Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Ebay refund, is it safe to give someone your bank details, bank transfer ?

Search this Thread

Old 13 October 2009, 05:27 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay refund, is it safe to give someone your bank details, bank transfer ?

I bought a laptop off a trader on ebay fairly recently, he has agreed to give me a full refund due to some problems with the manufacturer.

The laptop value is £1750, the trader is in Dublin, Ireland. Originally i paid via paypal who then charge you a fee to convert the UK pound into Euros. The trader said that he could send me the refund via paypal which is no problem but i would incur paypal fees of around 50 Euro which is roughly £45.

He said an easier way for him and myself would be to refund me via bank trasnfer, unfortunatley the time limit has passed where we would both get a refund from paypal and ebay for the original auction fees and paypal transfer fees.

He has asked me for my bank details and something called SWIFT which he said is an International bank name and something called IBAN which apparently stands for international bank account number.

Is this safe to do is the question with the amount involved, what protection do i have from my own bank just incase something dodgy did happen ?

He seems like a genuine trader, he has been helpful all the way so far, its just with the amount involved, which is my best approach to get the refund ?

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 13 October 2009 at 05:28 PM.
Old 13 October 2009, 05:33 PM
harwichscooby
Scooby Regular

go paypal mate take the lose on the chin never ever give bank details away? all he needs is you email and he can send you money via paypal or u can request it either way do not give out details
Old 13 October 2009, 05:34 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

His comments are true-ish

You might still have a charge from your bank though - best ask.

I've used this before getting money transferred from Malta and the republic of Ireland (Sounds bizzarre as I'm from Northern Ireland)

I think they can only deposit money, so you're safe that way.
The fact that he knows all your bank details would be a whole different matter
Old 13 October 2009, 05:34 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99
I bought a laptop off a trader on ebay fairly recently, he has agreed to give me a full refund due to some problems with the manufacturer.

The laptop value is £1750, the trader is in Dublin, Ireland. Originally i paid via paypal who then charge you a fee to convert the UK pound into Euros. The trader said that he could send me the refund via paypal which is no problem but i would incur paypal fees of around 50 Euro which is roughly £45.

He said an easier way for him and myself would be to refund me via bank trasnfer, unfortunatley the time limit has passed where we would both get a refund from paypal and ebay for the original auction fees and paypal transfer fees.

He has asked me for my bank details and something called SWIFT which he said is an International bank name and something called IBAN which apparently stands for international bank account number.

Is this safe to do is the question with the amount involved, what protection do i have from my own bank just incase something dodgy did happen ?

He seems like a genuine trader, he has been helpful all the way so far, its just with the amount involved, which is my best approach to get the refund ?
No one incurrs fees via a genuine Paypal refund. Tell them to do it properly
Old 13 October 2009, 05:36 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, thats what I thought about refunds. Best way is to have them refund it back via Paypal.
Old 13 October 2009, 05:37 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
No one incurrs fees via a genuine Paypal refund. Tell them to do it properly
They do when your transferring from one currency to another, paypal charge you a fee for the conversion. Ive had that in the past.
Old 13 October 2009, 06:04 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harwichscooby
go paypal mate take the lose on the chin never ever give bank details away? all he needs is you email and he can send you money via paypal or u can request it either way do not give out details
Thats what ive decided to do to keep the refund within paypal, because its a certain time after the auction had ended you can`t claim your fees back, its approx 9 weeks since the auction ended and i paid for the item.

I`ll just have to take a small loss on the chin, its just one of them things.
Old 13 October 2009, 06:17 PM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

Every time you pay for something by cheque you give away your bank sort code and account name/number, I don't know why people are so precious of these things, you can't do anything with them anyway
Old 13 October 2009, 06:21 PM
gretts
Scooby Regular

paypal for sure he can send you money through paypal regardless of time or you can request money from him through paypal.....
Old 13 October 2009, 06:32 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kev_turbo
Every time you pay for something by cheque you give away your bank sort code and account name/number, I don't know why people are so precious of these things, you can't do anything with them anyway
I don`t have a cheque book, they are so 80`s

I pay for everything in cash, bank card or by paypal etc.

Last edited by Rob_Impreza99; 13 October 2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 13 October 2009, 07:15 PM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

I'm self employed, 80+% of my customers pay me by cheque
Old 13 October 2009, 07:33 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Kev_turbo
Correct - fuss about nothing.

But you will need to send seller your Bank IBAN number which is on every statement. You'll get a small charge from your bank and will have to phone them to check when it's arrived.

Usually takes 3 - 4 days

dl
Old 13 October 2009, 08:55 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

i've used SWIFT several times - never had a problem (check with yr bank on charges tho')

alan
Old 13 October 2009, 09:57 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Sold my Ducati a few weeks back to a gent from Germany, he paid me £1k cash then the other £6,5k via international transfer, nothing to worry about, you'll find the two numbers he asked for on the front of any of your bank statements, if you have any doubt ask your bank, i kept ringing mine to check the money had cleared and there was no way for it to leaving again after i handed the keys to the bike over.
Old 13 October 2009, 10:00 PM
Swen6
Scooby Regular

Like Alan said check with your bank for charges most have Q&A on their websites, but i'm sure any transfer between European nations is 0%