Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Labour finally back down on ID cards.

Search this Thread

Old 30 June 2009, 06:17 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Labour finally back down on ID cards.

ID cards to stay voluntary: Johnson - News - Virgin Media

Not before time.

Now they should be forced to pay back what it's cost so far, out of their own pockets:mad;
Old 01 July 2009, 12:36 AM
Martin2005
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Just like Arnie - they'll be back! Labour will NOT kill ID cards whilst they still have some power left. The only way to get rid will be to vote out the current bunch of shisters and vote in someone who has stated that they will kill them off.

Dave
Thats good news Dave, the Green Party have clearly stated their opposition to ID cards, I'm sure they will be grateful for your support
Old 01 July 2009, 12:48 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Although these days I'm wondering if the right to anonymity is vastly over abused in this country?
Old 01 July 2009, 01:47 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

The Database behind the cards (NIR) is still going on though - and from 2011 you will have to provide the biometric information to get a passport - so not that much has changed
Old 01 July 2009, 01:49 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Shame. I was looking forward to seeing what the authorities would do when I refused to have one.
Old 01 July 2009, 02:21 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jerome
Shame. I was looking forward to seeing what the authorities would do when I refused to have one.
When your passport runs out, not being able to get a new one, same with driving licence, eventually not being able to obtain credit cards, loans, mortgages etc

So aslong as your house is paid off, you don't like driving or holidays abroad, you would of been fine
Old 01 July 2009, 02:45 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
When your passport runs out, not being able to get a new one, same with driving licence, eventually not being able to obtain credit cards, loans, mortgages etc

So aslong as your house is paid off, you don't like driving or holidays abroad, you would of been fine
None of the things on your list will affect me for the next few years anyway.

I was just hoping there would be a period where ID cards were compulsory and I could refuse to carry one.
Old 01 July 2009, 02:50 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by warrenm2
The Database behind the cards (NIR) is still going on though - and from 2011 you will have to provide the biometric information to get a passport - so not that much has changed
That is why i renewed mine a year ago - with five years left before it expired so that i could delay the data-rape as long as possible (hopefully forever when NuLab get thrown out into third or even fourth place!).

I reckon that i even saved money, as the price of a passport is increasing exponentially

mb
Old 01 July 2009, 02:51 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They may well say that when they do bring them in that it will not be compulsory to have one, you can be sure though that they will ensure that life will become almost impossible if you have not got one!

From there of course its a small step to make them compulsory later.

Les
Old 01 July 2009, 03:31 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Jerome
You already have one mate it is called an MOD 90!!
Old 01 July 2009, 03:46 PM
Jerome
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wurzel
You already have one mate it is called an MOD 90!!
Exactly. And a photo ID driving licence...
Old 01 July 2009, 03:49 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, starting to gear up for an election do you think?

Regardless of what they do they haven't got a hope in hell of winning
Old 01 July 2009, 11:03 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Hmmm, starting to gear up for an election do you think?

Regardless of what they do they haven't got a hope in hell of winning
Never underestimate the British public mate
Old 02 July 2009, 11:00 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

True!

Les
Old 02 July 2009, 11:04 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Yep, they voted Major in after a disastrous time under Maggie
Old 02 July 2009, 11:18 AM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Although these days I'm wondering if the right to anonymity is vastly over abused in this country?
So you want a card in your wallet that contains your photo, fingerprint, address, driving liscence points, criminal convictions, credit rating, height and weight and any other info this orwellian state thinks the ******* coppers should have instant access to?

Why do we nned to carry these around?, its akin to some german shouting "papers" to any passing citizen in 1940's!

If someone nicked your wallet, id theft will be MUCH easier!

Another point, imagine having a caution for possesing 3 extacy tablets for your own consumption 5 years ago. Your in a pub that gets raided at 11 on a friday night (happening mor and more round here, ******* coppers wont let people have a good time) and some one throws 2 pills wrapped in clingfilm on the floor near you and you dont notice, ther coppers would find them near your feet and ASSUME they are yours cos they are near you, they would then want to look at your id card-which contains your past caution for 3 pills-and ASSUME they are yours and arrest you. Yoiu would have to go the staion before you could argue they arent yours, so your nght gets wasted and it isnt your fault.

And the ******* coppers would love having that sort of power over people, it WOULD get abused!
Old 02 July 2009, 01:23 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8WRX
So you want a card in your wallet that contains your photo, fingerprint, address, driving liscence points, criminal convictions, credit rating, height and weight and any other info this orwellian state thinks the ******* coppers should have instant access to?

Why do we nned to carry these around?, its akin to some german shouting "papers" to any passing citizen in 1940's!

If someone nicked your wallet, id theft will be MUCH easier!

Another point, imagine having a caution for possesing 3 extacy tablets for your own consumption 5 years ago. Your in a pub that gets raided at 11 on a friday night (happening mor and more round here, ******* coppers wont let people have a good time) and some one throws 2 pills wrapped in clingfilm on the floor near you and you dont notice, ther coppers would find them near your feet and ASSUME they are yours cos they are near you, they would then want to look at your id card-which contains your past caution for 3 pills-and ASSUME they are yours and arrest you. Yoiu would have to go the staion before you could argue they arent yours, so your nght gets wasted and it isnt your fault.

And the ******* coppers would love having that sort of power over people, it WOULD get abused!
Bit of a weak argument imho.

If you deliberately break the law by carrying disco biscuits and get caught, then the powleece would remember regardless.

Some Police would abuse (and do abuse) their power regardless of the input of I.D. cards. Using an illegal activity to argue against I.D. cards is a little flawed, again imho.

For the record I'm against the idea very strongly. But if you break the law (knowingly) you can't really complain to be fair. (and I'm not saying it's right for the rozzers to assume things either before you mention it mate).
Old 03 July 2009, 01:44 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The real reason behind them is for the authorities to be in possession of every bit of your personal information!

Les