Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Fecking usernames and passwords

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2010, 12:18 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fecking usernames and passwords

Does anyone else ever forget which username and password they have for various different applications/networks/services etc?

Just at work alone, I have one username and password to log-in to the LAN, then in turn I have various usernames and passwords to log-in to the different applications.

This week, I have so far managed to mix up my intelligence database log-in credentials with that of my PNC log-in credentials for my Blackberry, resulting in me being temporarily locked out of PNC.

You wouldn't believe how frustrating it is being unable to check PNC on my blackberry. It's made my Blackberry about as useful as an iPhone.

Cue the Applettes....
Old 19 March 2010, 12:32 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I'm more annoyed about my Blackberry temporarily being as useless as an iPhone.

It only takes a short phone call to unlock the account.
Old 19 March 2010, 01:13 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I use something called KeePass. Its an open source application that can be run as a portable app. A single long password is the easiest way to open it up, and then you can search your passwords.

It has the ability to categorize your passwords, and also has some autofill abilities. In addition you can use a combination of keyfiles and passwords to open up your database. Basically its as complex as you want it to be, I just keep it simple

http://keepass.info/
Old 19 March 2010, 02:41 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I know, I have enough trouble with the many user accounts I have on here let alone anywhere else

Pete
Old 19 March 2010, 02:46 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Luminous
I use something called KeePass. KeePass Password Safe
Yep, that's a goodun, whack it on a usb stick and carry it wherever you go, job done
Old 19 March 2010, 03:41 PM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

in work we have users with laptops with fully encrypted hard drives and a key fob to use with them, it is surprising the number of these laptops that come in with the password written on a piece of paper and that piece of paper stuck to the laptop, one even had a list of previous passwords and a list of future passwords too !!!!!!

windyboy
Old 19 March 2010, 07:59 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try being a DBA, hundreds of service accounts, databases accounts, domain accounts, support logins etc etc.

I am always supportive of coppers who get to grips with computers, after ten years at GMP it never ceased to amaze me what some of them could do, doubly imprsssive, what with the cloven hooves and everything
Old 19 March 2010, 08:02 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
I'm more annoyed about my Blackberry temporarily being as useless as an iPhone.

It only takes a short phone call to unlock the account.
Applettes don't seem to be biting

The last company I worked for used to make you change your password every couple of weeks and it had to be quite a bit diferent to previous ones. You couldn't have nobber1 then nobber2 etc. I was always getting blocked.
Old 19 March 2010, 08:05 PM
Quasi Modo
Scooby Regular

Cloven hooves? not trotters then?
Old 20 March 2010, 04:01 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MMT WRX
Applettes don't seem to be biting
I will have to try harder next time
Old 21 March 2010, 10:26 AM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

Not too much of a problem at home with usernames as I've managed to get Phantom Flan Flinger on all my regular sites, though I did have to do PFF on AVForums. I have a few passwords of varying security depending on where I log in.

The systems at work all have different password schemes. One requires a generated password from a token, one a keycard, a couple use a nine digit password generated in consonant, vowel, consonant format and one requires a 8 digit password with at least 1 capital, one number and 1 symbol.

Dave.
Old 21 March 2010, 10:54 AM
Xx-IAN-xX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by windyboy
in work we have users with laptops with fully encrypted hard drives and a key fob to use with them, it is surprising the number of these laptops that come in with the password written on a piece of paper and that piece of paper stuck to the laptop, one even had a list of previous passwords and a list of future passwords too !!!!!!

windyboy

Hangs head in shame
Old 21 March 2010, 11:49 AM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

It is frustrating. I often get the 'your password is too short and must contain a letter a fruit and number' stuff. Well there we go then, I'll have to make one up and write it down then!

With so many different accounts/forums/banking/HMRC/online shopping resources out there the IT guys need to get real and realise it aint about their theoretical password hurdles it is FAR better if the user is able to use one that they REMEMBER and hence never have to write it down. Most will pop it on a PostIt, on a scrap of paper in their wallet, or, like me, write it in txt file (using my own patented encryption made up language ) handy on the desktop. I defy anyone to do an online vat return without doing that!!!

D
Old 21 March 2010, 03:30 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

All mine for work are in a text file, buried in an app folder with a generic extension that looks like the software created it.

Its also in an encrypted drive.

Just thought. I have no backup of it. I lose it, thats 32 servers I'm locked out of.
Old 21 March 2010, 04:32 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I like that Simon. Anyone that can find it as a .dll in an app that's over a gig big can have all my online banking passcodes then (and my SN one made in the days they were simple and memorable)!!! D
Old 22 March 2010, 02:14 AM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i use xmarks for Firefox.
Old 22 March 2010, 12:09 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I have indeed forgot a couple of passwords of the last couple of weeks, due to it being a new job and new passwords for a lot of systems and not having enough time to change them all something memorable. I've even gone into a few setups and changed the password, come back to it a week later and tried the default supplied to me but it doesn't work, then recalled that I changed it, but not what to!

Silly and unsecure as it may be, using the same password for all can be handy, alas there are different complexity requirements for many of the systems. Nothing like keeping to a standard!

On my machine at home and the iPhone I have got 1Password, which is pretty good, and I'm tempted to buy another copy and install it at work.
Old 22 March 2010, 02:13 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by +Doc+
i use xmarks for Firefox.
Does this live in 'the cloud' or does it only work on one machine it is set up on?

Have also often wondered if a dodgy IT admin can access an users password and maybe then try it in another scenario? My SNet is the same as MLR after all!

D
Old 22 March 2010, 03:10 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
A friend keeps his passwords in a text file - but encrypted. With a password ... But so far so good.

But I agree it is a pain in the posterior when you have to remember several. Which is why people write them down ... But which is better. An *insecure* password committed to memory or a *secure* password written on a post-it note under your keyboard ....

Ho hum ...

Dave
How does he do that. I have all mine in a notepad file, that is linked to the start menu, so its just,

Start
Passwords.

But how do you protect a notepad file?
Old 22 March 2010, 03:40 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulr
How does he do that. I have all mine in a notepad file, that is linked to the start menu, so its just,

Start
Passwords.

But how do you protect a notepad file?
This is how clever these insular password challenge setting admins' are! (no offence Paul - do it myself...).

D
Old 22 March 2010, 08:29 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel
Does this live in 'the cloud' or does it only work on one machine it is set up on?

Have also often wondered if a dodgy IT admin can access an users password and maybe then try it in another scenario? My SNet is the same as MLR after all!

D
Its stored in cyberspace and you can share your info with as many PC's you install it on.
Need a passcode to access them first time.
Old 23 March 2010, 12:59 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus

On my machine at home and the iPhone I have got 1Password, which is pretty good,
I expect that's the same as the OneSign agent which is due to roll out across our lan sometime soon and be compulsory, rather than now, where we just hit "No" to using the OneSign in option.

I think they are just installing this to save money on IT support staff.

But back on topic - I asked IT support to reset my password, which they did. My Blackberry is no longer as useless as an iPhone.