Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Should Christie have had his hat-trick ?

Search this Thread

Old 04 March 2002, 12:47 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Dear all,

Not just Man-U bashing but did any of you lot think that they should have been beaten by Derby yesterday ?

Barthez may have had a few fingertips on the ball but was he in full control of it ?

Didn't think so... and neither did Ferguson for that matter. Mind you would he have come on telly and said that if the goal was allowed ?

What do you think ?
Old 04 March 2002, 12:56 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

It was a 50/50 ball, the goal should have stood. If that was a defender and he was about to kick it then it would had counted.
One rule for some.... The ref was probably too scared that Keane would have come over and slapped him about with a large handful of £50 notes or something...

Come on Liverpool, Arsenal and Newcastle, Don't let those jammy gits win the title!!!!!
Old 04 March 2002, 01:04 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

Jerry,
You're right - it probably was a goal. From one replay angle it looked like Barthez had the ball but a better angle was the one which showed it head on from the centre circle lookig at the goal. It's pretty clear from that view that Barthez didn't have full control of the bal. Still, refs aren't perfect and United aren't the only team to have benefitted from strange decisions.

RichB,
"Jammy gits" - so United are the only team to have benefitted from some strange reffing decisions are they??
Old 04 March 2002, 01:22 PM
Burt
Scooby Regular

How could Keane do anything, he wasn't there!!!! Godd Decision IMHO
Old 04 March 2002, 05:38 PM
alexf
Scooby Regular

The ref was cr@p throughout the match - both keepers should have been sent off and the goal should have stood. Having said that, when United played Nantes away a few weeks ago Van Nistelrooy made a similar challenge on their keeper. The result? Nantes were awarded a free kick and Van Nistelrooy was booked.

On reflection the draw was a fair result - Derby didn't deserve to loose but neither did we.
Old 04 March 2002, 07:03 PM
ANDYMCC
Scooby Regular

Of course he should have had his hat-trick, he had all his training at Nuneaton Boro before we sold him on to Derby.
Old 04 March 2002, 07:13 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

matt,
I was being serious - I'm a Red
Old 04 March 2002, 07:20 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

apologies seejay but still havent got an answer as to why oakes should have been sent off from alex f ??????
Old 04 March 2002, 07:28 PM
melpaul2002
Scooby Regular

The question is did he have both hands on the ball, the answer is yes.

Somebody please show me where the laws state he must have it in control also.

Two hands = dead ball.

However it is now over for Utd, The **** will play for a draw at OT and end up getting a win with Utd pushing forward near the end.

Game over.

Paul

Old 04 March 2002, 08:54 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Mattstant - I think hes refer to the punch he administered to van nistelrooy in the first 5 minutes. Weve all see those go both ways - I think the fact that it was so early in the game and that Ruud managed to head the ball towards goal before he got hit saved him from a booking/sending off/penalty. Likewise with Barthez towards the end so really it was evens on that front.

Was a good game and keeps the top and bottom of the table lively. Im hoping Bolton stay up as I have a tenner with 3 different mates on that one and £25 that Man Utd get further than Liverpool in Europe (that ones looking good at the mo).
Old 05 March 2002, 11:52 AM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

have to admit didnt see the punch on van Misselroy i can only assume it was a miss timed punch towards the ball.
but then again beckham got away with an horrendous tackle on the adge of the area again no action taken.
although i do find it very tiresome the way refs blow the whistle the instant anyone so much as breaths in the general direction of a keeper during a corner kick and then allow the keeper to climb all over a forward with no action taken .

Matt
Old 05 March 2002, 06:03 PM
alexf
Scooby Regular

Matt, sorry I've not replied earlier - not got internet access at work (so much for the perks of network admin [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] )

I was referring to the challenge Oakes made in the opening 5 mins against Ruud. Barthez should have gone off for the "challenge" (or should that be right jab )he made in the 2nd half and so should Oakes - some refs will give that sort of decision, others won't. That's football. Howey was lucky not to get booked for taking Giggs out on the edge of the area but at least he gave us a free kick .
Agree with you on the "whistle happy" refs that seem to infest the Premiership these days. It seems to be an unwritten rule that anyone going within 2 metres of the keeper at corners is automatically comitting a foul.

It makes me laugh to hear people say that refs are biased towards "big" clubs and United in particular; how the fu%k have we lost 7 league games and been knocked out of the FA cup then

Old 03 April 2002, 12:05 PM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

The goal should have stood.

BUT....Derby were lucky that the game wasn't all over by then.

Both Ole and Ruud left their shooting boots at home.

[Edited to point out that Keane wasn't at the game.]

[Edited by dharbige - 3/4/2002 1:06:58 PM]
Old 03 April 2002, 12:11 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

speaking as a derby fan who was there
Goal should have stood on the grounds that barthez had already pulled christie down once ,and then taken a swipe at him has he went past.
as regards goal keeper having his finger tips on the ball what about the infamous "header" from Nigel Clough who knocked the ball out of the arms of a keeper (i cant remember who)while it was tucked under the right arm while waiting to take a goal kick this goal was allowed to stand on the grounds that he didnt have both hands on the ball.

Still a cracking game though and i must have jumped 16 feet when christies disallowed goal went in.

Matt

[Edited by mattstant - 3/4/2002 7:08:26 PM]
Old 03 April 2002, 05:32 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Bit confused alex f what did Andy Oakes do to deserve being sent off???

[Edited by mattstant - 3/4/2002 6:36:23 PM]
Old 03 April 2002, 05:54 PM
seejay555
Scooby Regular

Wink

mattstant,
he had the temerity to pull off a string of top class saves so should have been off

[Edited by seejay555 - 3/4/2002 6:55:08 PM]
Old 03 April 2002, 06:06 PM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

yes i thought about adding that to the post Seejay but i was hoping for a genuine reply as i havent got eyes in the back off my head even though ive got a pretty good seat at the ground.
also how did beckham not get booked for that cynical slice at zavagno right in front of the ref ???(oh of course i already know the answer to that one)

[Edited by mattstant - 3/4/2002 7:07:27 PM]
Old 03 May 2002, 11:51 AM
mattstant
Scooby Regular

whoops double post

[Edited by mattstant - 3/5/2002 11:54:57 AM]