Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why is our cat hissing and growling at the mrs?

Search this Thread

Old 26 December 2009, 11:52 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is our cat hissing and growling at the mrs?

We have had our male cat called Murphy for a little over two years from an 8 week an kitten. He has been fine over this time. Always wants to either play/play fight or have a cuddle. He lives indoors as he doesn't like going outside. He has been neutered.

From around 9.30am on christmas eve, his personality has completely changed towards my wife. Everytime she goes near him or even walks past him, he hisses and growls as if he is trying to say 'get away from me now!'. He is completely fine with me when we are on our own, but as soon as Marie enters the room, his heckles go up and doesn't want to know either of us.

A few weeks ago, he hissed a couple of times at both of us and kept going for a wee in his little tray. We took him to the vets and we got the usual 'it is probably a water infection - I will give him some injections and suggest you try him on our expensive super magic food'. I reluctanlty agreed as I really don't believe vets that push their own products as a 'cure'. To be fair, Murphy, immediately improved and was fine until when he started acting up on xmas eve.

At present, Marie and i are trying for a baby and we thought that he might have been able to sense that marie was pregnant as she was several days late when Murphy started acting up. Last night we found out that she isn't pregnant so we are now very confused as to why he is acting the way he is. It is really upsetting her and is really making me consider removing him from our home.

Any suggestions as he is a really loving and funny cat 99% of the time.
Old 26 December 2009, 11:59 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Question is whats the Mrs done to him?
Has she maybe stood on him by accident?
Does she feed the cats ?
If she tries to give him any treats will he come at all?
Old 26 December 2009, 12:04 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Does he go out?

If so is there a chance he has been treated badly while outside and maybe the person who has done it gives off the same scent/characteristics as your wife. Remember cats use different senses to us to alert themselves to danger etc.

Or has your wife been with any other animals in the last few days, are her clothes carrting a scent etc.

I wouldn't be too hasty about removing the cat. Give him some time. Cats are instinctual creatures and eventually he will realise all is well at home still.
Old 26 December 2009, 12:07 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

She didn't do anything, that is what is confusing us.
He is more 'her' cat that mine anyway. She does feed him and she can stroke him for a few seconds whilst he is eating. On xmas eve i managed to coax him out of the bathroom with treats and he actually came up to marie and was eating out of her hand. As soon as the food is gone, he goes back to being a viscous little arsehole!
Old 26 December 2009, 12:17 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Does he go out?

If so is there a chance he has been treated badly while outside and maybe the person who has done it gives off the same scent/characteristics as your wife. Remember cats use different senses to us to alert themselves to danger etc.

Or has your wife been with any other animals in the last few days, are her clothes carrting a scent etc.

I wouldn't be too hasty about removing the cat. Give him some time. Cats are instinctual creatures and eventually he will realise all is well at home still.
As said, he doesn't go out. We do let the neighbours cat in quite often as they like to have play fights and general get on quite well. Marie hasn't been in contact with any other animals. She got up on xmas eve morning whilst I as at work. Murphy was fine for an hour, then as soon as Marie started to make the bed, he changed. He even had a cuddle with her on the bed the night before. We are not stupid when it comes to animals. We have both had pets all our lives so understand how body language can make a huge difference to the attidude of an animal. We have tried everything, even having a shower with a different soap, changing our clothes, speaking to him in different tones....nothing works.
I have never had to get rid of animals either, so for me to even consider removing him from our home really does show how 'evil' he has become. Marie is obviously upset due to not falling pregnant, so she is a bit of an emotional wreck. So to see her in tears due to Murphys behavior is really started to get to me.
Old 26 December 2009, 12:25 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
As said, he doesn't go out. We do let the neighbours cat in quite often as they like to have play fights and general get on quite well. Marie hasn't been in contact with any other animals. She got up on xmas eve morning whilst I as at work. Murphy was fine for an hour, then as soon as Marie started to make the bed, he changed. He even had a cuddle with her on the bed the night before. We are not stupid when it comes to animals. We have both had pets all our lives so understand how body language can make a huge difference to the attidude of an animal. We have tried everything, even having a shower with a different soap, changing our clothes, speaking to him in different tones....nothing works.
I have never had to get rid of animals either, so for me to even consider removing him from our home really does show how 'evil' he has become. Marie is obviously upset due to not falling pregnant, so she is a bit of an emotional wreck. So to see her in tears due to Murphys behavior is really started to get to me.
Oh, I am so sorry for you both. I was actually going to ask if she WAS pregnant. Cats are murder for sensing body changes
If she is tearful and a bit depressed, which is understandable, he may be sensing this. Sorry, can't think of anything else.
Leave him alone and hopefully he will snap out of it. They usually do.
Old 26 December 2009, 01:38 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Are her eyes red?

