jods
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harsh.
Old 23 September 2009, 09:59 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I meant speechless at the bravery and determination of these young lads.
Old 23 September 2009, 10:10 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Yeah - I was just commenting on how harsh these poor lads have it now. Let's face it, they aren't going to find it any easier as time passes. Poor *******. We should treat our boys & girls in the forces the way they do in the USA. It chokes me up that the PC crew tag you as racist / warmongering etc to want to show support for these heroes.
Old 24 September 2009, 08:42 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I laughed, cried and cheered during the documentry. Being on the inside and having had to deliver, on a number of occassions, the devastating news, I can assure you that the treatment our blokes recieve is now seen as a bit of a model for other nations and as a test bed for NHS treatment of lower limb and gunshot injuries.

Headley Court is a truely inspiring place to visit.

I found myself shouting encouragement at the TV when both Jim and Andy where trying to walk on the stubbies. Yes, they deserve all the help, support and encouragement we can give them.

What you don't see is the support to the familes. Each family is allocated Visiting Officer, normally a Warrant Officer or Officer to get the families to and from the hospital, supply emotional support and do a huge amount of admin work to relieve their burden. The Military Medical and NHS staff are also heroes for getting the guys and girls back to some form of "normality".

Awesome programme and it brought home to many the sacrifice that my mates, your countrymen are giving.

I now suggest you read Mark Ormerods book "Man Down". He was the first triple amputee.
Old 24 September 2009, 08:47 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

They shouldn't be there in the first place. Losing lives, let alone limbs, in a war we cannot win, is an utter atrocity.
Old 24 September 2009, 09:02 AM
crofty
Scooby Regular

Wonder if Brown and Blair watch it Hmmmm.......
Old 24 September 2009, 10:49 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Tel, Crofty, wrong thread You didn't hear the guys last night bitch about anything never mind the right and wrongs of the war. Start a new thread if that's how you feel.

Regardless of who you vote for, whether or not you support the war, real actual men and women are out there serving on our behalf. Bollox to everything else, give them the support they deserve!

Help for Heroes - A charity for the wounded in Britain?s current conflicts
Old 24 September 2009, 10:55 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It underlines the shame of those ***** who have sent them into a war like that which is where they should not be, and who can't even give them the equipment they need to stand half a chance of success!

Les
Old 24 September 2009, 11:08 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Originally Posted by BOB.T
Tel, Crofty, wrong thread You didn't hear the guys last night bitch about anything never mind the right and wrongs of the war. Start a new thread if that's how you feel.

Regardless of who you vote for, whether or not you support the war, real actual men and women are out there serving on our behalf. Bollox to everything else, give them the support they deserve!

Help for Heroes - A charity for the wounded in Britain?s current conflicts
Top man! Forgot to add this in my reply. Wearing my wristband with pride.
Old 24 September 2009, 11:17 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

How can this be the "wrong thread"? The fact that they're missing limbs is a direct result of their involvement in an un-winnable war. Or are you as fervent in your support for ALL people who've lost limbs, howsoever caused? No, thought not.

Support is one thing, stopping the cause is the real issue.
Old 24 September 2009, 11:33 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

the real scandal is that the UK homeless population contains a very high proportion of ex servicemen
Old 24 September 2009, 02:09 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

The soldiers never mentioned the politics during the programme. The programme was not about politics either. Politics are for another thread.

It was what it was, an inspiring piece of TV about real people and how they are getting off there **** to help themselves but for the benefit of the Nation.
Old 24 September 2009, 02:12 PM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Ok, well i'm glad there getting off there *****, there's too much reliance on the State out there, your right.
Old 24 September 2009, 06:31 PM
AsifScoob
Scooby Regular

Friend of ours and former colleague of my Missus made this programme. Unbelievable that we waste our most valuable resources on folly like this.

Asif
Old 24 September 2009, 06:35 PM
Mark1983
Scooby Regular

Humbling to watch and I couldn't help but shed a tear. Brave guys. The injured are often the forgotten soldiers.
Old 24 September 2009, 07:19 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

The amount of the guys who find themselves in Selly Oak would make you weep. If you think that for every soldier who gets hit by an IED out there, there will be up to 8 of his mates in a very close vacinnity to him, some of those get badly injured and sent back ASAP..

I salute those lads on the wing who have the nerve and determination to get up in the morning and carry on despite the horrific injuries they have to bear.

As has already been said, this thread is not about politics, why they were there or anything else like that, it's about the boys, their struggles and their triumphs, please let all replies in this thread concentrate on that and that alone.
Old 24 September 2009, 07:21 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Can I ask if its repeated anytime soon (bar Iplayer as I'd like to watch it on my TV)
Old 24 September 2009, 07:28 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

is it not a series? I think they are following a few of the lads from battlefield to recovery, warts and all. Bloody good job as well, about time they highlighted exactly what IS going on. Guys are being sent to Selly Oak every day nearly.
Old 24 September 2009, 07:43 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Maybe it's me getting old but they looked so bloody young.

Truly humbling viewing.
Old 24 September 2009, 07:49 PM
scoobysmiff
Scooby Regular

They are young Daz, some of the boys out there are only 18!!!

Young is not everything though, all are sons, some are husbands and some are fathers.

Just imagine if it was one of your sons, husband or Dad....................
Old 25 September 2009, 08:03 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobysmiff
They are young Daz, some of the boys out there are only 18!!!

Young is not everything though, all are sons, some are husbands and some are fathers.

Just imagine if it was one of your sons, husband or Dad....................

Imagine indeed. I imagine i'd do my absolute upmost to talk them out of doing a job where there was an inherent risk of having your legs blown off whilst fighting an illegal, immoral and unwinnable war. Why do kids sign up to expose themselves to this? Is it really worth it? Are there no other options which could provide a similar buzz to the Forces? I just don't get it.
Old 25 September 2009, 10:30 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

TelBoy, I joined up a few months after my 16th. I have not found a buzz like it anywhere, the camaraderie or friendship. Not even driving the Scoob gives the adrenaline, fear or excitement.

Sadly, I have seen a few of my civvy mates killed doing far less "dangerous" activities, some young lads and girls get their buzz with cars and look where that can go, the stat's are shocking! Booze kills more than bullets.

sniffmydiff - I can't make the next meet but I'll tell you some inside stuff at the November meet
Old 25 September 2009, 11:44 AM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

I suppose having been in the forces myself I feel like I can relate to it more.
But you have to admire the strength, courage and spirit of these guys. Particularly the young lad from the Paras. He kept falling over and hurting himself whilst trying to learn to use his new prosthetics. Not once did he get frustrated or lose his temper. He laughed it off and just kept trying until he did it. That's utter inner strength.

Forget all these big (fat) tatoo'd hardmen who claim to be the hardest blokes around.

It's these guys that are hard as nails. A trully inspiring watch. The guys prove no matter what you're faced with in life it can be dealt with. Even though I dont think I would cope if I was in the same situation.

Totally agree with Blue the camaraderie and friendship is second to none and is something I've never experienced outside of the forces.

It's just a shame that you get MP's whinging about expenses yet our serving men and women are under equiped and under manned. More equipment and more men on the ground would cut the number of injuries like these right down.