Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

(Not the usual) Mountain Bike question

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2009, 10:46 PM
Alg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (Not the usual) Mountain Bike question

This one's for the Engineers amongst you.
I was cycling up a hill the other day. Big ring on the front and small on the back and pedalling hard.
I realise that by going down to the middle ring on the front chainset it makes things easier but does it wear all the chainset parts slower or quicker or the same?

Is the force exerted into the bottom bracket bearings and around the gear and on the bearing surfaces of the chain, greater if chugging up hill in a high gear or in a lower gear?
I know it feels easier but it has the same (not inconsiderate) weight to move up the hill.
Would I cut down on wear (£££) by using a smaller gear? Does the amount of times the peddles rotate come into it?
Anyone? (Yes it's a boring question)
Old 14 April 2009, 11:09 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

If you're travelling at the same speed in either case, and all you do is change to a smaller sprocket at the front, then the forces on the back wheel remain the same - so no change in wear rate.

What you're doing by changing to a smaller chainring is using more lever action to pull on the chain. Work = force x distance, so for a given amount of work (ie. travelling at a given speed), you can either:

- move a greater force through a smaller distance (ie. large chainring, pedal slowly, feels like hard work), or
- move a smaller force through a larger distance (ie. smaller chainring, pedal faster but with less force).

Therefore, I don't think it makes any difference which gear you're in as to how fast the mechanism wears - or at least, the bits of the mechanism you're actually using. If you want to be sure of everything reaching the end of its useful life at the same time, ride in different gears to spread the load.
Old 15 April 2009, 08:00 AM
nixxon
Scooby Regular

Can't be much of a hill if you can cycle up it in the big ring! But yes, you will be placing extra loads on the cranks, BB, handlebars , frame and chain (not to mention your legs) if you carry on honking up hills like this. Try to keep to a cadence of 90 leg rotations per minute, or theabouts, to keep everything working sweetly. Carry on as you are, and you'll bust it sharpish.
Old 15 April 2009, 08:49 AM
Dark
Scooby Regular

You're also putting a HUGE strain on your knees and these will likely knacker far quicker than the groupset on your bike!
Old 15 April 2009, 08:56 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Cost more to replace too...
Old 15 April 2009, 09:15 AM
ChrisB

You should avoid big/big and small/small chain combinations as the chain line is at it's extremes. These gear ratios are usually found elsewhere on a 3x9 setup.
Old 15 April 2009, 09:17 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Spinning lower gears is more efficient - you need a highish "cadence" and need to "spin" rather than "push" the pedals.

I try and use my middle ring as often as I can - it's hardened steel, the rest are aluminium. Titanium next I reckon.