Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Grinding Teeth - what is modern treatment?

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2010, 11:09 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Grinding Teeth - what is modern treatment?

A 20-something pal of my son's grinds his teeth at night. Now I know that years back a dentist would supply a plastic guard to put over teeth to prevent any damage, usually on lower jaw. Stress was probably the underlying problem.

So what is modern treatment, perhaps nothing has changed?

Thanks, David
Old 04 February 2010, 11:33 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Find the reason for the stress,and fix it.

Les
Old 04 February 2010, 12:34 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Treatment usually consists of wearing a splint to protect the teeth (the guard you describe) when there are active periods of tooth grinding. (Bruxism).

We used to make splints with a ball bearing at the front which hurt when you pressed the teeth together (localised interference splint) to discourage grinding but not in favour at the moment LOL

Other treatments are relaxation based or accupuncture.

Shaun
Old 04 February 2010, 01:05 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Pliers
Old 04 February 2010, 01:05 PM
Hysteria1983
Scooby Regular

I think prevention is better than a cure. Not much point in having to wear a guard for x amount of years.

If it is something that the child has only started to do of late, then there is probably something that has happened and had an impact on the child.

School is usually the issue, so maybe your friend needs to find out what might be troubling his child.

Obviously the mouth guard is a temporary fix, but as I have worn them in the past when having major work on my teeth, I know how fast you cat through them at a 'normal' pace. Someone who grinds their teeth would get through a guard in a matter of weeks if they do it a lot.
Old 04 February 2010, 03:01 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

I used to grind my teeth as a kid and a teenager and as an adult.
I'd do it in time to music or a count in my head and sometimes I'd wake from sleep hearing my teeth cracking where I'd ground them so hard together.
It had nothing to do with stress in my case.

Just tell him that if he doesn't stop doing it he'll end up with micro cracks in his teeth and an unwillingness to smile in his 40s unless he wears falsies.
Old 04 February 2010, 03:40 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

A soft bite raising appliance is usually provided by a dentist when children grind their teeth. (Bruxism) Many adults also have them prescribed.

Geoff.
Old 04 February 2010, 03:51 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I have to wear a gum shield if I drink alcohol, have done for 15 or so years now, at the start I got them from the dentist, but now I just use the rugby/boxing type ones, as they are cheaper and last 10 times as long.
Old 04 February 2010, 04:15 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
I have to wear a gum shield if I drink alcohol, have done for 15 or so years now, at the start I got them from the dentist, but now I just use the rugby/boxing type ones, as they are cheaper and last 10 times as long.
This is a genuine question: But why? Is it to protect your teeth from alcohol, or do you grind your teeth together when you drink alcohol, or is it just in preparation for the drunken punch-ups you're likely to have??
Old 04 February 2010, 04:54 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Yeah, didn't really make it clear in my post, I don't wear one while I am drinking, would look a bit of a doughnut in the pub.

After I have had a drink, I wear one when I go to sleep, there is probably some underlining problem, but I can't be arsed finding out what it is tbh, just routine now.
Old 04 February 2010, 06:14 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, perversion is better that cure.
Therefore I would recommend plenty of sex in order to deal with this type of problem!
Old 04 February 2010, 06:34 PM
scud8
Scooby Regular

The idea is that you wear the splint at night for a while and it trains the jaw muscles to adopt a relaxed position and not grind - at which point you should be able to stop wearing the splint.

I had the problem undiagnosed for years and I was forever breaking teeth because of it - so I now have lots of fillings, a crown, a bridge and a few missing molars right at the back. Hopefully cured now - no breakages for a good few years (touch-wood).