ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Labour finally back down on ID cards. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/775313-labour-finally-back-down-on-id-cards.html)

tanyatriangles 30 June 2009 06:17 PM

Labour finally back down on ID cards.

ID cards to stay voluntary: Johnson - News - Virgin Media

Not before time.

Now they should be forced to pay back what it's cost so far, out of their own pockets:mad;

hutton_d 30 June 2009 07:00 PM

Just like Arnie - they'll be back! Labour will NOT kill ID cards whilst they still have some power left. The only way to get rid will be to vote out the current bunch of shisters and vote in someone who has stated that they will kill them off.

Dave

Martin2005 01 July 2009 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 8795727)
Just like Arnie - they'll be back! Labour will NOT kill ID cards whilst they still have some power left. The only way to get rid will be to vote out the current bunch of shisters and vote in someone who has stated that they will kill them off.

Dave

Thats good news Dave, the Green Party have clearly stated their opposition to ID cards, I'm sure they will be grateful for your support:lol1:;)

ALi-B 01 July 2009 12:48 AM

Although these days I'm wondering if the right to anonymity is vastly over abused in this country? :wonder:

warrenm2 01 July 2009 01:47 PM

The Database behind the cards (NIR) is still going on though - and from 2011 you will have to provide the biometric information to get a passport - so not that much has changed

Jerome 01 July 2009 01:49 PM

Shame. I was looking forward to seeing what the authorities would do when I refused to have one.

Dedrater 01 July 2009 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jerome (Post 8796969)
Shame. I was looking forward to seeing what the authorities would do when I refused to have one.

When your passport runs out, not being able to get a new one, same with driving licence, eventually not being able to obtain credit cards, loans, mortgages etc

So aslong as your house is paid off, you don't like driving or holidays abroad, you would of been fine:D

Jerome 01 July 2009 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dedrater (Post 8797007)
When your passport runs out, not being able to get a new one, same with driving licence, eventually not being able to obtain credit cards, loans, mortgages etc

So aslong as your house is paid off, you don't like driving or holidays abroad, you would of been fine:D

None of the things on your list will affect me for the next few years anyway. :)

I was just hoping there would be a period where ID cards were compulsory and I could refuse to carry one.

boomer 01 July 2009 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by warrenm2 (Post 8796967)
The Database behind the cards (NIR) is still going on though - and from 2011 you will have to provide the biometric information to get a passport - so not that much has changed

That is why i renewed mine a year ago - with five years left before it expired so that i could delay the data-rape as long as possible (hopefully forever when NuLab get thrown out into third or even fourth place!).

I reckon that i even saved money, as the price of a passport is increasing exponentially :(

mb

Leslie 01 July 2009 02:51 PM

They may well say that when they do bring them in that it will not be compulsory to have one, you can be sure though that they will ensure that life will become almost impossible if you have not got one!

From there of course its a small step to make them compulsory later.

Les

Wurzel 01 July 2009 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jerome (Post 8796969)

You already have one mate it is called an MOD 90!!

Jerome 01 July 2009 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Wurzel (Post 8797107)
You already have one mate it is called an MOD 90!!

Exactly. And a photo ID driving licence...

Coffin Dodger 01 July 2009 03:49 PM

Hmmm, starting to gear up for an election do you think?

Regardless of what they do they haven't got a hope in hell of winning :D

cster 01 July 2009 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger (Post 8797135)
Hmmm, starting to gear up for an election do you think?

Regardless of what they do they haven't got a hope in hell of winning :D

Never underestimate the British public mate:cuckoo:

Leslie 02 July 2009 11:00 AM

True!

Les

tanyatriangles 02 July 2009 11:04 AM

Yep, they voted Major in after a disastrous time under Maggie:(

GC8WRX 02 July 2009 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 8796456)
Although these days I'm wondering if the right to anonymity is vastly over abused in this country? :wonder:

So you want a card in your wallet that contains your photo, fingerprint, address, driving liscence points, criminal convictions, credit rating, height and weight and any other info this orwellian state thinks the fcuking coppers should have instant access to?

Why do we nned to carry these around?, its akin to some german shouting "papers" to any passing citizen in 1940's!

If someone nicked your wallet, id theft will be MUCH easier!

Another point, imagine having a caution for possesing 3 extacy tablets for your own consumption 5 years ago. Your in a pub that gets raided at 11 on a friday night (happening mor and more round here, fcuking coppers wont let people have a good time) and some one throws 2 pills wrapped in clingfilm on the floor near you and you dont notice, ther coppers would find them near your feet and ASSUME they are yours cos they are near you, they would then want to look at your id card-which contains your past caution for 3 pills-and ASSUME they are yours and arrest you. Yoiu would have to go the staion before you could argue they arent yours, so your nght gets wasted and it isnt your fault.

And the nobhead coppers would love having that sort of power over people, it WOULD get abused!

chocolate_o_brian 02 July 2009 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by GC8WRX (Post 8798518)
So you want a card in your wallet that contains your photo, fingerprint, address, driving liscence points, criminal convictions, credit rating, height and weight and any other info this orwellian state thinks the fcuking coppers should have instant access to?

Why do we nned to carry these around?, its akin to some german shouting "papers" to any passing citizen in 1940's!

If someone nicked your wallet, id theft will be MUCH easier!

Another point, imagine having a caution for possesing 3 extacy tablets for your own consumption 5 years ago. Your in a pub that gets raided at 11 on a friday night (happening mor and more round here, fcuking coppers wont let people have a good time) and some one throws 2 pills wrapped in clingfilm on the floor near you and you dont notice, ther coppers would find them near your feet and ASSUME they are yours cos they are near you, they would then want to look at your id card-which contains your past caution for 3 pills-and ASSUME they are yours and arrest you. Yoiu would have to go the staion before you could argue they arent yours, so your nght gets wasted and it isnt your fault.

And the nobhead coppers would love having that sort of power over people, it WOULD get abused!

Bit of a weak argument imho.

If you deliberately break the law by carrying disco biscuits and get caught, then the powleece would remember regardless.

Some Police would abuse (and do abuse) their power regardless of the input of I.D. cards. Using an illegal activity to argue against I.D. cards is a little flawed, again imho.

For the record I'm against the idea very strongly. But if you break the law (knowingly) you can't really complain to be fair. :) (and I'm not saying it's right for the rozzers to assume things either before you mention it mate).

Leslie 03 July 2009 01:44 PM

The real reason behind them is for the authorities to be in possession of every bit of your personal information!

Les

hutton_d 03 July 2009 06:56 PM

Interesting analysis from the Register at 'Non-compulsory' ID cards poised for a makeover? ? The Register

Interesting footnote especially. More *enabling* legislation going through the house (of expenses). To my mind *enabling* legislation should be made illegal, as should statutory instruments. If legislation needs to be passed get it debated in the house!

Dave