Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Labour's stimulus plan - an analogy

Search this Thread

Old 01 October 2009, 06:58 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

what was the conservative view on this? what is your view on how we should have reacted?

how should we - UK PLC have handled the crisis (forget how we go here - we are where we are)

the banking system was 24hrs from collapse -- that is you put your cashcard into an ATM and try and withdraw your money (from a positive balance) and it refuses, cheques don't get honoured, DD bounce

i actually think you can make an arguement for letting it all collapse -- but whats your view

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 01 October 2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01 October 2009, 07:38 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
what was the conservative view on this? what is your view on we should have reacted?

how should we - UK PLC have handled the crisis (forget how we go here - we are where we are)

the banking system was 24hrs from collapse -- that is you put you cashcard into an ATM and try and withdraw your money (from a positive balance) and it refuses

i actually think you can make an arguement for letting it all collapse -- but whats your view
A view, a view he's not here to have a view, he's here to attack the government, that's all he know how to do. Whatever you do don't ask for a constructive view coz you'll be wasting your time.

I'd also point out that it wasn't just the UK that instigated stimulus packages, is was every major global economy, and you know what it might just of done some good, and our grumpy, unfashionable and disliked PM might just of called this one right...heavens forbid!!!
Old 01 October 2009, 07:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

No Martin, the Aussies called it right: they never went INTO recession. The French, Germans and Japanese called it right: they are OUT of recession.

Our idiots gave their friends the bankers the money, and they held onto it, then gave it to their top men in bonuses, and WE are going to be in recession probably for another year at least
Old 01 October 2009, 08:04 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
No Martin, the Aussies called it right: they never went INTO recession. The French, Germans and Japanese called it right: they are OUT of recession.

Our idiots gave their friends the bankers the money, and they held onto it, then gave it to their top men in bonuses, and WE are going to be in recession probably for another year at least
but this is an argument for a much more radical and leftwing labour party, really getting to grips with wealth redistribution and not just shovelling cash into the bankers wallets

or am I missing something
Old 01 October 2009, 08:09 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

That would be the same France, Germany and Japan that put in place huge stimulus and bank bail-outs would it?

The same Japan thats been economically flat for over a decade?

And all the indications are that we are out (or about to be out) of recession

And as for Australia, they didn't have much of an economy to start with

Last edited by Martin2005; 01 October 2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01 October 2009, 10:21 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Why don't you girls just all link arms and sing The Red Flag?
Old 01 October 2009, 10:30 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Deep Singh
Why don't you girls just all link arms and sing The Red Flag?
why don't you just answer my question -- it's genuine

or don't you have a view?
Old 01 October 2009, 10:43 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

For a recovery they need to stop QE , cut the deficit, and relax the banking capital requirements for the short term.

is that your view then

sounds like a schoolboy ramblings to me -- maybe he would build a rocket to mars whilst he is at it

little short on substance tbh

thats my problem with lord snooty and co -- boys in a mans game it seems to me

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 01 October 2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02 October 2009, 07:48 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Flat for a decade is good compared to this recession, ask anyone who has lost their job.

dunx
Old 02 October 2009, 08:10 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
Flat for a decade is good compared to this recession, ask anyone who has lost their job.

dunx
No it isn't our economy is significantly larger than it was 10 years ago, despite recession and because we've had a very strong economy until recently millions of jobs have been created

What is it better to of never had a job, than to lose one.
Old 02 October 2009, 10:08 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
And if you'd actually been paying more attention to the news/read some newspapers in the last few years then you'd know that a lot of the *new* jobs have gone to non-Brits! See Migration Watch UK - Employment - Impact of immigration on employment of British born (3.7)

"... Summary 1. The proportion of British born people in work is now the same as in 2001. In effect, the extra 1.34 million jobs created in the past seven years have now virtually all gone to immigrants. A major reason for this is the arrival, since May 2004, of half a million workers from Eastern European members of the EU ..."

[And why that should be so is a different argument which is for another thread].

Dave
Ah yes Migration Watch, that bastion of fair and balanced debate!!
Old 02 October 2009, 10:21 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

dave -- get over to the fat persons thread

were are giving Muslims and Immigrants the day of today -- and giving fat people a kicking

its great coz they can't run away
Old 02 October 2009, 11:37 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

I liked that analogy ! :-) Made me laugh. So true.

jezzz, arent there a ton of labour / government threads nowadays. Whats happened to the good old days, where threads were about woman? Another thing crappy labour has stopped ! :-)

SBK
Old 02 October 2009, 01:01 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

And you base that on what exactly? The fact that they don't agree with the Governments latest spun figures? The fact that they're independent from the Government? What exactly? Because unless you say 'why' you say that you're just using the same tactics as all 'left wing'ers.

From MigrationWatchUK "... Do Migrationwatch exaggerate? No. We obliged the Home Office, under the government's freedom of information rules, to release their information on Migrationwatch. Here is the text of an email from one Home Office official to another sent on 29 July 2003:
I have made this point many times before but can we please stop saying that MW migration forecasts are wrong. I have pointed out before that MW assumptions are often below the government actuary's department's high migration scenario.

