Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Circuit racing/Track Car?

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2009, 11:49 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Circuit racing/Track Car?

Does anyone on here do/have previously done any circuit racing?

Thinking about getting something to take on track (don't want to use my scoob for that ) and would really like to get into racing again but this time on the long circuits (previously done karting and short oval racing).

Done some searching and came across the Golf GTi racing and the MX5 racing. The cost of these cars are around my budget but maybe if I was to get something like this I will start with some track days then possibly get into the racing side of things a bit later (time and money permitting ).

Anyone got any recommendations or advice from previous experience with any kind of racing or types of car for track days?
Old 27 May 2009, 11:32 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I would have thought something like A Westie would be good. Fairly simple machine with excellent performance and handling. There will be a class for those that you could race in later on too.

It was so expensive that I had to build my own car from scratch to be able to afford it. It was great fun but hard work to prepare it for the next weekend each time. I loved it and stayed in sports racers and then a single seater for F Libre to finish off.

My sisters partner is very well off and does a lot in ex road going sports cars. He says it averages £2K cost per meeting for him in a season. He pays someone to prepare his cars though.

Good luck.

Les
Old 27 May 2009, 12:47 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

hmmm, Westie, now that would be fun! However, as you say, they dont come cheap (most seem over 10k!). There are some under that but there seems to be quite a few different models/specs etc and trying to find one that 'fits' into a race class might be tough?

Do they race them that often then, most race series I have been looking at seem to have 1 meeting a month if you’re lucky?

2k a meeting jesus thats some serious racing I'm just after some fun, have a good time, interest/hobby, something to look forward to once or twice a month (I.E. getting out and not sitting in front of the bloody TV!) and then maybe race it later on as you have a 'target' so to speak then, when racing, rather than just going round and round on a track day with no one to chase .

Last edited by stiscooby; 27 May 2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 27 May 2009, 12:53 PM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

You could save up a little and get a Caparo T1
Old 27 May 2009, 01:01 PM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Join the MR2 racing and Nippon Challenge racing!

We did MR2 racing for two years, and then started in the Nippon Challenge with a supercharged MR2 and now we're using an Impreza WRX.

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...-race-car.html

Look in the archives on Karen's website for details on her MR2 racing: Karen Phillips Racing

Check out the MR2 racing website: mr2racing.com and their forum: Toyota_MR2_Racing :: Index

Last edited by Squizz; 27 May 2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 27 May 2009, 01:42 PM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

Take a look at Legends. Don't be put off by the way the cars look because they're bloody quick and the racings very close.

Legends Racing UK - Home/News

Can't advise on cost as it was a few years ago and I was only spanner monkeying, but its fairly low budget. We left to make a move to the Cupra Cup but as is often the way it never quite happened.

Otherwise take a look at some of the 750 Motor Clubs offerings.
Old 27 May 2009, 02:21 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stiscooby
Does anyone on here do/have previously done any circuit racing?
Well I run a team and manage a driver........ but don't drive myself.

Both the MR2 and MX5 Championships are good value and people speak very highly of the Westfields too.

A lot does depend on your budget of course and then what else do you want to get out of it.

I think it would certainly be worth looking at a Ginetta G20. Ginetta themselves run two different championships for the cars, the cheaper being Club Ginetta which is as the name suggests club racing and then there is the Texaco Havoline G20 Championship which if it is too expensive to start with could be something to aim for in the future. The nice thing about the TH G20 Championship is that it is part of the British GT/F3 package so you get to race on all the best circuits in the UK on a great package with lots of other great racing going on at the same time. This year the championship is also going to Spa and racing there would obviously be a fantastic experience.

The cars are simple and relatively cheap and there are loads of used cars around as well which can easily be brought up to the latest spec.

More details can be found here Ginetta - Ginetta G20

I can't really give you more details than that as we don't run a G20 - we run a G50 and did the G50 Cup in 2008 and are running the car in the FIA European GT4 Championship this year - but happy to try and answer any more general racing related questions if I can.

HTH
Old 27 May 2009, 07:07 PM
Pumpkin
Scooby Senior

We race a single seater in the Monoposto championships. Providing you don't bend the car, its as cheap to race a single seater (Formula Ford, FVL, Form. Renault) as it is a hot hatch.

Race entries average £ 150 per race.
Old 29 May 2009, 10:42 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info guys.....

Ginetta's over budget for me really, I would have to sell the scoob to be able to get one then probably wouldn't have the budget to get/stay competitive.

Legends, hhmmm had forgot about those little beasts (seen them a few times at the local short oval track). Will look into those a bit more.

Failing that I think for my budget something like the GTi's or MX5 type racing is more my league!