Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Educashun, educashun, educashun.

Search this Thread

Old 22 July 2009, 12:56 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Educashun, educashun, educashun.

Or, under Nu Labia, should it be, "child minding, child minding, child minding".

I refer, of course, to Lying Labour's IMMEDIATE response to their advisers' suggestion of closing schools this Autumn, in order to break the cycle of infection of swine flu, a suggestion they say could cut infection rates by 45%.

Labour's immediate response: "Oh we couldn't do that, the disruption to society would be too great."

Teacher= child minder under Labour.:Mad:
Old 22 July 2009, 01:05 PM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

The flu is completely out of control & widespread.

Closing schools will do nothing to prevent the spread - merely slow it down a bit. I agree with the labour minister in this (rare) case.
Old 22 July 2009, 01:10 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

If there's additional weeks off, my kids won't need to worry about Swine Flu killing them......

Dan
Old 22 July 2009, 01:14 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I work and have a school aged child, and yes, it would be disruptive for me to find somewhere else for her to go whilst I go back to work. I only get 6 weeks holiday, she has twice that and more. What am I supposed to do?
Old 22 July 2009, 01:29 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
I work and have a school aged child, and yes, it would be disruptive for me to find somewhere else for her to go whilst I go back to work. I only get 6 weeks holiday, she has twice that and more. What am I supposed to do?
Become a teacher
Old 22 July 2009, 01:36 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It was reported the other day that one of the examiners had said they have been asked to go easy on marking this year's exams. Any sign that the child had a rough idea of what they were being asked was said to be worth extra marks!

Les
Old 22 July 2009, 02:26 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Become a teacher
LMAO oh how true!

Having started a new job i only have some 12 days holiday due to me which i plan to use to cover the children and see them during their hols, Jenny does the same and if we are lucky we might overlap as well.

We could of course give up work, it would need both of us to do this so we could both sponge off of the state and make it worth our while. However, we have some pride and half decent values and would not go this route. Instead we work to pay our way and if the the hols extend it will cause us real problems with employers.

Not siding with the gov't or the slackers, sorry teachers (just kidding) but it is tough, pressures of work and the current working climate makes it difficult for employers and employees alike.

Ultimately we want our kids safe and chances are one if not both of us will need to take unpaid leave.
Old 22 July 2009, 03:12 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

It's not the teachers and lecturers etc who are saying, "have an extended holiday"!

Believe me, despite only just breaking up, I'm SOOO looking forward to getting back in to work in September. Can't wait. This disruption doesn't just screw up the parents who (and here's the novel concept) have to LOOK after THEIR kids

Think about your child's education. They are on a relatively strict timetable with what they have to learn during the year. Any missed time SERIOUSLY ***** up their year.

This is certainly the case with FE (where I am) - I've only got 36 weeks to get across what I have to do. Bl00dy difficult at the best of times, let alone with less time

I sincerely hope that this idea doesn't happen.

Dan
Old 22 July 2009, 04:06 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

What ever happened to Summer schools?
Even if the govt paid a proportion of the fees and parents paid the rest I bet they would be popular.
How anyone can expect a working family to cope with a 6 week holiday is beyond me.
Old 22 July 2009, 04:08 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Not saying it should, I was just interested in the "Education, education, education" party's response:
Not, "It might fek up their education", but "it would seriously disrupt SOCIETY.
Old 22 July 2009, 04:15 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
Not saying it should, I was just interested in the "Education, education, education" party's response:
Not, "It might fek up their education", but "it would seriously disrupt SOCIETY.
Like 'society' isn't disrupted already LOL
Old 22 July 2009, 04:16 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

gotcha

get a bit sensitive about this type of stuff

Dan
Old 22 July 2009, 04:19 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by +Doc+
What ever happened to Summer schools?
Even if the govt paid a proportion of the fees and parents paid the rest I bet they would be popular.
How anyone can expect a working family to cope with a 6 week holiday is beyond me.
Summer schools around our way are £ 150-200 per week x 2 for our kids 400.00 per week is going to be pretty tought to stomach, actually child minders are similar cost so either way one of us is working for for pretty much nothing (after tax) for x number of weeks.

Kids safety is paramount, TBH a bit of help from grandparents would not go amiss but that is another story!
Old 22 July 2009, 04:25 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I do look after my child extremely well actually, and because I work, that makes me a bad parent does it?
Old 22 July 2009, 07:23 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Summer schools around our way are £ 150-200 per week x 2 for our kids 400.00 per week is going to be pretty tought to stomach, actually child minders are similar cost so either way one of us is working for for pretty much nothing (after tax) for x number of weeks.

Kids safety is paramount, TBH a bit of help from grandparents would not go amiss but that is another story!
I suppose it is on par with Nursery fee's.
If the govt was that bothered about making sure everyone was encouraged to go back to work you would think they would have incentives to help in these cases. As it stands it would actually cost our family if my wife was to seek employment, something is very wrong there.
Old 22 July 2009, 07:36 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
I do look after my child extremely well actually, and because I work, that makes me a bad parent does it?
I'm guessing this comment is aimed at me

Of course it doesn't make you a bad parent. Never said you were I'm venting because I get sick and tired of the attitudes of a lot of parents (even from post-16 kids) that I'm (and by association, teachers) a glorified child-minder, along with the institution.

I've lost count of the amount of times that students have been sent to college despite being ill, because parents didn't want them in the house.

This is the bone of contention really - when my kids are ill, I have to take time off. Simple. IMHO, I should be no different to all other parents (hence my comment about about looking after their kids)

There are a great many parents who are lucky to have extended family to call upon - I choose not to (mine & wifey's kids, mine & wifey's responsibilty)

In my eyes quite simple. But that's my opinion.

Dan

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 22 July 2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 22 July 2009, 08:13 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

If the country wasn't screwed a bloke could earn enough to keep his family fed....

Allowing the "little woman" to child mind.

Sorry !

You have to be joking, "I'd rather send my kid into an infectious hell" than risk losing some money....

Get real !

dunx
Old 22 July 2009, 08:30 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

LOL @ "little woman" - you gonna get burned

I too would prefer and DO send my kids every day. It's the schools that send em home for the smallest of things
My wife's a nurse - so she's pretty qualified to know whether or not the kids (and me!)) should go to school.

And for those that turn up at my college for class, as much as I would like to keep them, I've got to send them off. Especially if they've been sick (24hours away from college)
What the parents/families do to cover is their problem.

Just as it would be mine when I or Wifey has to invariably either pick my own spawn up due to whatever illness they've come down with.

There's some guideline about one person not screwing up the "learning experience" for the rest of the group - especially if they all get it.

I'm not saying the rule's right or wrong, but the establishments have to implement it.

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 22 July 2009 at 09:36 PM. Reason: kinda contradicted myself :D amendments in italics
Old 22 July 2009, 09:21 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Seen kids go into school with eyes like two p*ssholes in the snow, massive temperature, unable to stay awake etc.

When asked, "WHY are you here?", their response is, "It's the day my mum goes to market, she said I had to come."

Disgusting.
Old 22 July 2009, 09:34 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

which comes back to your initial statement -

Labour's immediate response: "Oh we couldn't do that, the disruption to society would be too great."
Society has been empowered with this issue - sadly there are a lot of people within our society who aren't responsible enough to handle it

Now the lid's been taken off, it can't be put back on.

One other thing I heard that I think on ruefully, is that you need a license to drive a car, yet anybody can have kids
However, that sort of talk tends to "angry up the locals"