Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Letter to the Daily Telegraph today - Sir, keep the Vulcan flying

Old 11 February 2009, 11:36 AM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nat21
It is not only the bankers who need to apologise for the state of the economy - Telegraph

Now that's a good effort and just what the delta lady needed BUT

FOUR people who wrote that are Multi-Millionaires and One a Multi-Billionaire........wtf don't they all give a couple of hundred of grand each to the campaign??? It's a drop in a very big ocean for them. Dickinson owns and maintains a Boeing 707 ffs. If they meant it they would dip their own hands in their pockets, no? Branson has a history of doing this...like when he said the same about Concorde and that he would buy them for a quid each and run them....when in fact he never EVER made BA or AF an offer of any sort.
Whilst I agree they could probably fund it themselves, this is just one of many many projects these people are probably involved in.

The wealthy get many requests for funding for many projects - they can't fund them all, or they'd be broke in no time.
Old 11 February 2009, 11:39 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Good point;

It smells like Bob Geldof constantly telling us all to give him all our f***in' money.

Personally, I think the national lottery should be funding it. I mean, they have wasted plenty of money on artsy farty white elephants in the past, maybe time to put it to something that is truly worth more than the sum of its parts (unlike the Olympics - which is probably sucking up all the lottery funds atm).
Old 11 February 2009, 11:45 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think you might find that they will have already donated a fair bit of cash. I also think that the lefty PC ******* believe that supporting the Vulcan would be construed as "glorifying war" We shall just have to hope that they can make an impression and let the Vulcan join the Lancaster and the Spitfire and Hurricane.

ACM Michael Knight was a very highly respected senior officer during the time of the Cold War. He came flying with me once just to keep his hand in. I got him to do the take off and as we were climbing out he turned to me and said"That was better than sex Les!" Quite a character.

Les
Old 11 February 2009, 11:49 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Wouldn't it be wonderful to see the Vulcan at home in part of an extended BBMF? I saw it fly last year for the first time and it was truly an awesome sight
Old 11 February 2009, 12:19 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

There's no way this government will commit funding to keeping an obsolete museum piece flying

They won't even put proper funding forward to keep current equipment working properly
Old 11 February 2009, 12:40 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Scoobychick
I saw it fly last year for the first time and it was truly an awesome sight
Me too: It was great to see it in a public flying display; Its certanly worth keeping in the air and not just as a static display.

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...n/ce78db77.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...n/c88c92f1.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...n/f877c18d.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k3...n/defeaf1a.jpg

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 February 2009 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Wrong pics :rolleyes:
Old 11 February 2009, 03:04 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Unfortunately for the likes of Nat and Leslie 99.99% of the people can think of 100 things they would rather spend 100 quid on, let alone 100 quid a month
Old 11 February 2009, 03:27 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

It's a fantastic achievement to get it back in the air (it flew over our house too last year), but I can't see it staying up there on public donations alone. Pretty much all of those enthusiastic individuals who have wanted to help out financially, will have done so by now and I cannot see that number getting much larger in today's economic climate. Many will be somewhat disillusioned by the never-ending calls for donations to keep the project's head just above water and have unforeseen money worries of their own right now.

I am sure everyone involved thought that as long as it was back in the sky, then some corporate benefactor(s) would come along and bank-roll the next 10 years.

I think that the Lottery Fund people are probably rather embarassed by the whole affair: there was a lot of opposition to the grant at the time as the Vulcan to the Sky project was borderline to say the least in respect of the criteria needed for a grant. I am sure they expected more than a handful of brief displays during the wet summer of 2008 for their money.

As for the MoD/RAF, I believe that they have already helped out enormously in terms of helping with flight testing etc., and already have many other non-combat expenses of their own to justify (BBMF, Red Arrows etc) but it may well be the only option left to keep the big Delta in the sky.

We wish them all well.
Old 12 February 2009, 11:27 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is so expensive to keep it going that it was not surprising that they were unable to more displays last year.

Les
Old 12 February 2009, 11:51 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what exactly is the point in keeping it running? From someone like me who knows very little about the Vulcan etc it justs seems like a complete waste of money to ask for funding from something like the gov. or even the lottery when it could go to much more needed projects.
Old 12 February 2009, 12:12 PM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

because its british and its about being british,
Old 12 February 2009, 01:42 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
what exactly is the point in keeping it running? From someone like me who knows very little about the Vulcan etc it justs seems like a complete waste of money to ask for funding from something like the gov. or even the lottery when it could go to much more needed projects.
Because it's one of the sole remaining illustrations of what the British engineering industry was capable of before successive Labour governments sold us down the river to keep the Americans happy
Old 12 February 2009, 03:36 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

should also keep the Austin Allegro going then
Old 12 February 2009, 04:52 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by mrtheedge2u2
should also keep the Austin Allegro going then
Mock if you like, but it in its day, it was a pinnical of design, we should at least keep one running (in s**ty metallic brown, of course ).

Of course its primary purpose should be in the display of the British automotive FAIL museum at Gaydon

Points to note: First BL car to have hydragas (of which continued until being used right into the 2000's with the MG-F). Also, like the Maxi, it had a traverse engine, FWD, 5 foward gears whilst Fords and Vauxhalls of the era still had 4 forward gears and RWD driving a live axle suspended on leaf springs. Don't forget the square steering wheel! And its fair to say, it looked like no other car on the road at the time! (I'm not say it looks good, just pointing it out ). Oh and the daft oversight not to make it a hatchback like the Maxi was.....

Last edited by ALi-B; 12 February 2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: just adding a little motivation