b+e license?

Search this Thread

Old 15 September 2009, 10:55 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Default b+e license?

Has anyone done the b+e license test, and if so, is it hard to pass it? Did you have to do lots of theory and practical exercises before taking your test?

I've got a Swedish license at the moment, so that'd have to be converted to a UK license first, I guess (unless i go back to Sweden just to do the test, but it seems like a bit of a pain).

Oh btw, if you passed your driving test before 1997, you already have b+e, but anyone after that just gets the normal b license.

I want to be able to tow a track car on a flat bed, and it seems virtually impossible without a b+e license.
Old 15 September 2009, 01:07 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get a licence for breaking and entering

That explains a lot
Old 15 September 2009, 02:01 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

What you're thinking about is a bailiffs license, i'm talking about drivers license here
Old 15 September 2009, 04:27 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Henrik - are you just asking how hard it is to pass a normal driving test for a car?

Dave

PS: can't really help you as I passed mine in 1984. 7 years after I had passed my motorcycle test. Things have changed slightly ...
Well, yes and no, it's not the normal driving test... Up to 1997, you automatically got the 'E' if you passed the B, but in 1997 the rules were changed and you don't automatically get the 'E' anymore.

Now, you have to sit a separate theory exam and also take a separate driving test with a trailer. I'd be interested in knowing how hard the driving / theory part is.

I think I'm a reasonable driver, but obviously I did my test back in Sweden, so never done one here
Old 15 September 2009, 04:44 PM
superdan
Scooby Regular

I passed my B+e last year as it was required for my work i passed my test in 1999 so did not have the E part there is no theory test just a driving test that is almost identical to hgv test reversing round cones etc it is a tricky test and did catch a fiew people out
Old 15 September 2009, 04:48 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by superdan
I passed my B+e last year as it was required for my work i passed my test in 1999 so did not have the E part there is no theory test just a driving test that is almost identical to hgv test reversing round cones etc it is a tricky test and did catch a fiew people out
And breeeeaaaath!
Old 15 September 2009, 07:34 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did a write up on PassionFord after I did mine. I'll go find it and paste it in here.
Old 15 September 2009, 07:37 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrik
Has anyone done the b+e license test, and if so, is it hard to pass it? Did you have to do lots of theory and practical exercises before taking your test?

I've got a Swedish license at the moment, so that'd have to be converted to a UK license first, I guess (unless i go back to Sweden just to do the test, but it seems like a bit of a pain).

Oh btw, if you passed your driving test before 1997, you already have b+e, but anyone after that just gets the normal b license.

I want to be able to tow a track car on a flat bed, and it seems virtually impossible without a b+e license.

I did my B+E a couple of years ago now, There was some written work but that was just because my company did it through a college.
I had an afternoons training on the road with a trailer then did my test the day after and passed first go.

My examiner said i would have been better going on the dole and saying i wanted to be a truck driver then i would have got it for free lol.

but seriously its a piece of cake, its exactly the same as a class 1 but just smaller vehicles.
Old 15 September 2009, 07:39 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The following was a post in a thread on passionford when someone asked about the test. I just happened to be doing a 3 day course at the same time so kept them updated.

"It was a box trailer roughly the size of a horse box which was very light and followed the line of the towing vehicle very well. The tow car was a Land Rover Freelander, but obviously vehicle and trailer combinations will vary between different driving schools.

It's more strict than a regular driving test as they are looking for the same sort of awareness you would have to show when driving a lorry! That's what my instructer told me. The good thing is it's much smaller than a lorry! The same width as a car and can go wherever a car goes...as I said the trailer I had followed the line of the Land Rover perfectly.

I actually messed up big time. Took a wrong turn on to a motorway that I couldn't get off of for 10 miles. Wasted about 25 minutes of test time(1 hour of driving on road) but I kept calm and gave it 100% effort till the end, even though I thought it would be a definite fail!

He must have liked that because he passed me and said he was impressed that I didn't crack after doing that. The drive other than that was faultless though.

So to sum up the test -

- First thing is a few questions on the test vehicle and a sight test(number plate). The questions are things like "how would you check the oil level on the vehicle" or "what checks would you perform on the external doors of both the towing vehicle and the trailer". Pretty easy stuff - in that case show him the dipstick and tell him you would make sure all the doors were closed by physically checking.

- Reverse into a bay marked out with cones at the testing station.

- Followed by an emergency stop, braking under control when you get to a set of cones at 20mph...piece of cake!

- Then out on to the road for an hour. There will be no manouvres at all on the road during the test: the only thing you'll have to do is a hill start or two.

- Finally, when you get back to the test station after your hour on the road you are asked to uncouple the trailer and park the towing vehicle next to it by reversing it back beside it. Then you are asked to position the vehicle back in front of the trailer and couple it securely again.

And that's it!

Things to remember that will help you get a head start in the lessons

This is the hard part unless you drive everywhere the way you are required to in order to pass a driving test. Obviously nobody does!

- Check your mirrors every few hundred yards(both sides). You will be travelling at the speed limit and at a safe distance from the car in front so you'll have time to look in you mirrors quite often. This just lets them know that you know you aren't crossing any lines or hitting school children with the trailer etc .

- When approaching a junction check your mirrors before you do anything(ie start to slow down). You want to be checking the opposite mirror to the way you are turning first: obviously so that you can look at both, but the one on the side you are turning towards is checked last so you know it's safe to move across in that direction(again no school children missing limbs etc)

- Slow down approaching the junction using your brakes. They don't like you using the gearbox too much - Say you are approaching a junction in 4th, just keep it in 4th bringing your speed down and then change down to 2nd for the last 10 metres so you have the control of the lower gear. As you enter a roundabout check the mirror on the left on entry followed by the right as you are going round the roundabout(this shows you know where the roundabout is) followed by the left on exit(checking for arseholes cutting across inside you and also looking again to make sure you haven't clipped the left curb on the exit.

- If you have to stop at a roundabout I would stick the handbrake on(before putting it back into first - remember you were bringing the speed down in second for the last 10m). Then stick it in first and get your hand on the handbrake ready to let it off and go.

Before you set off(and before you release the handbrake) remember to look in you left mirror, then your right mirror, then look right over your shoulder to check the blind spot of your right mirror. This is easy when you start doing it again as you're just looking from left to right then setting off.

- Also remember that any time you have to leave your line on the road you need to check your right mirror, making sure it's safe to move slightly to the right and then indicate before doing so. For instance passing parked cars. This lets the people behind you know what's ahead(so they don't crash into it themselves) and lets them know what you're doing incase some tosser tries to overtake or whatever. This applies even for slightly changing your line...like the car could be on the road a foot or two.

You might already know all this anyway and use it on the road, but I'm just letting you know the things I didn't have any idea about until a few days ago! Your instructor will go through all this anyway...

Hope that helps"

Last edited by GlesgaKiss; 15 September 2009 at 07:43 PM.
Old 15 September 2009, 08:22 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Brilliant stuff, guys, and many thanks for that super informative post there, GlesgaKiss

My action plan is thus:

1. Convert license
2. Sign up for course
3. Pass course
4. Tow track day car
Old 15 September 2009, 09:01 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I don't get this new fangled don't bother with the gears attitude..... I was taught properly and use them all, being in the correct gear may allow you to move out of danger if someone else makes a mistake.
I did my local council mini-bus test (PSV) and they "taught" this fourth to second gear technique, well for one day, maybe !

dunx