Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Broke my car boot sale cherry.

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2009, 07:16 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Broke my car boot sale cherry.

We pitched up today to get rid of a load of old stuff, to be honest all of it bar one old camera, i was about to chuck in the skip at work as i thought it was worthless.

Sat down for 2 hours, met some proper bizzare folk, and shifted most of it to the tune of £105.60

Actually had a bit of a laugh while doing it, especially haggling with some Albanian type who wanted to pay 50p for some sheep skin bodywarmer thing, and i bartered him up to a quid by telling him that some poor animal died to provide that item the afternoon was all going rather well i thought until i had to restrain the missus as she was off buying more fackin sh*te from other people to bring back home "but its soooo pretty"

Still got a load of stuff left in the car boot, so its getting dropped off at a charity shop tomorrow
Old 22 November 2009, 07:21 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

Done a car boot once, hated it. TBH I now have 3 options...

1. No-one wants it, bin it
2. Someone might want it - give it to charity
3. It's at least worth something... ebay it

I am an approver of the whole ebay process, yes, there are some prime ***** out there, but the majority of my transactions make a decent profit and are hassle free.
Old 22 November 2009, 07:25 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

It was a tactical move by me, as her wardrobes are/were ready to collapse, and i needed to sacrifice some worldly possessions to show that its a good idea to get rid of old stuff

Had some other seller/woman telling me that the 3 Steve Erwin Croc Hunter DVD`s would never sell, while she was saying that, some bloke turned around and said "ohh i love him he is a legend" and bought them all

I got the impression that 90% of the sellers at the place were regulars to be honest as they all seamed to know each other.

Shows how much that bint knew
Old 22 November 2009, 07:37 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

did u get the people opening the doors before you had parked and the young imigrant kids asking you if you had any mobile phones
Old 22 November 2009, 07:45 PM
JPL
Scooby Regular

So simialr to ebay...

Item description... auction only, there is no buy it now price, I am letting the auction run and will not end it early.

Message 1: Hi, do you have a buy it now price?

Sorry, this is an auction only.

Message 2: Hi, do you have a buy it now price?

Message 3: Hi, do you have a buy it now price?

FFS!!!!!!!!
Old 22 November 2009, 07:52 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M444GY
did u get the people opening the doors before you had parked and the young imigrant kids asking you if you had any mobile phones
we did a couple of years back and shining torches through the back window while we were trying to park up
Old 22 November 2009, 08:06 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

i sustained substansial panel damage from they eager basta*ds lol

its mine i saw it first style lol..............................chill mate its a broken digital camera not that he knew that
Old 22 November 2009, 08:23 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M444GY
i sustained substansial panel damage from they eager basta*ds lol

its mine i saw it first style lol..............................chill mate its a broken digital camera not that he knew that
you mean to say m444gy that someone asked you "does it work" and you responded ..."perfectly" , took the money and thought..... i wont be seeing you again. honestly i never done that with a boxed, as new, deep fat fryer........we found.....in our parents garage.
Old 22 November 2009, 08:52 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JPL
So simialr to ebay...

Item description... auction only, there is no buy it now price, I am letting the auction run and will not end it early.

Message 1: Hi, do you have a buy it now price?

Message 2: Hi, do you have a buy it now price?

Message 3: Hi, do you have a buy it now price?

FFS!!!!!!!!
Play them at their own game and ask them to make you an offer. Worked with a message I got yesterday for an auction I'm currently running - no reply at all....
Old 22 November 2009, 09:00 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by my06 ppp silver
you mean to say m444gy that someone asked you "does it work" and you responded ..."perfectly" , took the money and thought..... i wont be seeing you again. honestly i never done that with a boxed, as new, deep fat fryer........we found.....in our parents garage.

lol yep **** em . cheap *******s . he only paid 3 quid for it .
Old 22 November 2009, 10:06 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Because we had a chance of rain, the majority was actually held inside the sports centre and they gave us all a table + 2 chairs to use

Although the people who came late, still had to park up outside and use the car boot instead
Old 23 November 2009, 02:58 AM
DARB
Scooby Regular

Did a car boot a few years ago, and hated every minute from trying to park with some c**t opening the boot before I had even stopped
then you have the people who if you offered them something for free they would still try and get a better deal

well I lasted until lunchtime when I just drove off and left what was left on the floor and on my uncles pasting table that I had borrowed so most of the money was spent on a new one for him
Old 23 November 2009, 10:19 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

So you left the mess for someone else to clear up then!

