Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Piracy laws

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2010, 02:39 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Piracy laws

Looks like france is on the verge of starting thier piracy laws so I doubt it will be long before this country follows suit. If you use torrents I'd start to worry

BBC News - New internet piracy law comes into effect in France
Old 01 January 2010, 04:37 PM
bodgeit
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a lot of people on this forum with high moral standards,who have no tolerance for OTHER people breakin the law,well reading some of the threads on this site you would think so.
Old 01 January 2010, 04:46 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Goes nicely with this tread.

https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby...broadband.html
Old 02 January 2010, 12:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its a better and more honest way than just slapping yet another stealth tax on us all to supposedly give to the record firms.

les
Old 02 January 2010, 01:28 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Hardly. How would you feel if your internet access were cut off because someone else im your household was accused of piracy?

The music and film industries seem to regard their own problems as anyone's responsibility to fix bar their own
Old 02 January 2010, 01:39 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Hardly. How would you feel if your internet access were cut off because someone else im your household was accused of piracy?

The music and film industries seem to regard their own problems as anyone's responsibility to fix bar their own
What if you have unsecured wireless, or someone has compromised your protected wifi and is thus piggybacking your connection to download illegal movies, and you know nothing of this, the first thing you know is when your ISP terminates your connection.
Old 02 January 2010, 01:48 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
What if you have unsecured wireless, or someone has compromised your protected wifi and is thus piggybacking your connection to download illegal movies, and you know nothing of this, the first thing you know is when your ISP terminates your connection.
Treat your internet connection like your bank account, no excuse for no/poor security
Old 02 January 2010, 01:50 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

I was just at the local imax two days ago and for me, my missus and my daughter to watch a film it was £40 and they wonder why people download more films
Old 02 January 2010, 01:53 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stevebt
I was just at the local imax two days ago and for me, my missus and my daughter to watch a film it was £40 and they wonder why people download more films
£40Thats an f'in liberty
Old 02 January 2010, 02:05 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

****, I'd best stop sending people CD mixes I've done otherwise I'll be strung up and bummed by a bigger boy
Old 02 January 2010, 02:56 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When it costs £7.50 per person at the cinema it takes a really good film before I'm willing to pay.
Old 02 January 2010, 03:16 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

cheapest ticket I saw was for Avartar 3d and that was just shy of £10
Old 02 January 2010, 03:33 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Paid £5.10 for me AND the missuse to watch Sherlock Holmes the other day, BOGOF with Orange Wednesdays Skipped the popcorn though as I can cook a three course meal for less. I still buy DVD's too, and actually have bought more since starting to D/L movies. There's been several films this year which I might have ignored until a terrestrial TV showing had I not given them a sly watch and considered them good enough to warrant a purchase. If I can't do this then they will lose out, not gain !
Old 02 January 2010, 03:42 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

I usually always wait for the dvd release these days, to buy any type of refreshments is like being in a service station or airport, not to mention the cost of the tickets.

I can't be bothered with downloading films anyway too much hassle filtering through the good copies, if i'm that desperate to see a film i can easily get hold of pirate dvd's but it's not that not often i'm that bothered about a film.

I occasionally download the odd song but hardly ever now.

Aaron
Old 02 January 2010, 03:44 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

So the basic theory of this and the other thread is that if you think something is too expensive it is morally OK to steal it?
Old 02 January 2010, 04:15 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
So the basic theory of this and the other thread is that if you think something is too expensive it is morally OK to steal it?
Who's saying it's okay to steal things if there too expensive?
Old 02 January 2010, 04:21 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by azz250478
Who's saying it's okay to steal things if there too expensive?
Well check out the other thread or this is pretty much hinting at that:

The standard defence seems to be that the entertainment companies charge too much for their products and if they charged less people who download them illegally wouldn't!
Old 02 January 2010, 04:25 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I think you'll find the general feeling is more that the movie industry has an over-inflated idea of the true value of its product, and seems to feel that the rest of the world somehow should have to make extraordinary efforts to prop up its business model.
Old 02 January 2010, 04:32 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
I think you'll find the general feeling is more that the movie industry has an over-inflated idea of the true value of its product, and seems to feel that the rest of the world somehow should have to make extraordinary efforts to prop up its business model.
And I think you'll find that it isn't just the movie industry who suffers. I think you'll find that a whole generation of people are growing up thinking it's alright to download anything for free - it's becoming a culture.

I have had software I have written stolen and was told by the thieves that if I didn't like it I should sue them. Maybe they thought I had an overinflated idea of my software's worth which in your book makes the theft OK.

Downloading software, music, films no matter who owns them or what they charge legally for them is still theft and individuals and small businesses get hurt too in this lovely culture of theft!
Old 02 January 2010, 04:46 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Well check out the other thread or this is pretty much hinting at that:

The standard defence seems to be that the entertainment companies charge too much for their products and if they charged less people who download them illegally wouldn't!
He's clearly IMO just stating why people do download films illegally, not that its right. Would you agree that £40 to watch a film is going to be far too much for a lot familys that lets say spend the day at home all week, hell i would never pay that much.

I'd be interested to know how much the cinemas are making on these prices and why their prices on food/drink are so high?

