Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pioneer Cdj1000 Mk3's

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2010, 04:39 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer Cdj1000 Mk3's

For the DJ's on here they really are the daddy of current CDJ technology aren't they?

Story is I've done a bit of contact whoring on Facebook and that coupled with a lucky meeting when attending an event back in Feb has seen me with a decent opportunity DJ wise. The guy I met at a Digital Society pre party back in Feb actually works for Digitial Society. I added him on Facebook and got talking recently as he wasn't one of these 'up your ****' types. So one thing led to another, I sent him a recent demo mix I did and he's offered me the chance to DJ a Digital Society pre party in July.

This is a decent coup I'd have thought as DS recieved Mixmags "Trance Club of the Year 2009" award and have hosted biiig DJ names (admittedly at the main events and not the pre parties). Anywho, the CDJ1000 is the industry standard CDJ (like the Technics 1210 were the vinyl deck standard).

Buuut I have Denons at home and have never really had any experience on CDJ1000's. I'm frantically going to try save up enough to get one second hand before July (£600+ for second hand, £1000 new). Just want to know if anyone on here has used them and their experiences. I'm doing my homework on this one and wanna take the opportunity and blow them away

Ta muchly.
Old 04 April 2010, 04:56 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Fek if i know what you are on about but the music you gave me keeps me insane/sane
Old 04 April 2010, 05:16 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd see if you can borrow a mates CDJ1000 before purchasing as (depending on model) you may find your Denons being more tacticle and "better". I had CDJ800 mk2's and they sounded **** and were built like crap. I loved them thou as they were so much fun.

Most scratch and Trance DJ's i've known in the past preferred Denon CDJ's but used the Pioneers due to being industry standards.

Same goes for their DJM's Vestex and Allen and Heath mixers always show them a clean set of heels sonically.
Old 04 April 2010, 05:25 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
I'd see if you can borrow a mates CDJ1000 before purchasing as (depending on model) you may find your Denons being more tacticle and "better". I had CDJ800 mk2's and they sounded **** and were built like crap. I loved them thou as they were so much fun.

Most scratch and Trance DJ's i've known in the past preferred Denon CDJ's but used the Pioneers due to being industry standards.

Same goes for their DJM's Vestex and Allen and Heath mixers always show them a clean set of heels sonically.
Wish I had access to one through a mate. This is why I'm looking at saving up for one to add to my set up. I find the Pioneer mixer and absolute belter. When I've used one, I prefer it to the Allen & Heath xZone which I used a lot in the last bar I DJ'ed. They had the Denon 3700's Cdj's in and they're very good.

As you say though, I need to be comfortable on the Pioneers' as this is what is used in general.

P.S. anyone lend me £700 and I'll pay you back £100 a month

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 04 April 2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04 April 2010, 05:26 PM
chris28
Scooby Regular

theres a lot of talk between denons and cdj's and the differences. a lot of clubs use the 1000's this is why they get the title industry standards, at present with the release of the 2000's i would hold off buying the 1000's provide ya happy with ya denons save and get the 2000's now they really are the daddies. if you can mix on the denons to be truthful you will have no problems with the cdj1000's pretty straight forward to use
Old 04 April 2010, 05:29 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris28
theres a lot of talk between denons and cdj's and the differences. a lot of clubs use the 1000's this is why they get the title industry standards, at present with the release of the 2000's i would hold off buying the 1000's provide ya happy with ya denons save and get the 2000's now they really are the daddies. if you can mix on the denons to be truthful you will have no problems with the cdj1000's pretty straight forward to use
Aye the 2000's look a phenominal beast. The big hitters will already have them (seen Van Buuren using them already in his studio) so this may reflect on the 1000's cost with a bit of luck.

I think the issue is I'm used to the Denon's but want/need to get used to the Pioneers now as they're classed as the 1210 of the Cdj world, and 9/10 bars/clubs have them.
Old 04 April 2010, 06:59 PM
chris28
Scooby Regular

you should find that within around 5 mins you will be used to the cdj's mate by the end of the second track but like you say if you had one you could get some practise in and have a lot saved on the memory card to take with you. plan your set and leave your nerves at the door
Old 04 April 2010, 07:07 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris28
you should find that within around 5 mins you will be used to the cdj's mate by the end of the second track but like you say if you had one you could get some practise in and have a lot saved on the memory card to take with you. plan your set and leave your nerves at the door
Thats something I never do funnily enough - plan my set that is. Usually have an idea of what tracks I want to drop and maybe the set starter firmly in my head. Thats about it.

