Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Food poisioning, what can I do....?

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2010, 05:45 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Food poisioning, what can I do....?

On friday nigth we took the Father-in-Law and the family out for dinner to celebrate his 65th birthday, 6 of us in total. 3 of us had Oysters followed by a hot Shellfish platter.

All 3 of us were fine on Saturday and all 3 of us were ill on Sunday and Monday, flu like symptoms, sore bones, vomitting from both ends

Pretty sure that had to be food posioning. Phoned the restraunt and got the usual fob off. Not our fault, we sell 100 of oysters etc. However the restraunt was quiet on friday, only 4-5 five tables all night and I didn't notice anyone having the same as us.
Normally this sort of thing wouldn't bother me, but they don't seem to care in the slightest other than to deny fault. The bill was about £350 and I missed a days work on monday and as I work for myself this means lost revenue.

What can I do? Can I chase them for my lost revenue? Will I just have to be happy bad mouthing them to everyone?
Old 16 March 2010, 05:52 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Contact the council health department
Old 16 March 2010, 05:58 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

What he/she said ^
Old 16 March 2010, 06:01 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Cool, I have mailed the local council explaining the situation. Will wait and see what comes of it.
Old 16 March 2010, 06:05 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Kill the vet ? oh you are human do what r32 said.
Old 16 March 2010, 06:07 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

You may fine it's not food poising - via spoiled / stale food.

(You might not like to read this)

The norovirus (and similar) have been reported to travel to the seas through sewage which has been untreated properly. The Oysters which are filter feeders then munch on infected sewage becoming carriers. You then eat the oysters & become infected.

Only through thorough cooking (which is detrimental to the oysters taste & texture) are you able to kill the virus.

J

Last edited by BlkKnight; 16 March 2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 16 March 2010, 06:50 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
You may fine it's not food poising - via spoiled / stale food.

(You might not like to read this)

The norovirus (and similar) have been reported to travel to the seas through sewage which has been untreated properly. The Oysters which are filter feeders then munch on infected sewage becoming carriers. You then eat the oysters & become infected.

Only through thorough cooking (which is detrimental to the oysters taste & texture) are you able to kill the virus.

J
Ok, so eating them raw (with a little tabasco and paprika), in a restaurant located 100 yards from the front gate of a Nuclear Power station probably wasn't the best idea then?
Old 16 March 2010, 06:53 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Oh and at £7.50 for 3 and 2 dozen ordered, I was expecting a couple of pearls, not a dose of the squirts
Old 16 March 2010, 07:35 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hail-hail
Ok, so eating them raw (with a little tabasco and paprika), in a restaurant located 100 yards from the front gate of a Nuclear Power station probably wasn't the best idea then?
approximate location of this restaurant as it sounds like its very close to me!
Old 16 March 2010, 09:50 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

Real food poisoning onset takes 2 to 3 days to develop and lasts 3 to 5 days.

You would end up delirious and hallucinations are common. You would be so ill, you'd likely have a doctor out who has to report it by law. He will ask for a stool sample (which won't be a problem!) and send it for testing.
The place suspected of the source has to be visited and checked by law and sod all happens after that!!!

I got food poisoning from a local KFC as that was the only food my wife didn't eat for the previous 7 days.

I have never been so ill, and the doctor visited several times to give me injections. My case was confirmed and the local KFC had a visit from health officials. I received a letter saying nothing had been found on the visit and their procedures for hygiene were fine. I lost over £400 in wages and there was nothing I could do to claim it back!!

The time line sounds like you did have a milder form of food poisoning, shame you didn't visit your doc.
Old 16 March 2010, 10:45 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coupe-Se
Real food poisoning onset takes 2 to 3 days to develop and lasts 3 to 5 days.

You would end up delirious and hallucinations are common. You would be so ill, you'd likely have a doctor out who has to report it by law. He will ask for a stool sample (which won't be a problem!) and send it for testing.
The place suspected of the source has to be visited and checked by law and sod all happens after that!!!

I got food poisoning from a local KFC as that was the only food my wife didn't eat for the previous 7 days.

I have never been so ill, and the doctor visited several times to give me injections. My case was confirmed and the local KFC had a visit from health officials. I received a letter saying nothing had been found on the visit and their procedures for hygiene were fine. I lost over £400 in wages and there was nothing I could do to claim it back!!

