mercs bad in the snow

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2010, 11:35 AM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mercs bad in the snow

a few people have told me this morning,
1 being ny neighbour, couldnt get over a bridge on the m56 only works a mile away and came back home.

2, father in laws, garage owner who has one and wont take it out in this weather.

3. bloke in work wont drive his he walks, in,

also found this,

Why Are Mercedes so Difficult to Drive In The Snow???? - Mercedes-Benz Owners' Forums

btw -12'c in manchester, it went down to -18'c in stockport.
Old 07 January 2010, 11:40 AM
leeturbo2000
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by j4ckos mate

btw -12'c in manchester, it went down to -18'c in stockport.
you from stockport then? am jst down the road, hyde.
Old 07 January 2010, 11:41 AM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

On one of the news show's last night (News At 10 I think) they wer reporting about the snow somewhere and in the shot was an S class spinning it's wheel and hardly moving

windyboy
Old 07 January 2010, 11:43 AM
j4ckos mate
Scooby Regular

inbetween heald green and wythenshawe me.

it was -11'c when i got up and checked the thermometer in the garden

thinking about it i helped in pushing a big s320 the other day, got it out of the way and then sailed past,
Old 07 January 2010, 11:55 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

RWD + autobox and lack of knowdlege on how to work it to get the best out of it (i.e not just driving round in "D" and know how to properly disable the TC in addition to using the throttle and gearbox accordingly). Lack of a proper handbrake (umbrella stick, or electric/automatic on most Mercs) doesn't help as the handbrake is a very handy aid on a RWD car to stop a rear wheel from spinning on an open diff.

Stick some suitable tyres or snow socks on and they would probably be fine.

Should try driving a S-type Jag. Had to drive uncles back from hospital on Tuesday night after he was admitted overnight. Useless thing:

The autobox holds first gear below 20mph, and there is no option to manually engage second, making it extremely sensitive to throttle application/lift-off). The torque-convertor doesn't allow enough slip, so the engine and brakes are always fighting the gearbox when moving sub 5mph (which in the snow is the last thing you want) forcing me to knock it in Neutral to keep control when going downhill, then when re-engaging a gear it jolts into gear, spinning/locking up the back wheels.

Factory fit tyres are Pirellis which are usless for the cold British climate, even without the snow. The rubber just freezes solid. Traction control completely cuts power upon detecting wheelspin, so stability control needs to be disabled completely in order to move.

BMW 530 is a doddle in comparison.

Still, with delicate throttle and gentle dabbing of the handbrake to quell wheelspin, I made it back. Passing a stranded BMW X3 on the way

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 January 2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07 January 2010, 12:17 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
RWD + autobox and lack of knowdlege on how to work it to get the best out of it (i.e not just driving round in "D" and know how to properly disable the TC in addition to using the throttle and gearbox accordingly). Lack of a proper handbrake (umbrella stick, or electric/automatic on most Mercs) doesn't help as the handbrake is a very handy aid on a RWD car to stop a rear wheel from spinning on an open diff.

Stick some suitable tyres or snow socks on and they would probably be fine.

Should try driving a S-type Jag. Had to drive uncles back from hospital on Tuesday night after he was admitted overnight. Useless thing:

The autobox holds first gear below 20mph, and there is no option to manually engage second, making it extremely sensitive to throttle application/lift-off). The torque-convertor doesn't allow enough slip, so the engine and brakes are always fighting the gearbox when moving sub 5mph (which in the snow is the last thing you want) forcing me to knock it in Neutral to keep control when going downhill, then when re-engaging a gear it jolts into gear, spinning/locking up the back wheels.

Factory fit tyres are Pirellis which are usless for the cold British climate, even without the snow. The rubber just freezes solid. Traction control completely cuts power upon detecting wheelspin, so stability control needs to be disabled completely in order to move.

BMW 530 is a doddle in comparison.

Still, with delicate throttle and gentle dabbing of the handbrake to quell wheelspin, I made it back. Passing a stranded BMW X3 on the way
Not forgetting the stupidly wide tyres that sit on the snow instead of cutting through the snow

Most Mercs owned and operated by 'steerers' to get from A to B, not drivers!
Old 07 January 2010, 01:13 PM
andys
Scooby Regular

My slk has been fine to drive in the snow but you need to know what you are doing.
Old 07 January 2010, 02:48 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think part of the problem is that nobody practices, they go out and hope for the best and either go over cautious at 2 mph or just carry on at 40 mph, find a deserted car park and see how you car handles, try stopping a few times, see how it turns and understand the terms understeer and oversteer, I bet there are still many people that dotn know what the driven wheels are on their car and that 4wd means posh and something about going off road but not how it actually works, witness the Q7 accelerating past me walking the dog the other night, full bore past a dithering Honda, ok it got moving but I was kind of wondering how it would stop, 4wd helps you accelerate on snow but not stop again once your 2.5 tonnes has gained all that kinetic energy, on road tyres a 4wd will take as long to stop as a 2wd, probably longer due to the additional weight.

Also, the Eskimo's were worngly said to have a hundred words for Snow, that isnt true but there are numerous types of frozen water depending on whether its fresh snow, compacted snow, sheet ice, crunchy frozen slush etc so the conditions vary, some people seem not to be able to spot dry tarmac and panic that Snow at the side of the road will jump into the road to get them.
Old 07 January 2010, 03:15 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

-17 at my home this morning at 10.30am
Old 07 January 2010, 04:38 PM
EVOVI
Scooby Regular

I have just spent most of the morning clearing the snow so i can get my car out of the garage.. C class merc.. As soon as I got rear wheels on the snow it would spin..Was fine before xmas when we had the snow but this time we had so much it is still deep in places and where other people have driven or cleared snow there are lumps of ice that are acting like a curb so the rear wheel spin and spin. I have tried it with traction control off and that does help a bit but not much.
To make things worse the bloke next door jumped into his £100 mondeo drove up the hill turned round and drove off without so much as a wheelspin..
Old 07 January 2010, 08:51 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

I have to say mine got stuck in the first bit of snow up here near Rochdale just before Xmas .Had to get the wife to push me up the drive .(she wouldnt drive whilst i pushed .!!!!! )

Not been able to use it since then .285 rear tyres dont help !!!!!

We now share her Berlingo ,which has no probs in the snow whatsoever .In fact it would probably pull you up the Gable end of your house .

Feeling pretty cold here tonight ,-10 or so i beleive ,but with more snow forcast early morning .
Old 07 January 2010, 09:02 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by njkmrs
Feeling pretty cold here tonight ,-10 or so i beleive ,but with more snow forcast early morning .
for a man who has been winter caravanning in the Hebrides -- I would have thought you would still be wearing shorts and a t-shirt

must be going soft in your old age ;-)
Old 07 January 2010, 09:05 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

minus 14 o530 today irlam 12 in rochdale
Old 07 January 2010, 09:07 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Lol .

Yes Hodgy ,Im definately getting soft I think .I might have to put the heating on soon .The kids are complaining of blueness of the toes .!!!!

R u in that new house yet ??
Old 07 January 2010, 09:10 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YouTube - The Day after Tomorrow - Helis
Old 07 January 2010, 11:16 PM
Charlie_Chunk
Scooby Regular

I have a Mercedes C230 kompressor Sport with an AMG supercharger.

I can't take it out in this weather as it will not grip with the rear wheels

Only seeing 1 or 2 Mercs a day in my area at the moment. Don't think mine will be going out untill the snow & ice has gone

Missing my 4WD big time

Luckly my girlfriend has an Impreza type R