Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Nintenod Wii power problems

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2009, 08:26 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nintenod Wii power problems

Got the new Wii out of the box today to have a go and get used to it. Set all the cables up right, in the TV etc. Then noticed the plug is a 2 prong european one. Ne bother I thought as I had an adaptor to make it a 3 prong one. Plugged it in and nothing. Made sure all the wires were ok and the plug worked. Nothing. Borrowed another adaptor for the euro plug. Nothing. Changed the lithium battery inside the Wii incase this was buggered. Nothing.

So I'm stumped. Will it not work as it looks to be an imported one? Does it need some different power supply lead/pack?

Someone help, my Mrs is genuinely close to tears
Old 26 December 2009, 08:34 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Mine came with a UK plug, yours sounds imported.

Hopefully not a US spec machine as voltage is quite different. does it say what voltage it should run on???

If european model you could try this but do make sure the wall socket is switched OFF first!
If it is a US 110v model DO NOT TRY THIS.
(i sometimes do this with my Braun shaver is i cannot find the adaptor)
Have you tried to plug it directly into the wall socket, switch off the socket and us a non conductive impliment to push in the top (earth) bit where the earth pin should go so it will allow the two pins you have to go into the socket. Not ideal i know but it will at least tell you if it is working.

This is only a suggestion mind, do not atttempt it if you do not know which pin/slot is which

Last edited by The Zohan; 26 December 2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 26 December 2009, 08:35 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Euro plug?

It's not a 110v unit is it? If so it's fubared.
Old 26 December 2009, 08:42 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

There is a troubleshooting/quick fix/FAQ guide with your Wii (or at least there should be) give them a call to see if they can help you out.

Good luck
Old 26 December 2009, 08:43 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

These are pics I just took of the power supply and plug. Hope it helps

Old 26 December 2009, 08:44 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
These are pics I just took of the power supply and plug. Hope it helps
it does say 240v if so then you could try my suggestion, it might be the metal part of the pins are not connecting with the live parts of your adaptors

Last edited by The Zohan; 26 December 2009 at 08:47 PM.
Old 26 December 2009, 08:49 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
it does say 240v if so then you could try my suggestion, it might be the metal part of the pins are not connecting with the live parts of your adaptors
Hmm maybe. I'm not electrical minded in the slightest so didn;t wanna try something which could harm myself or the Wii. I did buy it brand new and it's nothing dodgy, obviously just an imported one.

Would a UK power pack work with it instead perhaps? Worth the outlay?
Old 26 December 2009, 08:51 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Hmm maybe. I'm not electrical minded in the slightest so didn;t wanna try something which could harm myself or the Wii. I did buy it brand new and it's nothing dodgy, obviously just an imported one.

Would a UK power pack work with it instead perhaps? Worth the outlay?
Cool, it might not be the power pack though, i would send/take it back to the shop/supplier and ask for a new UK spec wii if i where you.
Old 26 December 2009, 08:53 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Cool, it might not be the power pack though, i would send/take it back to the shop/supplier and ask for a new UK spec wii if i where you.
Think it may be the best option considering its not pre owned or anything. I don;t wanna be buying stuff for it if it's fubared and nothing of my own doing. Bit gutted really.
Old 26 December 2009, 08:56 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will you be getting Wii Fit?
Old 26 December 2009, 09:02 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I feel for you COB, we would have been gutted if ours had not worked out of the box.

We got ours from Tesco because it was cheap and the store is local/good returns policy.

Good luck
Old 26 December 2009, 09:08 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Do you think this may have something to do with it?

I just took a pic of what the adaptor came off (an old Phillips shaver on a euro plug) and noticed straight away the pins are different thicknesses and lengths.

I bought the Wii for £100 off a friend who won it in a competition with his dad, so it certainly wasn't off the back of a lorry etc. I don;t wanna go whining for my money back incase I can get it to work.

Pic...
Old 26 December 2009, 09:17 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

cut the plug off and wire a 13amp plug to it.

i've done similar things before.

provided its 230-240v you'll be fine

problem solved
Old 26 December 2009, 09:19 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

COB,

I think you are probably onto something with the pin sizes etc. I bet it is just not making contact. Try applying some leverage to the plug in the adapter and just see it it powers up while you are holding it a certain way.

If so I would cut the plug top off and put a UK plug on.

Even if you can't do the former I am 99.9% certain it will work just fine with a UK plug.

However there is a slim chance the power supply could be fooked and obviously once you have put a UK plug on it you will not really be able to take it back.

Pity you are not local as I would test it for you.

Last edited by f1_fan; 26 December 2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: fat fingers
Old 26 December 2009, 09:25 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys. Think I may source another power supply pack and try that. If that doesn't work then I have at least tried every possible thing apart from dismatling the Wii itself. I don;t really wanna go back to my friend and ask for the money back but will if nothing else seems to work. I won't cut the plug though unless I have proof it is that so the Wii is as I received it.

Will trawl Game etc tomorrow and see if they have one.
Old 26 December 2009, 09:25 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Do you think this may have something to do with it?

