Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Paying for Parking

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2009, 01:04 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paying for Parking

I hate paying for parking, its up there with TV License fees for me, which is why my car is about half a mile away from where i work hidden up some alley way.

£5 a day parking FACK AFF!
Old 20 May 2009, 01:09 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope it is there when you get back to that AlleyWay ...... the £5 will look cheap compared to your £350 Policy Excess.
Old 20 May 2009, 01:13 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what difference would it make? Carparks wont pay out if your car gets broken into, stolen or damaged.

For 6months i parked my car in Castle Court carpark and amounted a serious amount of bodywork damage due to inconsiderate ********. 6months of parking on the street and no a single dent. plus as it stands right now i am £720 better off. so the £350 excess doesn's seem that bad
Old 20 May 2009, 01:14 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

In the town nearest my work a lot of the businesses there say they're struggling but then the council see fit to charge over £1 for an hours parking

You can find street parking sometimes but it's 45 mins max wait and often a real struggle to find at busy times. Puts me off going there if I want to grab something from the shops quickly during my lunch break.

Their loss
Old 20 May 2009, 01:14 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Agreed. It's always a pleasure to go to Corfu, France, Portugal and drive right down to the beach, reverse into a hedge, and spend a pleasant day not worrying if you will have been clamped when you return to the hire car.

In this country the yellow lines start about 5 miles from the beach and the council wants you to pay £5 / day for parking on some stony patch with no facilities The takings only cover the cost of hiring the cash collector, why bother?
Old 20 May 2009, 01:18 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
The takings only cover the cost of hiring the cash collector, why bother?
Can you point me to what gives you the idea that a Car Park Attendant earns £5 an hour TIMES the number of cars in his Car Park - what? maybe 250?

That's £1,250 a day ...... sign me up Scotty!!
Old 20 May 2009, 05:16 PM
my06 ppp silver
Scooby Regular

my soon to be father in law owns a car park and believe me they make a hell of a lot more than you would think!! he employs someone to operate it (counter system locked within barrier) and it holds approx 60 cars. £2 p/hr, open for 10 hrs a day is potentially when full (which it usually is) £1200 a day. i would not go so far as to say it would be this amount each day but i reckon about £500 a day is more like it (considering all the people having to pay "part thereof" the next hr).pay the attendant £65 a day and you are clearing £400 a day, at least £2g a week. so anyone with land in a town centre, clear it, tarmac it, buy a barrier system and a shed and hey presto more income than any property letting will get you. p.s. always declare what you have earned to the taxman as failure to do so is a criminal offence. lol.
Old 20 May 2009, 06:00 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
Can you point me to what gives you the idea that a Car Park Attendant earns £5 an hour TIMES the number of cars in his Car Park - what? maybe 250?

That's £1,250 a day ...... sign me up Scotty!!
£5 / day, not £5 / hour, less costs. I've seen car parks a lot smaller capacity than 250, and off season they're virtually empty. Thought you earned a lot more than £1250 / day anyway
Old 20 May 2009, 08:40 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

i hate paying for anything ...... thats why im a thief
Old 20 May 2009, 09:03 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
£5 / day, not £5 / hour, less costs. I've seen car parks a lot smaller capacity than 250, and off season they're virtually empty. Thought you earned a lot more than £1250 / day anyway
£5 a day - with 250 cars - is £1250 a day.

Yes, I may earn more ..... but, I'm not sitting in a Car Park all day
Old 21 May 2009, 10:53 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
I hate paying for parking, its up there with TV License fees for me, which is why my car is about half a mile away from where i work hidden up some alley way.

£5 a day parking FACK AFF!
I think the same way. I think car parking should be provided as a service. After all, you are either working in a place or shopping, either way you are making money for the area concerned.

Les
Old 21 May 2009, 11:55 AM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

im my town all the old free spaces have been turned into disabled spaces which are watched 24/7 by a camera. There are never more than two or three disabled drivers using these spaces at any one time, so the rest just go to waste!

Whats more annoying is that there has been a 15 percent increase in parking charges to pay for the new army of wardens that the council employ since the powers to fine were taken away from the police and given to the council.

These wardens are all tw@s, if a car has 4 minutes left on its ticket, they will WAIT next to the car until the four minutes is up, then its 60 quid fine time!

Most people i know either go to the next town where parking is free and not so rigorously enforced or go to the trafford centre, its now virtually impossible to nip into town for five minutes to pick something up without paying for parking, and the machines dont give change (which really ***** me off), so they make money from ripping us off with no change too!

Then the **** who runs this scheme appears on the front of the local rag trying to tell us its for our own good, and we should nt be annoyed with him or his army of wardens. What a ****, i love paying just to nip to the bank to put a cheque in, or cutting a post shop coffee short cos its 10 mins till the ticket runs out and some tw@ WILL have noticed and be stood next to it waiting to give me a 60 quid fine!

Then 6 months later he is on the front of the local rag agin wondering why macc is now a virtual ghost town, and most of the big nationals have fcuked off, and at least one local shop is closing a month.

No one wants to pay to nip to the shops, just like no one wants to pay to drive to work, when will these ******* get this into their heads?

Free parking equals more trade, simple!

Why not stop looking at parking as an income, **** the army of wardens off, and try to give the town life again!
Old 21 May 2009, 11:57 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I think the same way. I think car parking should be provided as a service. After all, you are either working in a place or shopping, either way you are making money for the area concerned.

Les
I'm not. Just got back from signing on and paid £0.60 for parkage. I wasn't shopping and certainly wasn't working
Old 21 May 2009, 12:15 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

My local town has initiated parking fees. We now have empty shops because apparently 33% less people go there to shop. Seems crazy to me. They did introduce a lower fee for just half an hour, but they've now binned that. So its not on to 'just nip into town' any more. So I'd rather travel a little further to shop. They also introduced parking charges for disabled to. But the council workers get to park for free...........
Old 21 May 2009, 12:24 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Had something through the post from my local tory woman (whoever she is)

saying she wants to scrap town centre charges round my way, whatevahhs!