Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sky +??

Search this Thread

Old 31 October 2009, 03:40 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky +??

Is the dish for sky + the same as the dish for just normal sky?

I've just moved into another house that has a sky dish and 3 cables from it, 1 to the bedroom and 2 to the living room. Now on the sky + at my previous house the cable had 2 ends to screw into the the box (as in it was two cables joined together). As i said earlier there are 2 separate cables into the living room at the same point, now i've plugged them both in and can watch sky fine but i can't record another programme. The only other thing is i had to put a connector on one of the cables as it was missing but i'm pretty sure that's ok.

So thanks for any help, i know there used to be a couple of sky engineers on here so i'm hoping them or anyone that knows can help.

Aaron
Old 31 October 2009, 03:45 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

dish is the same, needs 2 feeds from lnb, so 4 is ok. take one cable out, try it, then do the same with the other to check connection is ok,........you've used a screw on f-connector? if so, make sure your braid is making good contact with the connector and that there are no loose strands touching the center core.

Last edited by gallois; 31 October 2009 at 03:48 PM.
Old 31 October 2009, 04:04 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gallois
dish is the same, needs 2 feeds from lnb, so 4 is ok. take one cable out, try it, then do the same with the other to check connection is ok,........you've used a screw on f-connector? if so, make sure your braid is making good contact with the connector and that there are no loose strands touching the center core.
cheers mate i'll have a look
Old 31 October 2009, 04:32 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Done all the above and the cable that i put a connector on doesn't give a signal. There is Dish Input 1 and Dish Input 2, the cable that already had the connector on gives a signal in DI-1 but not DI-2 is this normal

I can't think what else it is other than the cable that runs over the house

Oh just to mention that the cable i had to put the connector on had had the connector cut off, and by F connector do you mean that it screws onto the cable and then it has like a 10mm nut that then screws onto the box.

Aaron
Old 31 October 2009, 06:12 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

yes, that is an f-connector, so you put the newly fitted connector into DI-1 and no signal? you checked that the braid is making good contact? and no short circuit between braid and center core of the coax? if yes to all, then the connection on the lnb at the dish are known to corrode if not properly sealed, or it could be a bad LNB or bad coax, if you don't feel comfortable up a ladder, then there are plenty of aerial fitters who will check it for you cheaper than sky, if you do decide to go up a ladder, do not be tempted to move the dish at all, it can be extremely difficult to line it back up without a meter.......
Old 31 October 2009, 06:23 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gallois
yes, that is an f-connector, so you put the newly fitted connector into DI-1 and no signal? you checked that the braid is making good contact? and no short circuit between braid and center core of the coax? if yes to all, then the connection on the lnb at the dish are known to corrode if not properly sealed, or it could be a bad LNB or bad coax, if you don't feel comfortable up a ladder, then there are plenty of aerial fitters who will check it for you cheaper than sky, if you do decide to go up a ladder, do not be tempted to move the dish at all, it can be extremely difficult to line it back up without a meter.......
Thanks for your help mate, i'll get someone out to look at it. Or cancel and get my girlfriend to get it installed in her name as i haven't changed address yet due to us moving back to our own house when the work is done in 6 months

Aaron
Old 31 October 2009, 07:00 PM
Dan Gleebits
Scooby Regular

Location: in a place where there lots of rocks to chuck at feejits

Try swapping the cable from DI-2 (as you put it) into DI -1 and see if that gives a signal, if not, its either the way you have made the connection, or that port on the lnb (block on dish) is poss fubar'd , or your plus box is .

*you need to make SURE, that NONE of the braiding on the wire is touching agsinst the CENTRE one or it will simply short out.

Last edited by Dan Gleebits; 31 October 2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 31 October 2009, 11:08 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan Gleebits
Try swapping the cable from DI-2 (as you put it) into DI -1 and see if that gives a signal, if not, its either the way you have made the connection, or that port on the lnb (block on dish) is poss fubar'd , or your plus box is .

*you need to make SURE, that NONE of the braiding on the wire is touching agsinst the CENTRE one or it will simply short out.
Its definately not the connection as i've checked it 3 times and i've swapped over the inputs with the cables and one of them gives an instant signal and the other doesn't. The sky box was working perfectly 3 hours before i plugged it in(i know it could have broke between houses but it wasn't that far and it was in its original packaging). So i'm thinking it must be what you two guys say about the conection on the dish, there is one spare socket on the LMB would it be worth swapping the cable to this one to see or do you reccommend getting a professional?

Thanks for your help Dan
Old 31 October 2009, 11:13 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Give it a try swapping a to the spare socket on the LNB... got to be worth a shot to see if you can avoid the hassle of waiting for someone to come out to it.
Old 31 October 2009, 11:31 PM
Dan Gleebits
Scooby Regular

*might also be worth doing a visual on the 2nd cable.. especially if it runs near to any privit/bushes outside when it goes through the wall .. Number of times ive seen then shredded when people have cut the bush back

*0r if the previous householder had a dog
Old 31 October 2009, 11:49 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, gonna have a bit of trial and error as i don't know which cable is which by the time they get to the dish. I hope none snap off in my hand

Aaron
Old 01 November 2009, 03:31 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by azz250478
Is the dish for sky + the same as the dish for just normal sky?

I've just moved into another house that has a sky dish and 3 cables from it, 1 to the bedroom and 2 to the living room. Now on the sky + at my previous house the cable had 2 ends to screw into the the box (as in it was two cables joined together). As i said earlier there are 2 separate cables into the living room at the same point, now i've plugged them both in and can watch sky fine but i can't record another programme. The only other thing is i had to put a connector on one of the cables as it was missing but i'm pretty sure that's ok.

So thanks for any help, i know there used to be a couple of sky engineers on here so i'm hoping them or anyone that knows can help.

Aaron
I suppose it depends on what dish you already have.
When I originally got sky+ my dish was changed
When my next door neighbour upgraded to sky+HD their dish was also changed
Old 01 November 2009, 05:09 PM
Dan Gleebits
Scooby Regular

A dish is a dish is a dish in reality.. only the lnb will make a difference.
some engineers (myself included) will swap a dish on an install/upgrade as you would invariably be going up there to change lnb or running new cables anyway so it takes only a minute or so to swap over a dish. (and then at least you know everything *should* be ok...