I just took a pic of what the adaptor came off (an old Phillips shaver on a euro plug) and noticed straight away the pins are different thicknesses and lengths.

I bought the Wii for £100 off a friend who won it in a competition with his dad, so it certainly wasn't off the back of a lorry etc. I don;t wanna go whining for my money back incase I can get it to work.

Pic...
Try my suggestion re the socket (two bottom holes of the socket does not matter which way around you do it but the two bottom holes), if it works then cut of the two pin and put a 13a plug on it, job done
Old 26 December 2009, 09:28 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Try my suggestion re the socket (two bottom holes of the socket does not matter which way around you do it but the two bottom holes), if it works then cut of the two pin and put a 13a plug on it, job done
Just tried and it didn't switch on mate.

I've gotta shoot as I'm DJ'ing tonight so will check replies later or tomorrow morning.

Appreciate the help guys and hope I can get it working.
Old 26 December 2009, 09:30 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Just tried and it didn't switch on mate.

I've gotta shoot as I'm DJ'ing tonight so will check replies later or tomorrow morning.

Appreciate the help guys and hope I can get it working.
That's a shame, sounds like the problem is more serious and you need to return it.
Old 26 December 2009, 09:32 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

never seen such a drama before.....

just cut the plug off

pound to a penny COB didnt open the top of the socket !!
Old 26 December 2009, 10:40 PM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Just read this thread quickly so sorry if I have missed something but do check that it is not a us model as doing an update with a game on a different region console has a 100% chance off bricking it.

if you do manage to get it powered up then if you let us know what firmware it is running then I am sure someone will let you know what market it was designed for- a european model would be running on something like 4.1e or the latest 4.2e

again its very important to check that its not a us model as again you could not update your firmware to enable the latest Pal games to work without the chance off bricking the machine.

Okay just noticed the link to the pic off the adapter / power unit, yep looks as if its should be just a case off changing the plug but again please check the firmware its running if you do get it fired up as it could still be a jap unit as opposed to a pal formatt that could still cause a brick if updated with the wrong region disc ie. 100% off uk supplied games !!.

Last edited by jono300; 26 December 2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 27 December 2009, 01:46 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jono300
Just read this thread quickly so sorry if I have missed something but do check that it is not a us model as doing an update with a game on a different region console has a 100% chance off bricking it.

if you do manage to get it powered up then if you let us know what firmware it is running then I am sure someone will let you know what market it was designed for- a european model would be running on something like 4.1e or the latest 4.2e

again its very important to check that its not a us model as again you could not update your firmware to enable the latest Pal games to work without the chance off bricking the machine.

Okay just noticed the link to the pic off the adapter / power unit, yep looks as if its should be just a case off changing the plug but again please check the firmware its running if you do get it fired up as it could still be a jap unit as opposed to a pal formatt that could still cause a brick if updated with the wrong region disc ie. 100% off uk supplied games !!.
It has PAL on the bottom right corner of the box mate. Does that tell me anything with regards to the firmware. I'm tempted to try the plug but if it kills it, I have no chance of getting my cash back from my mate. Decisions, decisions...

Edit: It says on the side where all the labelling is the following... "BECAUSE OF THE RADIO MODULES INCORPORATED IN THIS PRODUCT, IT IS DESIGNED FOR USE WITHIN THE E.E.A. AND SWITZERLAND AND IS FOR INDOOR USE ONLY. THE POWER SUPPLY INCLUDED IS SUITABLE FOR USE IN THE E.E.A. AND SWITZERLAND EXCEPT FOR THE UK, IRELAND AND MALTA.

That tells me its not a US version surely? New powerpack or slice n dice the plug...

Last edited by chocolate_o_brian; 27 December 2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 27 December 2009, 02:29 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

I've got it working. Knocked back a couple of shots and thought "**** it". Cut a plug off my George Forman and cut the 2 prong plug off the Wii. Powers up fine now.

It says on the settings that it's v2.1e if that helps. I'm too tired to play on it now but a suprise for my Mrs when she gets up. Poor sod had tears earlier, I felt really sorry for her.
Old 27 December 2009, 06:41 AM
jono300
Scooby Regular

Quick reply mate as just heading out to work - nope glad you got sorted out , sorry if I possibly scared you with the brick talk !! but to be honest its something that can happen if using the wrong region consol or game and thought I better warn you just incase.

okay yep can also 100% confirm you have a euro model as I say anything with the firmware ending in " e " is euro. mine is 4.1e. to be honest bit surprised if it is running on v2.1e as never heard off such a low firmware, think you would struggle to get anything to play on the thing without updating your firmware ??

easy enough to do- put in any recent disk and it will ask you if you want to update - press yes and its all done for you within a couple off minutes.

if you plan on playing " back ups " at a future date then turn off " wiiconnect 24 " and dont agrea to any nintendo updates ie. just do the disk updates only. the newest game super mario bros puts you on 4.1e which is still good for " homebrew " !!!!

there is a few Wii owners here so am sure any other questions then you will have no probs in getting the info.

good luck !!