Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pyrolytic (Self Cleaning) Ovens - Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2010, 01:31 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pyrolytic (Self Cleaning) Ovens - Any good?

As per recent thread on here my old Ariston died a death before xmas. Have just about sorted my house ins claim so ready to purchase a new oven and pretty much decided on a Bosch.

Now Im wondering if its worth plumping out the extra £100 or so for Pyrolytic Cleaning where the oven heats itself to something silly like 500c and obliterates any mess in the oven.

We all know oven cleaning is a horrible chore and getting someone in isnt cheap but Im wondering if these modern functions really do work.

Anyone got one and can comment?

Cheers
Simon
Old 08 January 2010, 01:48 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

I have one and the wife thinks its quite good ;D. You still need to clean the glass and wire racks though. Very good if you like a roast dinner on a Sunday.
Old 08 January 2010, 01:53 PM
computerangel
Scooby Regular

Cool Oven

I would definitely recommend them, they have three settings for cleaning. The best one is the HBA76B650B, this can also take the optional telescopic rails. However they do need to be taken out when cleaning. Always worth doing this overnight and leaving the extractor hood on a low setting as the oven can kick out some odour in this mode.

Any questions please let me know.
Old 08 January 2010, 02:11 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Cheers - sounds a goer then.

Computerangel do you sell ovens or something lol? What are the 3 settings then?

Yeah the Logixx looks good but steep at £874 and not sure I need all those cooking functions lol.

Saw the telescopic rails but Im not sure they are much benefit unless your basting. Certainly wouldnd want to pay extra for them.

Cheers
Simon
Old 08 January 2010, 02:36 PM
computerangel
Scooby Regular

The three settings are for the cleaning options from light to medium to heavy. No i don't sell them but i know a bit about them. It also has a auto cook function that is brilliant.
Old 08 January 2010, 06:07 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

What's the power usage on these things when they're cleaning...must be pretty steep!!
Old 08 January 2010, 06:20 PM
New_scooby_04

Did anyone else read the thread title and think:

"Cool, an oven that gets really, really drunk!"
Old 08 January 2010, 09:07 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hanley
What's the power usage on these things when they're cleaning...must be pretty steep!!
We sell the Bosch & Miele Ovens and get that question quite a lot. On average a complete Pyrolytic cleaning cycle will cost around 50p. Compare that to a bottle of Mr Muscle @ £3-£4, the hassle of having to clean it yourself, the rubber gloves, the cloths and the fact that it's a nasty thing to have to do and Pyrolytic is ALWAYS the way to go

Last edited by B0DSKI; 08 January 2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08 January 2010, 11:24 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

One of the ovens in my Rosieres cooker is Pyrolytic. It's brilliant for doing roasts in

We just turn it up to the self clean setting every month or so and the job's done
Old 09 January 2010, 08:14 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Wow thats very cheap Bodski. How long do the cycles last for?

I think Im definately sold as I hate cleaning ovens and do like roasting joints of meat which is always messy.

Just need to wait for my ins cpy to cough up some cash.

Simon
Old 09 January 2010, 09:12 AM
Daryl
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic

Saw the telescopic rails but Im not sure they are much benefit unless your basting. Certainly wouldn't want to pay extra for them.
Agree that pyrolitic cleaning works brilliantly.

Telescopic rails are fantastic, makes it much easier to baste, as you say, but also makes it easier to get heavy casseroles in and out and to pour Yorkie batter straight into the tin without removing it from the oven!
Old 09 January 2010, 01:25 PM
B0DSKI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
Wow thats very cheap Bodski. How long do the cycles last for?

I think Im definately sold as I hate cleaning ovens and do like roasting joints of meat which is always messy.

Just need to wait for my ins cpy to cough up some cash.

Simon
You know M8 I'm not entirely sure. The Miele ovens are sensor controlled and the cleaning time is calculated automatically, as are the Bosch & Siemens. I've never sat round a customers house and had one go though an entire cycle though. @ around 50p i'd of thought somewhere around an hour???

Last edited by B0DSKI; 09 January 2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 09 January 2010, 09:18 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Our Zanussi has two pyro cleaning modes. 1 is normal clean and 2 is a heavy clean. Number 1 takes about 1hr 30mins to complete including cool down time. (It locks the door to stop you opening until cooled down as it reaches 500 degrees). All you do then is wipe around with a clean damp cloth. You must leave the extractor on or open a window a little. First time I did a pyro clean I switch it on then went out. Came back to a ground floor full of smoke/burnt food smell! I would not buy an oven without now!
Old 09 January 2010, 09:24 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

You can clean barbecue grates in the too.
Old 10 January 2010, 10:53 AM
computerangel
Scooby Regular

Default See Above

Proby, see my first comment about leaving it on overnight and put your extractor on a low setting.
Old 14 January 2010, 01:50 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Ended up ordering a Bosch HBA73B550B.To be delivered a week on sat. Damn Im looking forward to having a working oven again

Simon
Old 14 January 2010, 09:44 PM
Proby521
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by computerangel
Proby, see my first comment about leaving it on overnight and put your extractor on a low setting.
Yeah, I tend to do that now. Either open the window a little or put the extractor on lowest setting.
Old 29 November 2010, 03:24 PM
sarahlh
Scooby Newbie

Default Remove Oven Racks message on Siemens Pyroklean

Hi there

We have a Siemens combination single oven with Pyroklean (spelt wrong I know). It is only 3 months old and last night we decided to use the Pyroklean system.

We took the racks out, took the rails out along with the side bits and have left nothing easily removable in there.

We started the cleaning program but it will not start. It beeps at us stating a "Remove Oven Racks" message.

We have tried this over and over and have now booked an engineer to come and have a look but what we are worried about is that it may not be the sensor at fault.

When I asked the the lady on the phone "could there just be grease on the sensor not making it work?" She said yes and if that was the case, we would be charged £85 for the engineer as it is not a fault!!!!

I asked her "where is the sensor so that I can try and clean it a little?" and she didn't know.

At 3 months old I am not feeling very happy at the moment. £85 is a lot of money.

Can someone help at all? Where is the sensor inside the oven and has anyone heard of this before?

Thank you and regards

Sarah
Old 29 November 2010, 06:32 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Get a wife/girlfriend ?
Old 30 November 2010, 09:38 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarahlh
Hi there

We have a Siemens combination single oven with Pyroklean (spelt wrong I know). It is only 3 months old and last night we decided to use the Pyroklean system.

We took the racks out, took the rails out along with the side bits and have left nothing easily removable in there.

We started the cleaning program but it will not start. It beeps at us stating a "Remove Oven Racks" message.

We have tried this over and over and have now booked an engineer to come and have a look but what we are worried about is that it may not be the sensor at fault.

When I asked the the lady on the phone "could there just be grease on the sensor not making it work?" She said yes and if that was the case, we would be charged £85 for the engineer as it is not a fault!!!!

I asked her "where is the sensor so that I can try and clean it a little?" and she didn't know.

At 3 months old I am not feeling very happy at the moment. £85 is a lot of money.

Can someone help at all? Where is the sensor inside the oven and has anyone heard of this before?

Thank you and regards

Sarah
Just bought a top of the range Siemens with pyrolytic cleaning, can't comment on whether it works / if it's any good yet though as we've only been using it a few days so no need to clean yet

Hope it works when we come to use it then

Personally I'd get them out to fix it but would refuse to pay anything to get a three month old appliance fixed. I suspect I would have not worked if you tried to use the cleaning function the first day you had it.