Also check for horns growing
Old 26 December 2009, 01:50 PM
SVXNUT
Scooby Regular

Having not got a missus, I don't know about the female aspect of this, but the last time one of my cats fell out of love with me was when she had a rather nasty sheep tick attached to very near her naughty bits!!. It gave her blood poisonong, and took me a while to find (with Kevlar Gloves!!!). Normally stomach and base of tail rumbles are all the rage by the way. Vet sorted it out, and she was back to normal in a week. I would very carefully check him ALL over, as ticks are inside at the moment carried in on us humans clothes.
Old 26 December 2009, 02:01 PM
oldsplice
Scooby Regular

It sounds like something has spooked him, or as SVXNut said, check him for ticks and/or fleas. Buy a Feliway spray from the vet which gives off pheromone spells. It might be worth putting him in a cattery for a couple of days, to change his routine. They're always so pleased when they're 'rescued', they make an extra effort to behave!!
Old 26 December 2009, 02:21 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Did vet check him all over? Perhaps he has a pain problem such as a tooth abscess which us humans know can be really painful. Sounds like the vet gave him some antibiotic injections which gave some temporary relief but "problem" simply came back. Hope Moggie and Mrs are friends again soon. dl
Old 26 December 2009, 02:48 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

All possibilities I suppose, but then way is he only like it with her?
Only just now, Marie was trying to get his attention from across the room with some scrunched up wrapping paper. Murphy was interested straight away and went back to being 'playful smurph', as we call him! He came over, sniffed the paper as well as following it with his big playful eyes. He then got a bit bored and walked away.
Marie then popped to the bathroom where Murphy followed and sat outside the door, waiting for her. Then when she came out of the bathroom, Murphy immediately hissed at her. Now he sitting in the corner still giving her the evil eyes!

This is driving me nuts!

Last edited by Gear Head; 26 December 2009 at 03:04 PM.
Old 26 December 2009, 03:23 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

My cat did this to me. It was a lovable indoor cat and very affectionate to me, but changed very suddenly to hating me - hissing and growling at me and not letting me touch it, and sitting all evening at the other side of the room just staring at me.
No physical problems with the cat and no change in me or my routine as far as I can tell.
In the end I chucked it outside and whether it likes it or not, its now an outdoors only cat.
Old 26 December 2009, 07:27 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

There is a book called 'Do cats need shrinks' might be worth a look on fleabay or amazon - real useful for moggie type problems and how to fix them

her ya go http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cats-Need-Sh.../dp/0785801588

from £1.50

Last edited by The Zohan; 26 December 2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 26 December 2009, 07:30 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

Yeah do what paul said lob a book at it
Old 26 December 2009, 07:31 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Jamie
LMAO, not quite what i had in mind but it may well work!
Old 26 December 2009, 07:46 PM
Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
BANNED

Its probably detected the fake aftershave you bought your Mrs for xmas, its common knowledge that a lot of fake aftershaves contains stuff like cat p1ss and they smell like it too, your moggie will now think that your Mrs is trying to muscle in on its territory. Each time your Mrs sits down or walks by smelling of cat p1ss then its only natural for a cat to defend its territory

Get her to stop using it, the cat should settle down after that.

Last edited by Borat_Drives_A_Scooby; 26 December 2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 26 December 2009, 08:16 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Borat_Drives_A_Scooby
Its probably detected the fake aftershave you bought your Mrs for xmas, its common knowledge that a lot of fake aftershaves contains stuff like cat p1ss and they smell like it too, your moggie will now think that your Mrs is trying to muscle in on its territory. Each time your Mrs sits down or walks by smelling of cat p1ss then its only natural for a cat to defend its territory

Get her to stop using it, the cat should settle down after that.
Real helpful. Did you come up with that all by yourself?
Old 26 December 2009, 08:17 PM
deanb1980
Scooby Regular

the best thing to do is get a dog to spice things up a bit lol

on a more serious note is there another women in the family i.e a sister if there is ask them to come and see the cat and if he goes to her you know someting has gone on between them could be something stupid could be something serious isnt there anything you can remember

Last edited by deanb1980; 26 December 2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 26 December 2009, 08:36 PM
Quasi Modo
Scooby Regular

I wonder if Murphy senses a hormone change? Maybe when things settle down between you two he'll settle down too?

