FAO Les: Book reccomendation.

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2006, 10:04 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool FAO Les: Book reccomendation.

Vulcan 607 by Rowland White.
Its a book about the Black Buck Vulcan raids on Stanley.
Only just started reading it, but its very entertaining. for example
Tourists enjoying the breathtaking panorama of the grand canyon must have been unnerved to find themselves looking DOWN on the huge delta wings of a british Vulcan bomber sweeping below them
Closely followed by:
Once on the ground at Nellis [afb].. he entered building 201, RED FLAG's HQ, and began to get his bearings, he looked up at the board that displayed the day's flying programme and winced. Over a map of the Grand Canyon was an unmissable red mark bearing the words "NOT BELOW 20,000 FEET". wonderful scenery though he thought
I'm gonna enjoy this
astraboy.
Old 03 July 2006, 12:18 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He would be more interested in:-

"Vulcan Mechanics, oil changes and tyre pressures" by 'Ima Dreamer'

Pete
Old 03 July 2006, 02:48 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that Astraboy. I was looking at 607 on Saturday at the RAF Waddington air display. It is standing outside on the airfield-getting corroded It used to be one of my favourite air display aircraft.

I took part in two Red Flag exercises at Nellis AFB, just north of las Vegas, it involved flying through the Nevada Desert at low level at night through the gaps in the mountain ranges which you could not see because it was inky black and no lighting on the ground to help. We had to rely on the radar to get us through the mountain passes. One of the most dangerous exercises the Vulcan ever did. Quite frightening believe me. The mountains came out of the ground like dragon's teeth. They never managed to successfully simulate shooting us down with the fighters or the ground missiles though and we used to throw out an IR flare at times just so the fighters could see us to have a go at us. I did once get in a position to call "splash" on an F15 pilot's tail during a day flight. His fellow squadron members never let him forget that He bought my crew a beer though in the O' Club. We used to tell them that the flight refuelling probe on the nose was a big cannon.

We drove out to see the Grand Canyon one weekend and I was talking to the park wardens to see if I could do a publicity flight doing a steep climb out from the canyon for a photo shoot. They said it would be fine and were looking forward to seeing it. There are tourist flights authorised to fly just below the north rim of the canyon which is 2000 feet higher than the south rim.

When we got back to Nellis AFB, the RAF publicity bloke said it was too expensive to send a photographer out to the canyon so the best ever photo of a Vulcan was lost!

Tim Laming is writing the definitive book on the Vulcan and I have sent him a good bit of material for it.

Wind your neck in PSL, you are just jealous!

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 03 July 2006 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03 July 2006, 02:52 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Les, whatever happened about finding a pilot for that Vulcan they're trying to keep airworthy?
Old 03 July 2006, 02:54 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I did once get in a position to call "splash" on an F15 pilot's tail during a day flight
What does "splash" mean in that context?
Old 03 July 2006, 02:57 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Missile lock on?
Old 03 July 2006, 03:18 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Splash - in the water! (i.e. dead)
Old 03 July 2006, 03:43 PM
stevencotton
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks. Shouldn't it be "in the drink" ?
Old 03 July 2006, 04:09 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I was at Waddington on Saturday. First airshow I've attended since 1985. Not quite how I remember things, but still a good day out.

Highlights of the show for me were the NZAF 757 going "vertical" and the Typhoon doing the same thing.

One was clearly faster than the other, but it made me chuckle none the less.

Was having a chat with the Binbrook Lightning guys. Not sounding too good - they need to find a new home for it, and it's not been run up for over a year now as they don't have easy access to the aircraft anymore. If it ends up getting cut up by a scrap man, I'll cry.
Old 04 July 2006, 10:22 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Pity we could not have met Qwerty. I was with the Farewell to the Canberra lot.

Brendan,

They have got a pilot for the Vulcan who is effectively guarding it from other qualified Vulcan air display pilots. Not even prepared to consider a spare in case of sickness. The real problem is that they are very short of money. They want to roll it out of the hangar in August in an effort to get sponsorship but it will cost many thousands to do that. They then need an absolute fortune to get it into flying trim after that since it will have to be stripped out again to continue the work to be done. I hope they succeed of course even if I can't get my hands on it. Unless he can't fly it for some reason eventually! I was told that it will be severely restricted by the CAA during a display however.

"Splash" is a time honoured word used to mean that you have got in a position to shoot the other bloke out of the sky. Fighter pilots get unbelievably pissed off if a bomber calls "Splash" on them

Les
Old 04 July 2006, 10:24 AM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Awwww Les, if I'd known you were up this neck of the woods, you could have dropped in for a cuppa, we're just down the road from Waddy.
Yve
Old 04 July 2006, 10:48 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What a shame I did not know that Yve, I stayed overnight on Friday with one of my old fishing mates in Cranwell Village. Really would have liked to meet you.

I did get well and truly lost in the back lanes around Harmston since I have forgotten the roads since I was stationed at Waddo all that time ago.

Les