... "

Dave
I think the issue (as you well know) is that Immigration Watch have an agenda (and not a good one IMO) and therefore they will only EVER 'information' that supports their point of view. It's kind of like me going on to Fox News right now and trying to find out whether Barrack Obamas planned health care reforms are a good idea.

BTW why do you call me a left winger?? Left of you, yeah sure, left winger though??? I'm really really not
Old 02 October 2009, 01:54 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

You really do not read what was written do you?

Dave
Ok you didn't (on this occasion) call me a left winger

I'm sure that this was only a temporary aberration on your part though
Old 02 October 2009, 02:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You give the appearance of living in cloud cuckoo land Martin. You seem to be unable to accept the gross errors and general ineptitude of your heroes.

What is the National Debt Martin, why did Flash squander away our cash in every possible useless direction before the banks screwed up? How much did he borrow from the IMF to make our economy look good despite his scandalous overspending? Why has he pandered to the Eu and refused us the referendum that they sincerely? promised us? Why are our soldiers losing their lives in a foreign country without the equipment that they need just to be able to avoid being blown up? Why has he not got the guts to insist that our so called allies such as the French, Germans and Italians in Afghanistan start to do some of the dirty and dangerous work that our lads have to do while those others are not alloed to go near the front line?

How are we going to find the interest to pay on the £triilion debt that we will be in as well as pay back for the PFI contracts etc and the government spending as well? How will we deal with the inflation which will follow the printing of all that money in QE?

I'll let you get on with that lot to start with!

Les

Last edited by Leslie; 02 October 2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02 October 2009, 02:42 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

do you think he should have let the banks collapse then

should the ordinary hard working man pay for the mistakes of the bankers through savage cuts in public spending

do you think the Tories would have rained in the excesses of the banks?

we'd be in the same position but just with a worse NHS and education system

labour are far from perfect -- but I dont see the tories being any better
Old 02 October 2009, 02:48 PM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
You give the appearance of living in cloud cuckoo land Martin. You seem to be unable to accept the gross errors and general ineptitude of your heroes.

What is the National Debt Martin, why did Flash squander away our cash in every possible useless direction before the banks screwed up? How much did he borrow from the IMF to make our economy look good despite his scandalous overspending? Why has he pandered to the Eu and refused us the referendum that they sincerely? promised us? Why are our soldiers losing their lives in a foreign country without the equipment that they need just to be able to avoid being blown up? Why has he not got the guts to insist that our so called allies such as the French, Germans and Italians in Afghanistan start to do some of the dirty and dangerous work that our lads have to do while those others are not alloed to go near the front line?

How are we going to find the interest to pay on the £triilion debt that we will be in as well as pay back for the PFI contracts etc and the government spending as well? How will we deal with the inflation which will follow the printing of all that money in QE?

I'll let you get on with that lot to start with!

Les
My heros???? that's a rather odd thing to say, they're certainly not my heros.

Anyway in the name of balance (which you should try Les), it is of course true that the government has spent a lot of money, and it sure as hell needed to following the complete and shameful neglect of our public services by the previous administration, did you forget that bit?
You often state that 'Tory governments always have to clear up Labour's economic mess' well apart from the fact that this isn't true, have you stopped to think of the mess that Tory government keep leaving (hopefully they've leart their lesson).

Ad for Afganistan well what do you suggest? Withdraw? More Toops? Less Troops? Declare War on France and Germany?

Our national debt is huge, massive in fact, and yet miles behind the likes of Germany and Japan, they seen to manage, and we will. There will be cuts and tax increases of course.

Time will tell on inflation, right now we need some inflation, in the long run it all depends on how quickly the economy recovers, BTW which party is saying don't do QE?

As for the EU, you should be thanking GB he was the one who stopped Blair taking us into the Euro. But I do agree we should have our referendum. Although how the hell you actually do this I don't know, because it sure as hell wont end up as a vote on the constitution will it. Whatever question you ask the anti-brigade will vote against and the Euro-philes we vote for, so it's just going to be a horrendous mess.

Last edited by Martin2005; 02 October 2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02 October 2009, 03:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is the wasteful way in which they spent the money Martin, we now have a very expensive and overburdening beaurocracy which is not doing a lot of good anyway. What I said about Labours previous performance on the economy is in fact true, even up to the IMF threatening to sink us unless they stopped overspending when Callaghan needed to borrow yet more cash to keep blundering along.

I personally think we should not be in Afghanistan anyway, Britain has tried some three times to beat them so far and has never won, and the might of the Russian army failed as well. Our troops should never be there with the dreadful lack of real backing from the government in all respects.

I really don't see why they have to be all clever about the question in a referendum. All they have to ask is whether we agree to ratify the Lisbon Costitution, because that is essentially what is is. To try to pitch a question in a fashion designed to influence our answer in the direction that the government wants would be totally dishonest anyway. Can't see why it should be a mess in any case. What counts is how the majority votes in respect of whether we the people want to lose our sovereignty or whether we want to run our own country as we personally wish.

Les
Old 02 October 2009, 04:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

But if we vote "No", we'll only have to go away and do it all again a year later, just like the Irish are doing today
Old 02 October 2009, 04:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

But if we vote "No", we'll only have to go away and do it all again a year later, just like the Irish are doing today
Its just as easy to vote "no" again though!

Les