Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Getting irritated with Swine Flu now ...

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2009, 11:31 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting irritated with Swine Flu now ...

Some of the headlines on webpages are just blatently misleading: Pandemic 'could kill 750,000 in UK' - Yahoo! News UK

Why does the press want to stir up such a frenzy about something that hasn't claimed that many lives and doesn't look as though it will?

Steve
Old 01 May 2009, 11:38 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Mind you, our population could do with a bit of trimming...
Old 01 May 2009, 11:44 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boxst
Why does the press want to stir up such a frenzy about something that hasn't claimed that many lives and doesn't look as though it will?

Steve
Because they have scared people as much as they can about the recession and now need something new to whip the dumb portion (about 95% probably) of the population into a frenzy about.
Old 01 May 2009, 11:50 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I'm sure it'll stop soon, as Madeline is back! Madeleine's parents to launch appeal - Yahoo! News UK

I'm just off to remove Yahoo as my home page before I throw something at the monitor ..

Steve
Old 01 May 2009, 01:44 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could kill 750,000 in UK
Well, lets hope it does and that they are all journalists.
Old 01 May 2009, 01:56 PM
AnnieN
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
I'm not losing sleep over it either. And, yes, I'm getting bl**dy irritated by it as well. From BBC NEWS | Health | What scientists know about swine flu

" ... Preliminary analysis of the swine flu virus suggests it is a fairly mild strain, scientists say. It is believed that a further mutation would be needed in order for the H1N1 virus to cause the mass deaths that have been estimated by some ..... ".

Well, would you believe it. It doesn't kill (usually) so would have to mutate to do so in the numbers predicted. That's like saying, if you're out cycling and get hit in the face by a fly you're unlikely to get killed. But if that fly mutates to be the size of a double decker bus then all cyclists in the known civilised world will get wiped out ...!

Dave

That is so true, I like the report that it has now been proven that it has been passed on human to human - it's a flippin flu virus of course it has been!!!

Trending Topics

Old 01 May 2009, 04:23 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

Saw some professor answering questions on ITN news at lunchtime. All he really wanted to get across was that it shouldn't be referred to as swine fever as it was technically now called Type A influenza H1N1 or some bollicks.

When asked about what if it gets worse in terms of its ability to kill, he basically kind of said thats a big If. So you still have some of the media on one hand going its still this and this and now other so called 'kin experts are now saying something else.

Seems to me none of them have got a bloody clue. Must be good having a job where you can spout utter rubbish and speculation and no-one picks you up on it.
Old 01 May 2009, 04:31 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Fabioso
Seems to me none of them have got a bloody clue. Must be good having a job where you can spout utter rubbish and speculation and no-one picks you up on it.

Mate, that's consultancy
Old 01 May 2009, 10:33 PM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

Bloody Hell...It's a good think that Sars, Mad cow disease, Aids, Salmonella and Bird flu haven't decimated the country. Apart from heroin addiction and cholesterol poisoning I'm just about ok. Thank god for the balanced reporting going on about Swine fever...I mean flu.

I'll just concentrate on dying from the obesity timebomb.

Thank god we have the newspapers and TV and radio to inform us and make us buy their products to reassure us and a government that has our interests at heart.

I can't stand the thought of those cynical people who say that the government tries to frighten us to make us want to vote for them to protect us. That would be a bad thing and this Government want to help us all.

George Orwell
Old 01 May 2009, 11:25 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve

I was at an update meeting this morning and I know you are irritated with the media but the NHS has kicked off big style.

Command, control and communication centre is up and running, antivirals arrive soon, people who do the jabs available, plans are in place for 20% loss of staff.....

Shaun
Old 01 May 2009, 11:34 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Steve

I was at an update meeting this morning and I know you are irritated with the media but the NHS has kicked off big style.

Command, control and communication centre is up and running, antivirals arrive soon, people who do the jabs available, plans are in place for 20% loss of staff.....

Shaun
Yes, my company has started to send out contingency plan emails ...

I have less of a problem with the NHS being ready, lets get it right if *any* flu hits a large percentage of the population then it leaves the country in trouble for a few days but there will not be mass deaths. It isn't the black plague ...

Steve
Old 01 May 2009, 11:46 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve

Mass deaths might not be on the agenda but if my wife gets flu then I'm off work to look after things...... extrapolate that to the rest of the NHS and you get a 5 month black hole on routine treatment.

Nurses manning the kitchens to feed people which is a priority...

Then the same thing happens in December (second wave) and the NHS has a 2 year backlog

The NHS has to "lose" 15 billion this year..

My 13 year old will be paying the bill when he is 33

Shaun
Old 01 May 2009, 11:59 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

read the The Daily Mash

perrfect antidote
Old 02 May 2009, 01:45 AM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do I Have The Swine Flu?
Old 02 May 2009, 01:19 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They have made a pretty good fist of trying to bury bad news of course!

Les
Old 02 May 2009, 06:10 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

This is getting more funny by the day, I keep seeing interviews with people that have swine flu and they all look happy as Larry.
"No worse than a cold" one fella said, Not strong enough to pass through to many people, it will dilute another health expert claimed.....

What must the PM have been up to have to need this big a cover up..... Iraq hand over?
Old 02 May 2009, 08:44 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Wink

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Mind you, our population could do with a bit of trimming...
According to the CEO of Ryanair - It would only kill off Slum Dwelling Pikies.

I'm sold.