The only thing the Denons beat the Pioneers for is the FX on them, but then you have FX on the Pioneer mixer. Still really wanna save up and add one to the set up though.
Old 04 April 2010, 07:10 PM
kightsy
Scooby Regular

PIONEER CDJ 1000'S ARE THE MUT NUTS THERE THE INDUSTRY STANDARD !!!!
Old 04 April 2010, 09:57 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

I have a pair of CDJ 500's in the loft, bought when they were the daddy's, worth anything?
Old 05 April 2010, 03:55 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

CDJ2000 and DJM20000. They are the future. I've got a lot of experience with the 1000's and they are great but the 2000's are something else. The DJM 2000 mixer when it is released in july will be fantastic

Last edited by subaruturbo_18; 05 April 2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05 April 2010, 01:33 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
I have a pair of CDJ 500's in the loft, bought when they were the daddy's, worth anything?
Ebay??

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
CDJ2000 and DJM20000. They are the future. I've got a lot of experience with the 100's and they are great but the 2000's are something else. The DJM 2000 mixer when it is released in july will be fantastic
That it certainly will. Had a play on the DJM600 and assume the 800 just has more trimmings.

Anywho, the set has just been confirmed by Neil at Digital Society. 2nd Friday in July @ Bar4 in Leeds. Will be playing B2B with a fellow DJ, progressive trance.
Old 05 April 2010, 01:58 PM
ilogikal1
Scooby Regular

Spend considerably less money on a trip over to Birmingham, Mr CoB, and get yourself over to HTFR. They'll let you have a play... what with you looking to buy and all
Old 05 April 2010, 03:03 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I won't get rid of them unless they're desirable, they still come out now and then. I remember the lambasting from the purists I got when I bought them, very similar to the iBashing I get on here now. I was the devil incarnate then for suggesting they were the future.
Old 05 April 2010, 03:21 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ilogikal1
Spend considerably less money on a trip over to Birmingham, Mr CoB, and get yourself over to HTFR. They'll let you have a play... what with you looking to buy and all
Haven't a good word for HTFR, rip off merchants come to mind. So many times they screwed up my orders(sometimes in my favour i may add) and some very suspicously poor quality copies of vinyl bought from them. That was a few years ago mind you, so maybe things have changed.
Old 05 April 2010, 04:01 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Aye, considered that for a trip. Briminghams a bit far just to have a few mins on them. I'd like to add one to my armoury anyways since I'm giving the DJ thing a shot now. Hopefully eventually have a pair money dependant.

Originally Posted by JackClark
I won't get rid of them unless they're desirable, they still come out now and then. I remember the lambasting from the purists I got when I bought them, very similar to the iBashing I get on here now. I was the devil incarnate then for suggesting they were the future.
LOL, I have an iPhone and CDJ's. Also have a 1210 for my 100s of vinyl though. I was very purist from starting out in 2002 until about late 2007 - mid 2008 when I realised how much cheaper and technologically advanced CD mixing was. Unfortunately nature of the beast, even CD's seem to be going out in favour of laptops and programming such as Albeton Live 8 etc. now.

Haven't a good word for HTFR, rip off merchants come to mind. So many times they screwed up my orders(sometimes in my favour i may add) and some very suspicously poor quality copies of vinyl bought from them. That was a few years ago mind you, so maybe things have changed.
Only used them a handful of times for records or equipment over the years. Expensive yes, but can't say I've had any major issues with them.

I'm gonna see how long it takes to save up for one second hand from the bay (approx £600-£700 seems the going rate from a genuine seller). Would love a pair of new ones but nobody (aside from loan sharks) will gimme a loan with my credit rating at the minute. Rather try save what I have spare.
Old 05 April 2010, 04:08 PM
ilogikal1
Scooby Regular

In fairness I haven't used them (or anyone else for that matter) for about 5 years now but I never had any problems with them and I used to use them a lot.
Either way though, if they'll let Andy mess about with their hardware, ( ) that's not really an issue

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Aye, considered that for a trip. Briminghams a bit far just to have a few mins on them. I'd like to add one to my armoury anyways since I'm giving the DJ thing a shot now. Hopefully eventually have a pair money dependant.
True, it is a bit of a trek. It only sprang to mind as I'd expect them to have some you could a play with.
Old 05 April 2010, 04:11 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

In fairness I haven't used them (or anyone else for that matter) for about 5 years now but I never had any problems with them and I used to use them a lot.
Either way though, if they'll let Andy mess about with their hardware, ( ) that's not really an issue

True, it is a bit of a trek. It only sprang to mind as I'd expect them to have some you could a play with.
Had a play with them at the venue I DJ'ed last year (you remember, you were stood by my side all night as my personal bodyguard ). I didn't get along with them and they seemed a bit abused, hense why I used my own stuff.
Old 05 April 2010, 04:21 PM
ilogikal1
Scooby Regular

Had a play with them at the venue I DJ'ed last year (you remember, you were stood by my side all night as my personal bodyguard ). I didn't get along with them and they seemed a bit abused, hense why I used my own stuff.

