 April 2010, 01:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _Meridian_
The standard way into politics is to be a lawyer first, then change tack. Something like 40% of MPs are ex-lawyers. As a subject, Politics is what their staff studied.

M
You mean lawyers are not to be trusted then!

Les
Old 06 April 2010, 01:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
At the moment i am in my foundation year of a mechanical engineering degree, but am thinking of changing it, and doing another.

I am thinking of either Law, Economics or politics. Quite a big change really.

Has anyone done one of these degrees? What sort of modules did you do and what was the work / content like?

Oh and how rich are you now
I would find engineering very interesting, but the others would bore me to tears.

I reackon that job satisfaction is very important.

Les
Old 06 April 2010, 01:26 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I would find engineering very interesting, but the others would bore me to tears.

I reackon that job satisfaction is very important.

Les
Agreed. I did an OND in mechanical engineering. I'd have thought if anything Law would be more tedious. Only you can answer that though.
Old 06 April 2010, 01:36 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

The country needs more engineers than it does ambulance chasers, stick with it !!
Old 06 April 2010, 04:23 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leslie
You mean lawyers are not to be trusted then!

You might think so, I couldn't possibly comment...

M
Old 06 April 2010, 07:26 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Very interesting replies......................... Ben123456789 talks a lot of sense. If I had my time again I would do Business Studies/Accountancy (I have Science degrees from late 80s early 90s; loved the subject rather than for career prospects). If you are 'good enough' a good degree from a good university in pretty much any 'challenging' subject will lead to good earning prospects in a number of disciplines. If you are 'good enough' however, you will have great prospects without a degree, though you will probably need an opportunity/bit of luck to get your foot on the ladder.

Degrees have become almost 10-a-penny these days (IMHO and no offence to anyone) and hence are no longer the differentiators they were historically. When I need to recruit I look for a spark in people or a general intelligence/awareness as much as any paper qualifications, though I only recruit at medium to lower salary levels.

So I would advise you do a degree in a challenging subject that you are comfortable with...............and the sky becomes the limit. FWIW Engineering in pretty much any form has good prospects, there are not too many good engineers out there.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

dnc