Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Blair moves the goalposts AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2006, 08:52 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry Blair moves the goalposts AGAIN!

Ten years after his infamous "Educashun, educashun, educashun" speech, Bliar is to give a speech today revealing that he wants schools to teach life skills too.

Apparently, he is to say that every child should leave school able to cook, surf the internet, manage personal finances and appreciate the arts

Whilst I applaud SOME of the sentiments, I find it difficult to see how schools will fit this in to the extremely restrictive and proscribed "National Curriculum", so beloved of Labour.

Indeed, primaries, with the much lauded "Primary Strategy", including literacy hour and numeracy hour, are already overloaded. Secondaries, with exams at 14 and 16, and league tables to think about, have had no time for anything EXCEPT national curriculum, for years.

Just another soundbite, then?

Perhaps not. Labour have a way of inflicting stuff like this on teachers, despite being TOLD of the problems

Then, if it doesn't work, it's lazy teachers' faults

And if teachers work even harder to MAKE it at least partly work, they are told, either, "Told you so", or "It was too easy, it's been dumbed down,".

I dispair of this government.

Alcazar
Old 30 November 2006, 08:59 AM
Curse of the Rushing Gimp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every other day we have 'New Labour' introducing new stuff. Bring back the birch, get some disclipine back into the classroom and we won't have these problems part from a good chav public flogging
Old 30 November 2006, 09:02 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

I learnt to spell,add up and write.

I feel like a genius in this day and age with children marvelling at my 'maths without a calculator'.

Still can't get over the 18 year old who told me 'I don't understand percentages'(just before she started her new job at the building society)
Old 30 November 2006, 09:08 AM
DJ Vinyl Ritchie
BANNED

Originally Posted by Curse of the Russian Gimp
Every other day we have 'New Labour' introducing new stuff. Bring back the birch, get some disclipine back into the classroom and we won't have these problems part from a good chav public flogging

Discipline is the key. There are no severe consequences for their actions, ''slap on the wrist, don't do it again, now on your way.''

DJ Vinyl Ritchie......... Bring back capital punishment...... Bring back national service, you should hear the stories uncle Pete has, when he did his back in the late 40's
Old 30 November 2006, 09:28 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sadly i agree with all of the above, what a sorry state of affairs.

Blair is on his farewell tour of the world.

It is a shame that the bad points of Tones reign outweigh the good stuff!

I doubt if we will be seen as a great, inspirational, caring and compassionate leader.
Old 30 November 2006, 09:39 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

TB is soooooooooooo desperate to leave a legacy other than the Iraq disaster. It's funny because it won't work.

What will people remember Tony Blair for in 10/20 years time?
2 things:
Spin and Iraq mess.
Old 30 November 2006, 11:49 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

I'd like to see him remembered for being the git that brought in the sytem that allowed Scottish MPs to vote NOT to give English kids grants for further education, then vote to GIVE them to Scottish kids.

Disgusting I loathe the man, and I utterly despise that scruffy Scots pension thief: "You all need to save MORE, (and the fact that I've taken £5billion a year out of your pension funds has nothing to do with it, at least Tone and I will get ours )"

Alcazar
Old 30 November 2006, 12:21 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I thought teaching kids 'life skills' was the ******* parents' job
Old 30 November 2006, 12:22 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It just goes to underline that their bibles must be Animal Farm followed up by 1984!

Les
Old 30 November 2006, 12:32 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by alcazar
Ten years after his infamous "Educashun, educashun, educashun" speech, Bliar is to give a speech today revealing that he wants schools to teach life skills too.

Apparently, he is to say that every child should leave school able to cook, surf the internet, manage personal finances and appreciate the arts

Whilst I applaud SOME of the sentiments, I find it difficult to see how schools will fit this in to the extremely restrictive and proscribed "National Curriculum", so beloved of Labour.

Indeed, primaries, with the much lauded "Primary Strategy", including literacy hour and numeracy hour, are already overloaded. Secondaries, with exams at 14 and 16, and league tables to think about, have had no time for anything EXCEPT national curriculum, for years.

Just another soundbite, then?

Perhaps not. Labour have a way of inflicting stuff like this on teachers, despite being TOLD of the problems

Then, if it doesn't work, it's lazy teachers' faults

And if teachers work even harder to MAKE it at least partly work, they are told, either, "Told you so", or "It was too easy, it's been dumbed down,".

I dispair of this government.

Alcazar
Blair's Britain. Life skills for the future generation:

Kids should be able to cook..........A pot noodle
Surf the net...........for DSS scams
Manage personal finances............collect their DSS
Apreciate the arts.............look at the permanent marker tabs on the bus stop on the way back from collecting their DSS.

Don't kid yourself Blair, soundbites aint going to save you this time. Your legacy as far as education goes WILL be the betrayal of a generation of teachers and pupils!!

Just p*ss off quietly and let someone else have a go!

Ns04