Default Vulcan

No way ffs
BBC News - Vulcan 'could be lost from skies'
Old 11 February 2010, 06:47 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will be a shame, it's an awesome sight.

have donated to them myself, hope the extra publicity helps raise some extra cash to keep it in the air!
Old 11 February 2010, 07:13 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Just what is going on here, though? About every six months we are bombarded with requests for cash to keep it flying.

WHY does it cost so much to maintain? WHY does it never have any money left? WHERE does the last lot of donated cash go to?

And TBH, if it's so expensive, can we afford it any more?
Old 11 February 2010, 08:05 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's an awesome aircraft, and I have seen them flying at air displays along with Concorde, but they are more of a money pit than a modified impreza. There comes a time when it must just end, no matter how awesome it is.
Old 11 February 2010, 09:44 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Just what is going on here, though? About every six months I bombarded SN with posts questioning why i should keep posting.

WHY do i cost so much to maintain? WHY does i never have any money left? WHERE does the last lot of donated cash go to?

And TBH, if i'm so expensive, can you afford to keep funding me any more?

Because its the last of the V bombers, and a bloody fantastic plane to boot.

It seems every Jan/Feb they give out the "only months left to keep it in the air"

Yet when you try to donate, they put silly obstacles in the way..

They didn't even have donations by paypal last time i wanted to donate.

The only way was to send your card details etc in an envelope ffs

as if!!!!!

They need a strong management organisation to look after the funding/ fundraising, and let the engineers do what they do best.

This is one plane that seriously needs to be kept in the air!!!! now that Concorde is no more

Mart
Old 12 February 2010, 04:52 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Just what is going on here, though? About every six months we are bombarded with requests for cash to keep it flying.

WHY does it cost so much to maintain? WHY does it never have any money left? WHERE does the last lot of donated cash go to?

And TBH, if it's so expensive, can we afford it any more?
It is very expensive to operate, being a highly complicated aircraft it needs a lot of servicing and maintainance and the personnel and items required cost a lot.

It is worth remembering that it played a very large part during the Cold War in deterring the East from imagining that it would ever be worth their while initiating any kind of an attack on the West. If you don't remember the Cold War, you might find it interesting to talk to some of those who lived through it in those rather nervous times.

Suffice it to say that the other side was frightened of the retribution that the Vulcan could exact if they were ever so foolish as to try something on right up to the day it was taken out of service. The Eastern representatives used to attend the Waddington Air Show each year and they used to show their respect whenever they saw it display.

This country owes a lot to the Vulcan, not only for the above but for the effect it had on the Argentine forces in the Falkands when they suddenly realised they could be bombed by an aircraft making the longest ever fully armed aerial attack and also hitting the target. That made them think twice believe me!

I think this aircraft should be taken into the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and be maintained by the country as a precious memory of its most valuable service to this country over so many years.

Les