Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Opinions on this advice form a garage..

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2009, 04:49 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Opinions on this advice form a garage..

My cars MOT is up and i know it will fail as it need a little work done to the front suspension etc.

So offs i go to a local garage, tell him what i "think" is wrong, he gets her up on a ramp and he confirms my what i thought was the issue. But he told me before I let him at my car to put it thru MOT and get the list of issues for it first then he'll fix it up as the MOT centres equipment would give a better diagnosis than his own. Then he'll work away at it the issues.

Now does this sound alright? I'm a bit concerned that if a mechanic can't trust his own judgement maybe he aint that good?

Finding it very hard getting a good "local" mechanic as the last 2 i have went too have been absolute idiots.
Old 18 June 2009, 04:57 PM
adehook
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe the work that need doing is boarder line on pass/fail? so best take it as it might pass?
Old 18 June 2009, 04:59 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

most good mechanics I have dealt with have a very good relationship with the local MOT station

and would not send a car there just to get a list of faults

if any unforseen happen at the test, unless serious I,m sure the MOT tester would accept the word of the mechanic that they would be rectified prior to the customer collecting the car

just my initial thoughts on it
Old 18 June 2009, 05:03 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Sounds to me like either

a) he's trying to save you time and/or money - doing all the necessary work while the car is up on the ramp and savng you a return trip to the garage and an MOT re-test, or

b) he wants to make sure he gets all the work the MOT station deems necessary, rather than risking that you'll take it somewhere else.

Up to you really - neither is 'dodgy' as such IMHO. Personally I'd get him to do the work you know needs doing, then take it for the test and see how you get on.
Old 18 June 2009, 05:28 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Its that badge on the front Jamz - as soon as they see an alfa coming they know there will be more than just its suspension thats frigged.

Seriously though, he is maybe hoping that there will be more work than just the suspension needing sorted, maybe it is 50 / 50 on whether it will pass or fail. you are the customer, if you only want the suspension sorted, forget the MOT bit, just tell him the suspension is toast and needs work. If it fails MOT up to you where you go to have it fixed. Unless of course it fails on the suspension work he is supposed to have done!!!

Are you still working around Belfast - I can recommend a good garage in Castlereagh who will sort you out. Failing that give Hammy a shout from SI.
Old 18 June 2009, 06:32 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Unemployed for the last 4weeks so basically i'm putting all my money into fixing the car and getting thru MOT so if i get a job in the next few weeks i can actually travel to it or failing that i'll beable to sell it with a fresh MOT.

I think the guy will be grand as he was recommended by AndyMac. I just wasn't sure on how to take the advice. The lower balljoint in the front suspension has alot of play on it and the exhaust heatsheild is basically held on by the exhaust itself Good ol' Alfas
Old 18 June 2009, 06:52 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

I'd do as he says to be honest.
Take it to the centre and then when if fails take it to the garage so he can fix the failed areas.
They only check what it failed for on the retest.
I've a mate who does this very same thing every year

Shaun
Old 18 June 2009, 08:57 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Yep. I had similar for the last MOT. I knew a suspension arm needed replacing and I'd already bought it. Said this to the MOT man and he said he'd do the MOT first then the suspension work, as he'd then know what else, if anything, was needed to get it through the MOT. Helped that the mechanic and MOT tester were one and the same .....

Dave
if only this were the case in NI!
Old 18 June 2009, 09:07 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
My cars MOT is up and i know it will fail as it need a little work done to the front suspension etc.

So offs i go to a local garage, tell him what i "think" is wrong, he gets her up on a ramp and he confirms my what i thought was the issue. But he told me before I let him at my car to put it thru MOT and get the list of issues for it first then he'll fix it up as the MOT centres equipment would give a better diagnosis than his own. Then he'll work away at it the issues.

Now does this sound alright? I'm a bit concerned that if a mechanic can't trust his own judgement maybe he aint that good?

Finding it very hard getting a good "local" mechanic as the last 2 i have went too have been absolute idiots.
There is little or no consistency in MOT's so the guy probably wants a list from whoever is planning to do it, so he can get it in shape to pass.

You always see garages advertise "MOT prep" and they do exactly that, only the garage thats actualy doing the MOT itself send little Johnny "text book" who then fails the bloody thing for a cracked rubber exhaust mount.............even thought the other 4 are in perfect condition!!
Old 19 June 2009, 10:21 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Guys,

In N.Ireland the MOT centres are official government locations.
It not Johnny's garage down the road