The time line sounds like you did have a milder form of food poisoning, shame you didn't visit your doc.

From NHS site
The time it takes for symptoms to develop after eating contaminated food is called the incubation period.

The incubation period can range from one hour to 90 days. Most cases of food poisoning have an incubation period of between one and three days.

I had Salmonella once and I got the symptoms after about 2 hrs and was severely ill for about a week, I really thought I was dying. Went to the doctors and ended up filling in all sorts of forms for the council etc I worked in a food processing environment at the time and had to have 3 clear stool samples before I was allowed back to work. Many people say they had a touch of food poisoning but you really would know if you genuinely had.
Old 16 March 2010, 10:48 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I was just about to post exactly the same thing.

'Real' food poisoning is hugely variable as it is such a broad term with many potential agents ranging from toxins to bacterial contamination.
Old 16 March 2010, 10:55 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

TBH, it sounds more like the norovius than food poisoning. I had a it a couple of weeks ago and it was unreal. Perhaps one of the waiters was feeling bad, but came into work anyways.
astraboy.
Old 16 March 2010, 10:59 PM
New_scooby_04

Food poisoning from shellfish takes hold very quickly. The bacteria is very potent and your body ill declare an "all out" order sooner rather than later!

Could be the Norovirus; it's doing the rounds recently - I got it a couple of weeks ago; not pleasant!
Old 16 March 2010, 11:00 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Wink

Originally Posted by astraboy
Perhaps one of the waiters was feeling bad, but came into work anyways.
astraboy.

work

your food
Old 16 March 2010, 11:00 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I got food poisoning about 3 christmas's ago. Went out on the 23rd for a night out, had some chicken from a dodgy fast food place and come the 25th I was feeling awful.

Even worse was that I was due to work boxing day night shift 12 hours. I have never been to work so ill in my life. Was firing from both ends all day boxing day so got little sleep and was as mentioned above hallucinating at work whilst operating machinery. I feel stupid now as I could have killed someone but my (then) employers insisted I would be on a disciplinary if I didn't turn in

Never really had any proof that it was the chicken place so couldn't take it further. Very careful about what I eat now even when pissed.
Old 16 March 2010, 11:15 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Nothing to do with the guinless then
Old 16 March 2010, 11:32 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most common cause of food poisoning are enterotoxins released by the bacteria in food which is "off" and contaminated,....... usually 6-8 hours after ingestion it all kicks off.

Meal at 8.00pm and throwing up at 2.00 in the morning!!

Shaun
Old 16 March 2010, 11:36 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

I got Campylobacter poisoning once from I believe a hotel in Slough a few years back. Trouble is I'd stayed in a few hotels and eaten in a couple of establishments, so it was hard to prove they were the culprits.

Worst diarrhoea and stomach pain I've ever experienced, the Govt agency at the time (I forget the name) was keen to get involved but due to too many candidates, it was going to be hard for them to prove. These days I try to eat always at known, well established restaurants and avoid the higher risk foods unless I know the restaurant well

Old 16 March 2010, 11:37 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Couldve copped an open one , difficult to prove either way ?
Old 17 March 2010, 12:35 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

My wife and I had the Norovirus, all over in 24 hours but not a great journey. We both had it at exactly the same time over a Friday night, we thought it was food poisoning but we hadn't shared the same meal since the Thursday morning
Old 17 March 2010, 11:43 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

That kind of food poisoning is pretty awful and can be quite dangerous.

I have had it from both a bad scampi once and a bad oyster another time. Its something you don't ever want again.

Difficult to prove of course, I wish you luck.

Les
Old 18 March 2010, 04:49 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
approximate location of this restaurant as it sounds like its very close to me!
Hunterston.
Old 18 March 2010, 04:54 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Got a nice phone call from the council. Firstly asking me how I was, which was nice.
Anyway, she thought it was likley a virus contained in the raw oysters and basically nobodys fault.

However, they will check out the restraunt and supplier to ensure that thery are storing their food correctly, meeting all environmental rules etc. They will phone me back with the outcome. All in all a good response for the council

I can see the headlines now.

"Local Council pleases member of public Shocker!"