Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

lowering of speed limits on rural roads.

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2009, 05:22 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face lowering of speed limits on rural roads.

I was talking with a Warickshire traffic policeman last weekend. We got on to the subject of the lowering of rural speed limits.
He told me that the County Traffic Police have to be consulted by the County Council on speed limit changes. Now they only have to be consulted and cannot veto proposals. They were consulted on 342 changes to speed limits. Mainly rural A and B roads from 60 down to 50 or 40 mph. The Police objected to all but two on the grounds that the roads all had good safety records, that it would affect traffic flow and would not be accepted by the driving public as there was no good reason to derate them. Although the Police objected the new lower speed limits were all pushed through. The Officer I was speaking with tells me that its a Government directive.

He says that the Traffic Division feels it will do more harm than good.

Last edited by r32; 13 May 2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 13 May 2009, 05:30 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not really a surprise. The police don't want/need the extra work and the money raised will only go to the government to pay for their expenses.
Old 13 May 2009, 05:42 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Aye, sounds like politics all at play again. The gov hates private transport, and sees it only as a way to generate more revenue. They also hate the fact that they have not managed to reduce congestion, and have been unable to find a way out of grid lock were heading into.

Their only current ideas are to consistently increase the cost of private transport, while also ensuring its less convenient/desriable to use. Journey times continue to increase, lower speed limits, less road repairs. More one way systems, more bus routes, more cycle lanes, more 3 lane roads reduced to 2. Overtaking areas double white lined, the list goes on an on. Oh, and of course they reduce the number of car parking spaces for you to use when you do get somewhere, and make sure that large parking fines are enforced should you not be able to find a space.

They just don't want us in our cars, and any measure that can be used to make life in a car less desirable, while not impacting on public transport will be used.

Only way to sort this is to get them out. But who to replace them with? Liberals are green mad, and the Conservatives are not that much better

Last edited by Luminous; 13 May 2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 13 May 2009, 06:10 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Driving back from the NEC today i decided to do the a roads instead of the M6 up to Cheshire - anyway on the A515 that runs from Litchfield to Buxton i cant remember recalling any part of it that was a national speed limit all i could see all the way home, including long hill just past Buxton were loads of 50mph signs exclaiming 'lower speed limit its there for a reason'

FFS dont feckin patronise me

As for a blanket 50 limit that was talked about recently - well i'm afraid a lot of A roads have already lowered this to 50mph.
Old 13 May 2009, 06:13 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Expect a rise on the cost of a speeding ticket next!
Old 14 May 2009, 11:50 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Not only all that, but its yet another piece of PC Plonking smoke and mirrors which they think will make us consider them responsible people!

Les
Old 14 May 2009, 01:16 PM
[-(o)-]
Scooby Regular

What happened to the Clarkson for PM campaign?

And I'd be happy for him to claim back the Kengestion Charge for his Lambo.
Old 14 May 2009, 01:18 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

I noticed today the main nuneaton road from Fillongly through to Meriden has new signs up about a pending adjuested speed limit, they have already reduced the once 60mph road to 40 for the most in the other direction towards nuneaton from fillongly.

it makes for an interesting drive home, I see people overtaking me doing 40 in that zone probably once or twice a week at least.