Aaron
Old 02 January 2010, 05:01 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Where did I say anything of the sort? All I said was that the industry should address its own problems without constantly bitching and crying and expecting other people to solve them so it doesn't have to adapt.
Old 02 January 2010, 09:13 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I have had software I have written stolen and was told by the thieves that if I didn't like it I should sue them. Maybe they thought I had an overinflated idea of my software's worth which in your book makes the theft OK.
What software did you write? What is it called? Do you know for a fact that they still use the software? Why didn't you submit a claim? Do you assume one theft = one loss, in terms of money? Did you patent it before beta release, if not why not.
Old 02 January 2010, 09:32 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Downoading something isn't theft, its just breaching copyrights. If you sold a movie in a shop its a true product with money spent on packing distribution, covers, and disks with media and is a true physical product that will work virtually anywhere. The things people download have nothing of this nature tthey may be some crappy camcorder version of a film which would totally spoil thier viewing of the movie. Years ago people sold copied tapes of all albums and copied VHS of all movies. Its nothing new but now they are coining the phrase "theft" so society can look down on people who may do it.

If your software was stolen why didn't you have adequate protection to stop people copying it as a lot of software companies do. Also just cause 1 person said they copied it it doesn't mean it is being mass distributed on copied disk.

Here is a quick definition of theft

Those of you calling downloading of music theft must have a different definition of theft than is used here in the UK. In the UK in order for something to be theft some thing has to be taken "With the intention of permanently depriving the other of it" otherwise it cannot be classed as theft in the UK. Since copying music does not deprive the owner of the music it cannot be classed as theft in the UK no matter how much the BPI wants it to.
As for my statement it was merely saying that movie companies pay actors millions and millions of pounds just to make a movie. Why not cut this pay and make a movie cheaper for people to watch! Therefore people who can't afford this will watch the copied films

I always wait for filns to come on blueray before I watch them as I for one think the sound is just if not more important that the picture. Dolby digital doen't happen on crappy cams

Last edited by stevebt; 02 January 2010 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02 January 2010, 10:03 PM
bodgeit
BANNED

OK, another website I'm gonna be banned from (3) Hypocracy! thats all I'm gonna say! At least I wont be payin broadband tax next year!
Old 02 January 2010, 10:06 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are stupid enough to use public torrents sure

You also get 3 strikes before u are out with their new law, it's way too weak to stop people downloading warez in the first place. If they wanted an impact they should just fine/kill the connection on the 1st catch

Last edited by bioforger; 02 January 2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02 January 2010, 10:15 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Taken from wilkipedia about pircacy arrrrr

[edit] Comparison to theft
Further information: Dowling v. United States (1985)
Copyright infringement is often equated with theft, for instance in the title of the No Electronic Theft Act of 1997, but differs in certain respects.

Courts have distinguished between copyright infringement and theft, holding, for instance, in the United States Supreme Court case Dowling v. United States (1985) that bootleg phonorecords did not (for the purpose of the case) constitute stolen property, and writing:

interference with copyright does not easily equate with theft, conversion, or fraud. The Copyright Act even employs a separate term of art to define one who misappropriates a copyright: ... 'an infringer of the copyright.' ...
The infringer invades a statutorily defined province guaranteed to the copyright holder alone. But he does not assume physical control over the copyright; nor does he wholly deprive its owner of its use. While one may colloquially link infringement with some general notion of wrongful appropriation, infringement plainly implicates a more complex set of property interests than does run-of-the-mill theft, conversion, or fraud.

—Dowling v. United States , 473 U.S. 207, pp. 217–218
The key distinction generally drawn, as indicated above, is that while copyright infringement may (or may not) cause economic loss to the copyright holder, as theft does, it does not appropriate a physical object, nor deprive the copyright holder of the use of the copyright. That information can be replicated without destroying an original is an old observation,[56] and a cornerstone of intellectual property law. In economic terms, information is not a rival good; this has led some to argue that it is very different in character, and that laws for physical property and intellectual property should be very different.[57]

A British Government's report, Digital Britain, characterizes online piracy as a form of theft: "Unlawful downloading or uploading, whether via peer-to-peer sites or other means, is effectively a civil form of theft."[58]
Old 02 January 2010, 10:21 PM
Will
BANNED

What's all this bollox. I file share as i like sharing
Old 02 January 2010, 10:25 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Its all just a war of technology. They make the ISPs track people, people start using encryption. At the moment, most people do not encrypt their internet traffic, which means those that do are most likely up to no good (apart from companies). Encryption will become the norm, and there is little the authorities can do to break it.

There are all sorts of options, from SSH, VPN tunnels etc.
Old 02 January 2010, 10:39 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

To those saying why didn't I copy protect the software I wrote etc, etc.

Firstly why the f**k should I have to? That attitude makes my blood boil. You are all just part of the problem with an attitude like that. Just because it was, in your uninformed opinion, easy to steal doesn't mean it is right that it was stolen.

But to answer your question, although why I am bothering bewilders me, the software was a back end script/database product and sitting behind a password protected secure page. The password was traded and it was downloaded by 5 people before our security monitoring software blocked their access .

It was then a few months later that it popped up being used on a website - it was they who told me to sue. I did and their defence was they didn't know it wasn't free. They eventually settled out of court although the whole thing cost me money.
Old 02 January 2010, 10:41 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Downoading something isn't theft, its just breaching copyrights. If you sold a movie in a shop its a true product with money spent on packing distribution, covers, and disks with media and is a true physical product that will work virtually anywhere. The things people download have nothing of this nature tthey may be some crappy camcorder version of a film which would totally spoil thier viewing of the movie. Years ago people sold copied tapes of all albums and copied VHS of all movies. Its nothing new but now they are coining the phrase "theft" so society can look down on people who may do it.
Most downloads seem to be A1 copies of the music or films or whatever and get transcribed to DVD and given free to the downloader's mates. Theft in my book!

Also just cause 1 person said they copied it it doesn't mean it is being mass distributed on copied disk.
Oh well that's alright then

Quick Reply: Piracy laws