Furry muff then, I concede that a trip to Brum is a tad excessive
Old 05 April 2010, 08:23 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I feel a crucifixion coming, but have just spotted this.

http://itunes.com/apps/babydecksdj
Old 05 April 2010, 11:04 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

wouldnt have thought a car forum would be the place to ask this choccy, whats your current setup?? heres mine

nae bad for a beginners setup i guess, just over a year old now

Excellent bits of kit mate, but tbh youl buy them thinking youl use all the features, and you dont lol! well i dont anyway, you could get away with practice on 800's and using 1000's. hoping the flopped launch of the 2000 will crush the 1000's price a bit, and yeah that djm 2000 is awesome and would be real at home in a state of the art club, but realistically whos got that much money to spend on 2 cdj 2000s and a mixer? not me anyway, not yet.

choccy your only in scunny arnt ya? im in howden, if you wana sort a day out and get 'in the mix' il bob over with the mk3's if ya like?
Old 06 April 2010, 07:08 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrighty338
wouldnt have thought a car forum would be the place to ask this choccy, whats your current setup?? heres mine

nae bad for a beginners setup i guess, just over a year old now

Excellent bits of kit mate, but tbh youl buy them thinking youl use all the features, and you dont lol! well i dont anyway, you could get away with practice on 800's and using 1000's. hoping the flopped launch of the 2000 will crush the 1000's price a bit, and yeah that djm 2000 is awesome and would be real at home in a state of the art club, but realistically whos got that much money to spend on 2 cdj 2000s and a mixer? not me anyway, not yet.

choccy your only in scunny arnt ya? im in howden, if you wana sort a day out and get 'in the mix' il bob over with the mk3's if ya like?
LOL @ the car forum thing. There's enough ***** on here to entertain me rather than me a member on other forums

Reckon we should meet up and have a jam sesh lad. Hows one weekend sound? I've got a 4 channel mixer so could simply as the Mk3's to my Denons and do a little of the old Carl *** (badly I may add ).

Send us a PM wth your thoughts fellow DeeJay
Old 06 April 2010, 08:19 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

n/p matey yhpm
Old 06 April 2010, 08:55 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrighty338
n/p matey yhpm
Replied
Old 06 April 2010, 09:09 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Andy, if you didn't play that trancey crap, I'd ask my mates which CDJ's they are using and if you could have some time if they were the right ones.

However, you play that trancey crap, so I'll not bother.

Can ask about, but, it's a bit of a trek for you.
Old 06 April 2010, 09:41 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
Andy, if you didn't play that trancey crap, I'd ask my mates which CDJ's they are using and if you could have some time if they were the right ones.

However, you play that trancey crap, so I'll not bother.

Can ask about, but, it's a bit of a trek for you.
Rofl & trancey crap. How dare you swear at me

is a bit of a trek mind. Tell you what, you and Lisa just send me £50 instead
Old 06 April 2010, 09:47 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Rofl & trancey crap. How dare you swear at me

is a bit of a trek mind. Tell you what, you and Lisa just send me £50 instead
Better deal, you send me/us £50 and I'll send you some contact emails.

I don't know anyone that plays anything as, erm, soft style as you play Andy, but I can put you in touch with some people who may.
Old 06 April 2010, 10:00 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

I have never understood the whole DJ thing, I can sort of get the Fatboy Slim thing where he makes music but isnt a lot of it just playing someone elses records and trying to eliminate any obvious join by timing, speed and pitch, is the skill mainly in choosing the right records for the audience and dovetail together nicely, I should imagine some just wont fit together whatever you do, are a lot of dance records designed for DJ's to handle ? is the main skill judging your audience and playlist or the syncing them together, genuine question and I am sure its a skill but I just cant really understand how the big DJ's get thousands of pounds for playing music someone else has created, are they that much better than someone with some decks at home or is it a name thing ?
Old 06 April 2010, 10:15 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I have never understood the whole DJ thing, I can sort of get the Fatboy Slim thing where he makes music but isnt a lot of it just playing someone elses records and trying to eliminate any obvious join by timing, speed and pitch, is the skill mainly in choosing the right records for the audience and dovetail together nicely, I should imagine some just wont fit together whatever you do, are a lot of dance records designed for DJ's to handle ? is the main skill judging your audience and playlist or the syncing them together, genuine question and I am sure its a skill but I just cant really understand how the big DJ's get thousands of pounds for playing music someone else has created, are they that much better than someone with some decks at home or is it a name thing ?
FBS was a DJ first, playing other peoples stuff, then produced his own stuff when more famous, I think.

Same as many other DJ's.

It is a skill, timing etc. I could go to one of my mates, **** about with his decks for an hour and think it was great, when in reality it was shit, compared to how he mixed the same records.
Old 06 April 2010, 10:26 PM
wrighty338
Scooby Regular

if you love music, you understand. you go to an event, you get your favorite choons played all night long and everyone is there to get on and have a good time, regardless of whos choons it is that get played. most dj's today are marketed as an artist, its not about simply playing other peoples music anymore.

its actually more complicated then you think though.

Quick Reply: Pioneer Cdj1000 Mk3's