Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Contents Insurance.

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2009, 09:47 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Contents Insurance.

I have never claimed on my contents insurance and well my laptop is well and truely buggered. What generally happens if for instance my knee went thru my computer screen whilst vacuuming the living room? do i need to prove my knee accidently went thru it? do i need an engineers report? whats the craic really?

Just out of interest mind!
Old 16 August 2009, 09:56 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They know all the tricks so you have already been a bit silly stating that you intend to carry out insurance fraud on-line.
Old 16 August 2009, 09:59 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I haven't stated anything other than I have never claimed off my insurance before so i don't know how it works.
Old 16 August 2009, 10:05 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

When the judge or magistrate weighs up the evidence..

laptop is well and truely buggered
Just trying to point out that the courts and insurance companies take into account lots of facts and evidence..
Old 16 August 2009, 10:18 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Yes, mate.
Old 16 August 2009, 10:47 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

with my buggered laptop a few years ago ,my young daughter back then accidently spilt a drink of juice on it, they took the model number and sent 1 of the same spec the next day ,they didnt send anyone out

Old 16 August 2009, 10:57 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Why thank you Phil, It was tremendously bad luck that your laptop went faulty then got destroyed within quick succession.

Our moral compasses i believe are pointing in the same direction.
Old 16 August 2009, 11:23 PM
Lisawrx

If it is in fact broken in some way, just phone and report it, so long as you are covered for things like this.

Recently I had to do the same thing. Genuine, not trying to screw someone for a new one, just to add for clarity. I spilt a cup of tea all over it (long story). Basically, we contacted the insurer, they asked for all the details, and then passed it on to another company to settle. They too, took details, and perhaps due to the type of damage, sent out vouchers of a certain value to get a replacement (can only be used in a few stores).

All along they asked if I still had the broken one (which I did), so I'd be careful if you are not being altogether honest, as you could be caught out, and it's not worth it imo.
Old 16 August 2009, 11:44 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

didnt you post about this at the time Lisa, or was that on another insurance thread

Im not actually sure if I have accidental damage or not on my policy, but tbh for the majority of things in the house it just isnt worth claiming for, and that includes the laptops

I had to claim a few years ago for my garage getting burgled, and it was a painful horrible ordeal (not the burglary itself, the loss adjuster coming round was far worse imo)

I never did get the full value of things back, but most things got replaced as they decided they would replace all my tools, depsite me even having photos of a lot of stuff and receipts they still tried to avoid paying out, and then my premiums went up
Old 17 August 2009, 12:11 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by Sonic'
didnt you post about this at the time Lisa, or was that on another insurance thread

Im not actually sure if I have accidental damage or not on my policy, but tbh for the majority of things in the house it just isnt worth claiming for, and that includes the laptops

I had to claim a few years ago for my garage getting burgled, and it was a painful horrible ordeal (not the burglary itself, the loss adjuster coming round was far worse imo)

I never did get the full value of things back, but most things got replaced as they decided they would replace all my tools, depsite me even having photos of a lot of stuff and receipts they still tried to avoid paying out, and then my premiums went up
Possibly. I did make a silly comment on an insurance thread ages back(someone elses, who seemed to be getting a bit shafted), in all honesty, but that was way before my claim.

In my claim, we were totally straight up about what happened. We weren't sure if we were even covered. I think we were lucky, as we don't have accidental damage cover as such, but reading through all the stuff, there was a part which under the normal insurance, covers for damage to entertainment stuff (tvs, computers, stereos etc.)

Don't know how much it will impact the premium yet, so have to wait and see. They were really good with the claim though, all dealt with, within about a week.
Old 17 August 2009, 10:02 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I knocked mine off my desk with my elbow and that seemed to damage it beyond economical repair according to my insurers.
Old 17 August 2009, 11:13 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We had a cupboard fall off the kitchen wall once breaking all the china but they would not pay out since they said it was not an accident!

Les
Old 17 August 2009, 11:48 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
We had a cupboard fall off the kitchen wall once breaking all the china but they would not pay out since they said it was not an accident!

Les
I should think not, sounds like a case of shoddy workmanship to me Insurers should not have to pay out for stupidity.
Old 17 August 2009, 12:14 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Thanks very much as we all have to pay for fraudelant claims through higher insurance.

The annual cost of insurance fraud to the industry is estimated to be around £1.6 billion. This adds nearly £40 to the average premium paid by honest policyholders.

One in ten Britons commits insurance fraud
Old 17 August 2009, 12:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
I should think not, sounds like a case of shoddy workmanship to me Insurers should not have to pay out for stupidity.
It was still an accident as far as the person who opened the cupboard door was concerned, and a dangerous one at that.

Are you in the insurance business?

Les
Old 17 August 2009, 12:45 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Drop it down the stairs
Old 17 August 2009, 05:51 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Les

A typical "accidental damage" cover provides cover for any fortuitous event (ie not deliberate on your part) which is not specifically excluded Exluded events would include wear and tear, defective workmanship, mechanical breakdown. Likely it was considered to have resulted from one of the excluded events.

A tad harsh imo.

AndytheJock, CII Diploma, ASCT, etc, etc

Last edited by andythejock01wrx; 17 August 2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old 17 August 2009, 05:54 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

It was still an accident as far as the person who opened the cupboard door was concerned, and a dangerous one at that.
It sounds like they fobbed you off Leslie. It should have been covered.
Old 17 August 2009, 07:16 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Here we go.......

Another "can I get away with being a bit dishonest thread"

dl
Old 18 August 2009, 08:42 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Here we go.......

Another "can I get away with being a bit dishonest thread"

dl
And why shouldn't he?

He's probably been paying for his insurance for years and as stated has never claimed.
However, dishonest John down the road who's on benefits probably claims for everything possible.
Old 18 August 2009, 08:52 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
And why shouldn't he?

He's probably been paying for his insurance for years and as stated has never claimed.
However, dishonest John down the road who's on benefits probably claims for everything possible.
So what you are saying is that he should claim for his knackered laptop, by defrauding his insurance company that it was accidentally damaged.......because other people do it?

Last edited by MattW; 18 August 2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 18 August 2009, 08:58 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Just stating a fact that people do claim for "accidental" damage from time to time.
Maybe circumstances dictate this sometimes
Old 18 August 2009, 09:02 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Yup, the circumstances would be that the policy holder is a lying little thief.