Les
Old 23 November 2009, 10:23 AM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
tbh the car boot vultures would of been more than happy to do so
Old 23 November 2009, 10:57 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

So you regard it as a responsible action to make others clear up after you then!

Les
Old 23 November 2009, 11:17 AM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

no. i take it you have experience in cleaning up after people then? i am just stating the truth which is that a lot of less fortunate people frequent the car boot sales each week as a means of equipping themselves/family with items they just could not afford. i have been to car boot sales before and binned what was left in a skip on the grounds rather than take it home. sadly immigrants and poor people then were scrambling around in the skip itself to salvage whatever they could, and believe me, they virtually took the lot! so understand that to at least leave it on the floor giving these people a little more dignity is not as bad as you may see it.
Old 23 November 2009, 12:01 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

To be honest, i was actually REALLY suprised at the whole thing, i was expecting like 5 people selling stuff, what happened was almost cuthroat in execution.

Sellers arrive at 12, and setup, we paid for the spot, to be honest we were not out to make any real money, we just wanted stuff shifted.

Anyway the public is not allowed to enter until 1pm

In the mean time all the other sellers are swarming around buying stuff up from other people before the doors open, we got rid of a few things, the "buyers" maybe sold them on again in the very same day ?

The missus spent ages arranging everything all nice, making a nice display, bad idea

Look around and i see a mahooosive que to get in doors open to the public at 1 and its like a stampede

Missus had a load of old clothes, all hung up and nicely display, they were all over the shop within 5 mins, some bloke came over and said " honestly mate you should have just bunged em all in a box on the floor, as soon as 1 woman sees another woman looking at clothes it draws them all in "

Had some bloke buy a set of Corsa front brake pads just in case he bought a corsa in the future, i suspect these types are pure hoarders.

Defiantly met some intresting types, i would do it again sometime, maybe after Christmas when we end up with a load more crap, we did not want to bring the stuff back with us so after 2 hours we put some signs up slashing prices to silly levels, 5dvd`s for a quid and stuff

At the very end, some bloke basically bought all our leftover dvds for about 4.50.
Came home with 3 carrier bags of the missus old clothes and some books (i expected the books to sell tbh)

We found that things sold that we would never have expected, and other things never shifted at all, some random woman convinced herself that the chrome business card holder we had, was a mirror, and paid a quid for it
Old 23 November 2009, 12:05 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I've done a few now and I find they are a good way to get rid of stuff you'd have just binned anyway. IIRC we've usually made at least £100 a go and usually more. I often find when other relatives/friends find out you are doing one they give you some of their junk to get rid off but expect nothing in return. I never buy anything when there because it's 99.9% sh*te thus my only outgoing is my time. Towards the end I just give stuff away as it's only going in the bin if not bought.
Old 23 November 2009, 02:11 PM
DARB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
The couple in the next spot were regulars and assured me that it would not be there long we could see the "clearing up" happening before we had left the site and ya know what, they didnt seem to mind gettin free stuff
Old 23 November 2009, 02:18 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
Defiantly met some intresting types

How defiant were you? Was there a code of silence in operation?
Old 23 November 2009, 04:25 PM
DARB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TelBoy
How defiant were you? Was there a code of silence in operation?
Old 24 November 2009, 11:19 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DARB
The couple in the next spot were regulars and assured me that it would not be there long we could see the "clearing up" happening before we had left the site and ya know what, they didnt seem to mind gettin free stuff
Yes ok but you did not give that impression with your first post. Yes I am sure they were grateful, you could even have put up a sign saying it was free before you left under those circumstances of course.

Just did not seem right to leave it all behind you in a heap according to your first post. I must be more old fashioned then I thought!

Les
Old 24 November 2009, 11:34 AM
Jamie
Super Muppet

I did a car boot once in Mk just left the car never to be seen again.

It was a ford fiesta mk 2