Without wishing to start any arguements between you, are you absolutely sure your wife couldn't have accidentally done something to upset him and she just isn't aware of it?
Maybe he was hiding somewhere near the bed at the time and she accidentally caught his tail or something and he took it personally?
Maybe she hurt his pride, especially if he doesn't strut his stuff outside like other cats do.

Last edited by Quasi Modo; 26 December 2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 26 December 2009, 08:49 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Quasi Modo
I wonder if Murphy senses a hormone change? Maybe when things settle down between you two he'll settle down too?

Without wishing to start any arguements between you, are you absolutely sure your wife couldn't have accidentally done soething to upset him and she just isn't aware of it?
Well she has no reason to lie as he is her cat really. He's her little baby, so I know she wouldn't hide anything, no point.
I agree with you on the hormone change thing. It's like a rollercoaster at the moment, one problem being her adjusting to coming off the pill having been on it for 9 years. She has been off it for 6-7 months now and her cycle seems increase each month.

Last cycles that I can remember were 32, 34, 44, and now 47 days as of today. So, each time, because she is 'late' compared to last month, she gets her hopes up only then to be devasted when it doesn't happen. I'm sure Murphy can sense that. My problem is that our pet is further upsetting my wife. I know that sounds stupid but she is already down about the whole 'baby' thing, Murphy just seems to be sticking the knife in and twisting it further.

Marie went to work at 3.30pm and Murphy has been fine with me all night. I'm only going to let Marie feed him from now on, just to try and install some 'respect' in the little bleeder!
Old 27 December 2009, 11:37 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Bye bye pussycat. We had a cat similar to yours. It was psycotic one min friendly the next trying to savage you. Itbwas to much of a risk to keep once we had another small person in the house. Itbwent outbonw morning about 4 years ago and never came back we've never seen it since
cats are fickle creatures you never know what you get
Old 27 December 2009, 04:48 PM
Norman D. Landings
Scooby Regular

Bit crass to ask but has anyone in the family recently died? Not that I believe in all this sh1te but years ago an ex girlfriends dad had died and his dog which would lie at the foot of his chair would continue to lie at the foot of the nearest empty chair to her for months after. Sort of like whichever house she and the dog went to, the dog would lie at the foot of the armchair nearest to her because thats where he was/would be.

Perhaps your cat 'sees dead people' ......
Old 27 December 2009, 11:12 PM
D70
BANNED

She probably torments him when you aren't there. Get rid of the cat for it's sake.
Old 27 December 2009, 11:39 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Execute the cat and get it stuffed..

.. at least you can talk to it and stroke it without the stress
Old 28 December 2009, 01:06 AM
Mark Mac
Scooby Regular

The cat has prolly seen the crap present you have got it for Xmas.....
Old 28 December 2009, 02:19 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

We had this with our cat .... It turned out he had a liver shunt, its to do with the ammonia that gets into the body.

We spent a lot of money putting our cat through a lot of operations which gave him 3 more years of life, but he was never the same cat after the ops.

Everytime I drive round the M25 I think of the cat sitting on my lap as I take him up to the Vet hospital ...
Old 28 December 2009, 02:34 AM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have two dogs and an old female moggy on her last legs poor thing, but on the whole they all get on fine. In fact better than a lot of humans do. Go figure!!

Get his favourite toys and spray them with catnip (aka MadCat spray) and watch him go all ga ga.Then when your missus is near and he starts his hissing thing spray her with cat nip. The cat will soon associate your Mrs with nice things again and all will be well.

Failing that lose the Mrs!!

BTW...I had no idea there were so many ***** lovers on SN. How lovely!!
Old 28 December 2009, 09:23 AM
mattsan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamie
Old 28 December 2009, 10:41 AM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobiewrx555
BTW...I had no idea there were so many ***** lovers on SN. How lovely!!
Oh yeah... there's LOADS of ***** lovers on SN....