Noisy Neighbours - advice appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2002, 01:48 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Afternoon all,

I was hoping that you would give me some advice on my noisy neighbour situation.

History: have been in semi detached house for nearly a year now and a really quiet close with nice people. The family next door are pleasant enough - Mr and Mrs X with two young boys.

Problem: they really are bl00dy noisy.

Examples: banging of front door very loudly and can be often, screaming and shouting from kids and serious bumping and thumping as they run up and down the stairs.

Solution: not sure at the mo. I have asked them to shut the door quietly on one occasion with no change in habit. Any ideas on what I could do and any of the "noise" laws applying.

It's got to the point now where it is starting to bug me. I am extremely quiet, (apart from home cinema on a couple of nights a week but to be honest I never crank it up.

Any help would be much appreciated as I love the house and location for the moment, but really am p1ssed off with these people. Do you think I'm being too sensitive or have a case to complain? I appreciate I bought a semi, with kids next door but they do seem to be lacking in basic respect and manners. I may well come across as getting on my high horse but until it happens to you, you don't know what it's like!

Cheers,

Mossman
Old 06 March 2002, 02:09 PM
Dan B
Scooby Regular

My missus experienced a similar problem in her flat. Phoned the Council who put her through to the environment agency. There are procedures for this, which I was surprised about.

She got given a form to fill out, which was to detail what noise, level and time. After 2 weeks sent it back.

Agency went round to the offending place and said if you don't shut up you get a fine. nice.

Neighbours seemed to find it quite funny, and they get on okay now.
Old 06 March 2002, 02:29 PM
cheeseboy
Scooby Regular

Mossman mate, this sort of thing has happened to me - except it was with upstairs neighbours. Every time they walked (sounded like jumped) around, or the baby cried I would hear them and at 3 in the morning the last thing I wanted was to be kept awake. The solution for me was to use the same material they use in sound proof rooms. This I bought (not real cheap) from my local music store - well they sourced it for me and I got it through them. There are lots of sound proofing sites on the net too... Anyhow this did the trick - no more noise. Then not long after I left the country and came to live here in Germany :-)

Neal
Old 06 March 2002, 02:55 PM
JoanUK300
Scooby Regular

Gonna be a bit blunt here so here goes....
As you said it`s a three bed semi so you should expect that a family are going to live there. But on the other hand I do understand about the noise, perhaps you should invite one parent in to you for a drink while the others are making a noise and get them to listen to it.
We had the same problem and it`s all sorted now but you must realise that`s as it`s a house it`s bound to have kids in it, that`s why families move to bigger properties.

Hope it all works for you.
Good luck.

Joan.
Old 06 March 2002, 03:10 PM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

May also depend on the age of the property, new houses have bugger all between the walls.

A few years ago went to see a friend in nice new house in maidenbower (eek) and you could literally hear next door walking down the stairs, into the kitchen, filling the kettle.
but they werent exactly being really noisy either.

On the flip side, i have two kids in a detached house, and am really glad no ones attached!
Do you think a 3 year old really gives a monkies that someone has to live next door when they can drive 'tucker' down the steps?

None of these are particularly helpful, but hope it doesnt get nasty tho as i've had a few run ins with neighbours in the past (pre kids), they might decide a similar action against your scoob exhaust if its noisy and you leave early/come home late etc.
Old 06 March 2002, 03:19 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

Know where you're coming from

Live in a terraced house with a couple on either side - both bang their front doors as hard as possible and it even shakes the whole house

Then theres them going up and down stairs And if thats not enough one side plays loud music until after 1am in the morning and the other side has their wake up alarm on soooooo loud at 6:30am that the bass can be heard over our mini stereo in the bedroom on half to two thirds volume

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 06 March 2002, 03:32 PM
Lenny.
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ask nicely, consider the council Environmental Health / Noise department if it fails.

If you do "tit for tat" it will escalate!

Alternatively, fit a timer plug on your stereo for when you go out......
Old 06 March 2002, 04:14 PM
SWRTWannabe
Scooby Regular

We just moved to a three bed semi, and while we try to be as considerate as possible to the neighbours, I think it might just come down to not realising how much noise they make - the suggestion of demonstrating it might help.

Doors are always an interesting topic - I shut the door of the Scoob as hard as is necessary to close it and nothing more - after Miss SWRTWannabe has closed the door, the car rocks for at least 30 seconds
Old 06 March 2002, 05:30 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Simple answer is "be noiser then them".

I can loan you 4 x EV 18" sub bins (1200w each) and a 5kW EV amp for an evening if you want. I am sure the noise would stop after that.

Seriously, i had this at my last house, but the noise was the boyfriend from hell beating the cr@p out of the girl. Had me and the neighbours out of bed a few times i can tell you, until one night the police battered down the door and pinned the guy down by the throat. Didnt happen again as he went down for it.

Dave
Old 06 March 2002, 08:12 PM
drumsterphil
Scooby Regular

I had the problem in my last flat. Didn't fancy getting the council involved as when you sell the house you have to declare whether you've had any problems with the neighbours - so I moved and am now much happier!

On another note - my band can be hired for very resonable rates and can quite happily sound like armageddon has arrived if you want a bit of retaliation! hehe

DP.

Old 06 March 2002, 08:26 PM
Jer
Scooby Regular

I once lived in a flat in Dundee. This couple lived next door. Every other night he would get pissed, beat her up and make a hell of a noise. One night when he was pissed and giving her a kickin I banged on the wall. Next thing he started kicking my door and threatening to kill me.
Anyway he did not work, so I thought they must have been fiddling the social. One call to the DSS anonymously and they were out flat the next week.
A bit underhand but it did the trick.

Jer
Old 06 March 2002, 09:39 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Question

Mossman,

not that it matters as to the noise, but were you or your neighbours there first? Just getting a feeling for when the problem began.

It is always best to try for an amicable solution, so if you can mention in passing and light-heartedly that "there way a bit of a commotion last night" - you may be able to bring the conversation around to any noise nuisance.

It is not worth falling out over (at least in the early stages), otherwise things may escalate - and you get dog turds tossed into your garden and cars parked across your drive!!

Save the official (council) stuff for when polite negotiation fails (which it probably/hopefully won't!).

mb
Old 03 June 2002, 10:55 PM
Lenny.
Scooby Regular

When I was 16 I worked in an electronics shop.

I asked the manager what to do if I saw someone nicking things. He replied "no-one likes a smack in the mouth"

I know these people aren't nicking your stuff, but they are pizzing you off, which puts them in the same category.

Don't condone anything unpleasant, but some people may take comfort in what he said...............

[Edited by Lenny - 3/6/2002 11:18:55 PM]