Car taxing

Search this Thread

Old 07 December 2009, 09:15 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car taxing

Urgent help needed as i've forgotten the procedings

i'm due to pick up another car this week (evening) which isn't taxed. The previous owner has a new car so isn't insured for the 1 i'm buying and i'm still insured for my current car which i'm selling at the weekend.
How can the car i'm buying be taxed before i pick it up (so i can drive it home) if neither of us has insurance for it?

Do i risk driving it home untaxed (14 miles)? it will be covered by my insuranc as my policy allows me to drive any car not belonging to me (if stopped i can say i'm test driving it so it isn't actually mine)

any help?
Old 07 December 2009, 09:35 PM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can't be taxed! There has to be a policy of insurance in force for that vehicle, along with a valid mot.

Be very careful about driving it too under the circumstances you're describing-effectively with no insurance covering the vehicle itself. The minute you take possession of it, having handed the money over and received the log book, you are responsible for ensuring it has a valid insurance certificate. Without it, you will be liable for no insurance/tax etc. You cannot drive it under your policy because legally the vehivle belongs to you.

If you're stopped, don't expect it to be accepted that you're entitled to drive it under your policy-checks will be made with the previous owner, who will say it's your vehicle and you will be prosecuted for the appropriate offences.
Old 07 December 2009, 09:43 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

Does the car need an MOT? Book it in to your local MOT station for an MOT and you're allowed to drive without any tax directly to the garage and home. Some people get a friendly MOT dealer to say the car has been booked in even when there's no intention of going there.

I may be wrong, but the driver of a car is responsible should you get stopped for no tax not the registerd owner.

Regards the insurance, your policy may allow you to drive another car third party, however, that car must be insured by someone else at the same time. Simply call your insurance before you pick up your new car and inform them, they usually cover you for dropping off your old car to picking up the new one without a specific time.
Old 07 December 2009, 09:59 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Your insurance will not cover you, the car has to be insured in its own right. However, you can buy day insurance and print a cover note off online, tax it on that and away you go.

Is this another car other than the one from down south that you needed picking up?
Old 07 December 2009, 10:14 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scoobyvirgin
Your insurance will not cover you, the car has to be insured in its own right. However, you can buy day insurance and print a cover note off online, tax it on that and away you go.

Is this another car other than the one from down south that you needed picking up?
Thanks for the replies

yes this is a different car to the 1 down south - this is 15 miles away

Do you have a link to the site with the 1 day insurance? i guess i'll have to change my insurance over tommorow and get them to send a cover note
Old 07 December 2009, 10:41 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Google 'day insurance' I've used aviva, can't fault them really, cost just over £10. Have you sorted collection out for you other car? As I may be able to help.
Old 07 December 2009, 10:44 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Re the day insurance, I think you will find that the certificate of insurance has to be valid for X days before they will accept it for the purpose of taxing the car.

Everything is basically as per what Richie said (should bloody hope she is right lol)

I am waiting for sodding MID to update before I can tax mine. So much for online databases being the future. 2 friends also in the same boat. Cover notes not arrived yet.

Dont take ANY chances moving it without being 100% legit. Its just not worth it.
Old 08 December 2009, 09:33 AM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Never had a problem with using a one day certificate to tax a car, as long as it's insured that's all they care about, not how long it's insured for.