Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Kids footbal

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2009, 05:23 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kids footbal

I'm just looking for a bit of feedback on this one.

My lad plays for a local under 10 team which has an A, B, and C team, 7 aside.
The league is competitive and games are taken quite seriously for their age.

My lad plays in the crap team C although he is captain and is as good as some of the A and B players.

The A and B want to take some of our players to give them an extra 2 each as subs as we have 3-4 spare players.

I have loyalty's to our team as I am assistant coach but I want my lad to go over to the A or B team but our coach understandably wants to keep him.
The bottom line is our team is crap and has no future. 4 players have ability whereas 6 are utter rubbish.

I can't decide wether to allow my lad over to the A/B which will ruin the
team and upset the coach, and I will have to give up my role, or keep my lad in the C team where he won't develop and lose every match he plays in.

Not a serious subject I know, but it is a Sunday afternoon.
Old 26 July 2009, 07:11 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I think it is a serious subject, I am coaching wit, of all things, an under 7s (soon to be U*s) side, and we have two teams, and the manager decided that the A team would have the best players. When this was instigated, some of the parents were not happy. (My son is in the 'A' by the way) It was explained that this is the way it is done, and every player, whether A or B side, will be trained in the same way. I personally take it as a personal challenge to get the kids in the B team nearer to the levels of the A team. If my son lets his effort level slip, or his learning curve flattens out, I accept he will be in the B.

Enough of my side of things, I think you can let your child go to the B/A and still coach the Cs. If anything, you will be being more loyal to the team, not leaving them in their time of need. It is pre-season, and you and the other coaches can ask around if there are any players who want to train. It might turn up some pearlers!
My son enjoys it more if I am not training him directly, and I find he trains better without me pushing him. That suits me, its all about what he wants, as it should be with your son. He will progress quicker if he goes up a level, though.
Old 27 July 2009, 08:41 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
What does your lad want to do?

Dave

He wants to move up to the A or B team but I have influenced his decision I am sure.

I may allow the manager to make the decision as he has years of experience and I won't feel as guilty to the rest of the team if my lad goes.
Old 27 July 2009, 08:55 PM
greatgonzo
Scooby Regular

You need to speak to your son to get the truth and understand his feelings.If he wants to go up then its his decision and you can stand by him with head hung high
If you speak to the manager and explain your decision I am sure he will understand. The C team will get over it and im sure they can get another lad in.
Old 27 July 2009, 09:20 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

I am sure he will develop much more in the better team .
Unless he really wants to stay in the C team ,then I would encourage him to move up to the A/B Team .

I am sure you will still want to watch him play though ,so if you cant do this because of your commitment to training the C team ,then I would be trying to get a coaching role with the team your son moves up too if possible or leave the coaching side for a while .(to allow you to watch him in the Matches he will play in .)

There is nothing better than watching your own son /daughter play competitively for any type of team .
Good Luck in your decisions .
Old 03 August 2009, 10:31 PM
ScottishRayman
Scooby Regular

So the Manager wants to keep him in team C so that his team is not further inbalanced with abilty. Remind the Manager that its about development at such young age and not about 'him' getting results. This comes on the back of playing pro-football (10 yrs) and now Pro Youth coach for Premier team (5 yrs).
Old 03 August 2009, 10:34 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

The lad's made the decision - so let him go.

G
Old 04 August 2009, 12:00 AM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Well in the end the decision was made for him to stay in the C team and the A+B will recruit new players. If he had of gone the team would have folded.