Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

E-bay relisting question.

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2009, 11:43 AM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question E-bay relisting question.

I am a little innocent swimming in a sea of sharks, so can someone give me a possible explanation for.......

Item is sold via auction, two bidders only, bid history shows bidder 1 had 3 bids but was outbid by bidder 2.
A couple of days later the item is up for auction again by the original seller. Same item, same seller, same starting price, same description etc. Everyone involved has good feedback but I know that this is not 100% reliable, so what is going on ?
I haven't asked the original seller yet but if it is a bit 'funny' then he/she will no doubt have a plausible excuse.

Cheers

JBL
Old 14 April 2009, 11:52 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jbl
I am a little innocent swimming in a sea of sharks, so can someone give me a possible explanation for.......

Item is sold via auction, two bidders only, bid history shows bidder 1 had 3 bids but was outbid by bidder 2.
A couple of days later the item is up for auction again by the original seller. Same item, same seller, same starting price, same description etc. Everyone involved has good feedback but I know that this is not 100% reliable, so what is going on ?
I haven't asked the original seller yet but if it is a bit 'funny' then he/she will no doubt have a plausible excuse.

Cheers

JBL
eBay UK: Help : FAQ : Shill Bidding
Old 14 April 2009, 12:14 PM
jbl
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers for the link.

So seller 'could' be using friends/family etc to put in false bids to raise the price in the hope that a genuine buyer will out bid?
I shall stay clear.

Thanks

JBL
Old 14 April 2009, 12:15 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Spot on.
Old 14 April 2009, 01:01 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Ebay don't care about this - in fact, it's in their interests as they get double fees.
Old 14 April 2009, 01:44 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Most likely the seller was using someone to push the price up for them, always possible the seller has a duplicate item though, it does happen with people who sell thousands of items on ebay, and ebay shop sellers
Old 14 April 2009, 02:54 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

It can be genuine too, for instance when its not met the reserve. But if the item definately sells then its a scam.

Trending Topics

Old 15 April 2009, 08:51 AM
4X4BOB
Scooby Regular

Could be genuine though. I bought an item off ebay and the seller turned out to be a 5min walk from my house. Within 30 mins of the auction ending I had got my item and we had both left feedback. Later that same day he relisted as he had several for sale. Totally genuine, but I must admit, if I didn't know the circumstances, it would look dodgy to me.
Old 15 April 2009, 09:29 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I've just relisted due to a mutual cancellation with a bidder with 100% feedback, they claimed the bid was made in error in fact they emailed me before the end of the auction asking me to cancel their bid but I got the email too late to do it. There can be honest reasons for a relist.