Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Tuff on cwime?

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2009, 09:42 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuff on cwime?

Wasn't it five years in prison for carrying a gun (or was that a knife) regardless of any intent (according to TOCTOTCOC Straw/Blair)??

I guess that firing it in public, pointing a loaded gun at someone, threatening to kill someone, etc. etc. isn't that serious???

BBC News - Man wrestles gun from assailant outside Manchester pub

Prolly an actual 18 months, plus a few raffle nights-out?

Still, as long as we keep our carbons down

mb

Last edited by boomer; 08 December 2009 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Acronym smelling pistake
Old 08 December 2009, 09:49 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

carbons carbines
Old 08 December 2009, 09:50 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boomer
Wasn't it five years in prison for carrying a gun (or was that a knife) regardless of any intent (according to TOCTOTCOC Straw/Blair)??

I guess that firing it in public, pointing a loaded gun at someone, threatening to kill someone, etc. etc. isn't that serious???

mb
Why are you blaming the government for a judical decision? The law was created by law-makers, one pressumes you don't want politicians involved in the actual process of handing out sentences?
Old 08 December 2009, 10:04 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

And what do you think the Judges are working from?? The Government are the ones who set the terms/tariffs and sentencing guidelines. Get real if you really think the Judges do what they want! You obviously have no first hand experience of how the system works and just how bloody frustrated the Judges get being bound by some idiot in a suit who has never seen what happens in real life, but decides what sentence is and isn't appropriate.

Rant over.
Old 08 December 2009, 10:18 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ritchie21
And what do you think the Judges are working from?? The Government are the ones who set the terms/tariffs and sentencing guidelines. Get real if you really think the Judges do what they want! You obviously have no first hand experience of how the system works and just how bloody frustrated the Judges get being bound by some idiot in a suit who has never seen what happens in real life, but decides what sentence is and isn't appropriate.

Rant over.
In my experience of judges, which is considerable, the judges are as far removed from reality as the politicians .
Old 08 December 2009, 10:19 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ritchie21

Rant over.
Well was the sentence in question decided by a judge or a politician, I'm quite happy to be corrected, but I assume that it's the judges job to interpret the law and pass sentence accordingly. I can't imagine why a politician would of got involved in this case
Old 08 December 2009, 10:53 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

mb
Well, we can't be having prison's full of Criminals can we?

If I'd been the bloke that wrestled the gun off the lad, I'd have shot him in the @rse with it.
Old 09 December 2009, 12:04 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Can't send people who wave guns in public to prison, Martin. We need space for motorists who break speed limits.
Old 09 December 2009, 12:10 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Lying Labour: Tough on crime, (so long as it's motoring-related and we can stop them in the act, or we have a nice photo so we don't have to actually go and arrest anybody), Tough on the causes of crime, (so long as it's motoring related and we have a photo and can pass laws forcing people to own up, guilty until proven innocent, don't y'know? Oh and even if you WIN in court, under Lying Labour YOU will still pay court costs. So don't bother, just pay up and say nowt, we need the money anyway).

Old 09 December 2009, 12:26 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Brave bloke for tackling a thug with a gun. I reckon he was a bit soft on him too!

Does anyone know whether the bloke who tackled the piece of ordure with the gun was arrested and charged for restricting the human rights of the gunman?

Les
Old 09 December 2009, 12:29 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Can't send people who wave guns in public to prison, Martin. We need space for motorists who break speed limits.
Is there any particular reason you aimed this at me?
Old 09 December 2009, 12:44 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Is there any particular reason you aimed this at me?
Yep.
Old 09 December 2009, 01:00 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Yep.
well.....?
Old 09 December 2009, 02:09 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Oh, sorry. I thought you would like to comment.

Being as it's Lying Labour who have brought us to our present unenviable position........
Old 09 December 2009, 04:13 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Oh, sorry. I thought you would like to comment.

Being as it's Lying Labour who have brought us to our present unenviable position........
Well firstly I'm not a supporter of either Lying Labour or the Truthful Tories, and secondly it's knife carry criminals who are responsible for the 'unenviable position'. Let's at least agree on that...please
Old 09 December 2009, 04:15 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the phraseology (and the usual lack of information in "news" stories), I assume that he was given an indeterminate sentence aka "life", with three years as the tariff. If so, that means three years minimum, without question. He may or may not be released on licence after that, but if he is, then if he so much as shop-lifts a Mars bar it's straight back inside for a spell.

That is assuming that the sentence handed down was a so-called "life" sentence.

M
Old 09 December 2009, 07:36 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
In my experience of judges, which is considerable, the judges are as far removed from reality as the politicians .
Funnily enough, I have alot of experience with Judges too!

Whilst it's true that some have a disease known within the profession as 'Judgeitis', the vast majority don't.

I know that you are also in the job, but how many times have you actually sat down with a Judge and asked them if they too are frustrated?!

I am not saying that the politicians get involved in each case directly-of course they don't. But what they do do, is set the parameters that judges have to work within in order to pass sentence. Believe me, Judges do very much get frustrated with the limitations imposed upon them by parliament.
Old 10 December 2009, 08:54 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Martin2005
Well was the sentence in question decided by a judge or a politician, I'm quite happy to be corrected, but I assume that it's the judges job to interpret the law and pass sentence accordingly. I can't imagine why a politician would of got involved in this case
The judges must pass sentence in accordance with guidelines set by HMG(these are the guys who make the laws).
Only too happy to help you out on this one
Old 10 December 2009, 01:09 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Absolutely agree: my bro in law is a mag, and is frustrated with the constraints handed down by HMG.

Meanwhile, a speeding motorist, with NO victim, gets FIVE separate punishments:

1. Fine.........even imprisonment is possible.
2. Points/loss of license
3. Costs against him
4. "Victim surcharge" (WHAT FCUKIN VICTIM??)

5. Insurance premium increases.

Put THOSE five against the so-called punishments handed out to repeat offenders who steal, burgle, rob, accept or dispose of stolen goods, use or sell drugs, etc etc etc.

NOW tell me HMG aren't interfering, and have got it right.

Martin? (Closet Truthful Tory?????)

BTW, Martin, I say again, I DO NOT support the Tories, I loathe them as much as I loathe Labour.
Old 10 December 2009, 01:14 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Absolutely agree: my bro in law is a mag, and is frustrated with the constraints handed down by HMG.

Meanwhile, a speeding motorist, with NO victim, gets FIVE separate punishments:

1. Fine.........even imprisonment is possible.
2. Points/loss of license
3. Costs against him
4. "Victim surcharge" (WHAT FCUKIN VICTIM??)

5. Insurance premium increases.

Put THOSE five against the so-called punishments handed out to repeat offenders who steal, burgle, rob, accept or dispose of stolen goods, use or sell drugs, etc etc etc.

NOW tell me HMG aren't interfering, and have got it right.

Martin? (Closet Truthful Tory?????)

BTW, Martin, I say again, I DO NOT support the Tories, I loathe them as much as I loathe Labour.
I'm not entirely sure I've ever said you do support the Tories, but it is annoying isn't it; having someone pressume to know your political
allegiances

BTW I'm not sure we are disagreeing at all on this issue, if we do you'll need to point out where