Default Sod off Barnardo's

'Too many' young offenders jailed
BBC NEWS | UK | 'Too many' young offenders jailed

the clue you are looking for is Offenders
Old 13 August 2009, 02:06 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

another charity sticking its nose in where its not wanted....
Old 13 August 2009, 02:16 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

What it should have said

Originally Posted by Barnardos
'Too many' young offenders

The report says in one year over 160 young people were jailed
Children as young as 12 are being imprisoned in England and Wales for breaking the law, says the charity Barnardo's.

Barnardo's said so many children committing serious crime was a "tragedy".

The Ministry of Justice said detention should be the last resort - but judges should have the final say.

But Lyn Costello of the charity Mothers Against Murder And Aggression said community punishments were a "waste of time" and young offenders were not being locked up long enough to ensure a change in behaviour.

'Grave offences'

The law specifically states that children aged 14 and under should not be locked up unless they have committed a grave offence or have committed a serious offence and are deemed to be a persistent offender.

But the Barnardo's report found more than a third of 12 to 14-year-olds locked up were little ******* that deserved it.

Barnardo's chief executive Martin Narey: "I've been shocked at the number of very young children we lock up"
Barnardo's surveyed around half of all children who were put in young offender institutions in 2007.

More than a fifth were locked up for breaching an Anti-social Behaviour Order or similar punishment, half were victims of abuse and more than a third were living with an adult criminal.

Barnardo's chief executive Martin Narey said that until 1998 it would have been illegal to imprison these young people unless they had committed one of the so-called "grave offences". Luckily, the law was changed to ensure the little *******s got the punishment they deserved.

"Now we do this, every year, to more than 400 children aged 12, 13 and 14.

"This is a tragedy for the young people themselves, it's a shocking waste of money and, in terms of reducing their offending and doing anything to protect victims, it is almost invariably ineffective because prisons are so bloody soft and their parents were so useless in the first place.

"We are calling for stricter, clearer rules on sending children as young as 12 to custody so that practice can be brought into line with government policy."

Juliet Lyon, director of the Prison Reform Trust, said: "We know that sending children to prison is expensive and ineffective, with three-quarters reoffending within a year of release but unfortunately hard labour is fronwed upon these days.

"Yet we still persist in sending thousands of our most vulnerable young people into corrosive youth custody every year. We need sentences that work, not those that lead children into more trouble."

Meanwhile, a committee of MPs has warned that custodial sentences are being used inconsistently.

The Commons justice committee said there was no "common understanding" of what was meant by "last resort" and warned of "regional variations" across England and Wales.

It said some young offenders were being locked up when there were not enough resources to provide community punishments, the committee said, because it's better than letting them back on the streets to cause misery for decent folk.

And it celebrated new guidelines for youth courts that could mean children under 14 being locked up for three minor offences even if they have never appeared in court.

Committee chairman Sir Alan Beith told the BBC's Today programme young people in the UK did not commit more crime than people in other countries, but far more of them were locked up.

He added: "We know that custody in one of our holiday camp-style Young Offenders Institutes does not work to reduce reoffending, and that it does not have a deterrent effect on young people, because their lives lack decent role models because, let's face it, their parents will be morally bankrupt low-life scum, our obsession with celebrities permeates an attitude of material possessions over values and even those in charge can't be trusted to be honest"

However, Ms Costello said community sentences made little difference to many young offenders because "they don't take them seriously 'cos it's usually a doss with a few mates and you get to mess around with petrol powered lawnmowers or rob old ladies whose house you're supposed to be painting".

She added: "My problem is that these kids serve very short sentences and we don't have time to do anything with them. It takes a while to get them into the swing of rock breaking in the hot Nevada sun.

"We need to help these young people so that they come out with different attitudes. Maybe through the use of powerful electric shocks or uncontrolled, experimental drugs"

A spokesman for the Ministry of Justice said that in 97% of cases, young offenders did not receive custodial sentences leaving them sticking two fingers up at the law and pissing in the face of whoever it was that had their car robbed in the first place.

He said: "In the most serious of cases, however, it is right that a custodial sentence is imposed but it should be a bloody long one.

"Once a custodial sentence has been served we believe it is vital that young people are given the chance to get back on the right path and make a positive contribution to their communities or be quickly and quietly removed from society and their bodies used as the foundations for a new generation of nuclear power plants."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you been detained as a young offender? Do you have children who have been wrongly imprisoned at a young age? Share your experience by filling in the form below.

If you are under 18 years old, we will need permission from a parent or guardian to publish and discuss your experience.
Old 13 August 2009, 02:32 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Perhap's they should start making the parents responsible to make good any crimes that their offspring have committed.

les
Old 13 August 2009, 03:15 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

cant do the time? dont do the crime.

Applicable at any age.
Old 13 August 2009, 03:24 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

congrat bernados, now off my donations list due to stupid, short sighted and wolley leftie thinking.

do some good for kids that need and deserve it FFS.

Problem kids commiting crimes and being a menace to society need putting away, retaining and educating before being released back into society.

Suggest borstal is reintroduced to sort the problem.

Bernados seem to have ignored the real problems here - how stupid of a respected organisation to do so.

Last edited by The Zohan; 13 August 2009 at 09:35 PM. Reason: edited due to my poor typing
Old 13 August 2009, 04:03 PM
JRFRACE
Scooby Regular

It's not very PC i'll grant you, but would a solution to young offenders as an issue, and certainally in the quantites we see be to identify the worst areas in the country, off the top of my head areas in the north west and south and west yorkshire (probably in london too) mostly parts of cities where these people and their communties exist and simply initiate a program of sterilisation.

They could live out their own lives and we'd reduce benefit costs/lower crime/ more housing for people

I accept there is a small problem of 'human rights' and reducing the variety in the gene pool which is probably risky, anyone else any thoughts?

or am i just Hitler
Old 13 August 2009, 05:23 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
congrat bernados, not off my donations list due to stupid, short sighted and wolley leftie thinking.

do sonme good for kids that need and deserve it FFS.

Problem kidsd commiting crimes and being a menace to society need putting away, retaining and educating beofre beig released back into society.

Suggest borstal is reintroduced to sort the problem.

Bernados seem to have ignored the real problems here - how stupid of a respected organisation to do so.

Are you on medication?

The random typing and thinking here; the entirely dreadful random strawberry 'joke'.

Just wondering?
Old 13 August 2009, 05:57 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trout
Are you on medication?

The random typing and thinking here; the entirely dreadful random strawberry 'joke'.

Just wondering?

I quite liked the strawberry joke
Old 13 August 2009, 07:52 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

We must have hundreds of small islands off Scotland & England. Can't we build a small community up there and just let them get on with it. In 200 years we might have another Kylie.

Or, move them all next door to the Barnados chief exec
Old 13 August 2009, 08:03 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

I used to give to Banardos when they come round collecting, that was until I found out he died years ago !

Old 13 August 2009, 09:26 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
Are you on medication?

Just wondering?
Typed at work in a hurry i'm afraid, new rules mean we are not really allowed to use the web for personal stuff

Oh and i am on medication a shed load of it and now under a cardiologist to boot (OK not literally under him) due to my GP screwing up and giving me the wrong meds and damaging my heart...bless her. Not on disability but entitled to, feel well enough to work (mostly) and contribute so i do

Last edited by The Zohan; 13 August 2009 at 09:32 PM.