Death by ANPR?

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2009, 06:45 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Death by ANPR?

BBC NEWS | England | Tyne | Girl hit by police car at 90mph
Disproportionate looks a polite way of putting it.
Old 31 March 2009, 06:50 PM
Tam the bam
R.I.P.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Driving a police car without blues and twos in a residential area at 90 is as reckless and dangerous as driving any other car in the same area at that kinda speed, hope the scum gets life, although I'm sure he'll get a wee slap on the wrists as normal!
Old 31 March 2009, 06:58 PM
mykp
Scooby Regular

Lets hope he gets whats coming to him. 90 mph in a 30mph with no blue light or sirens is the same as me driving at that speed in a 30mph regardless of the officers training.

a local copper got his license revoked for crashing so if this idiot gets off then the law is 1/ an *** and 2/ looking after its own.

Traffic officer found guilty of careless driving - News - Macclesfield Express
Old 31 March 2009, 07:24 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Don't ANYONE hold their breath for justice: this lot are all in it together, police, cps, magistrates, crown court, all look after each other
Old 31 March 2009, 07:30 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

A lot of forces now (since 2008) operate a 20mph over the posted limit system for responding to incidents.

This is great at 3pm when schools kick out, but at 3am... when you are being robbed of the keys to your scoob...
Old 31 March 2009, 07:52 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

I think 90mph in a 30 even with blues and two's on is way too fast.
Some bobbies think by flicking a switch they are entitled to break every rule in the book. I often wonder when i see a police car ripping through town how big an emergency they are rushing to attend, is it worth the risk of hitting someone?
Nik.
Old 31 March 2009, 09:03 PM
jayb1970
Scooby Regular

They should throw the book at the ****.
Old 31 March 2009, 09:30 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
Don't ANYONE hold their breath for justice: this lot are all in it together, police, cps, magistrates, crown court, all look after each other

If your comment is to hold any water, can you explain why the officer is appearing at court? If they're all in it together, why have the CPS made the decision to prosecute?Why not wait until the jury deliver their verdict before you deliver yours?If you're correct in your assumption, then you can voice your opinion with some evidence. Or did you forget to include juries in your list of, this lot are in it together

Last edited by s70rjw; 31 March 2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 31 March 2009, 09:32 PM
skid11
Scooby Regular

I would let the jury decide since it was caught on CCTV etc...nice balanced thread though!
Old 31 March 2009, 09:43 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Looks like he has a 98% chance of getting off BBC NEWS | England | Essex | Essex Police top speeding survey. Was he testing a Vauxhall's high speed downforce at 170mph maybe?

Or maybe Dunkin was a closin'

D
Old 31 March 2009, 09:45 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I once witnessed a female officer drive through a red traffic light causing a collison between two other cars, and then a hundred yards up the road she stopped and turned off the "blues & twos".

Priceless !

dunx

P.S. It's quite likely she did it deliberately to stop him catching "one of the lads...." ?
Old 31 March 2009, 09:56 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i always assumed the blue lights ment "late for tea"
Old 31 March 2009, 11:19 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

We shall have to see what the defence has to say I guess.
More on topic, can anyone say how discriminating the ANPR systems are. For example, would it flag up the same for a lapsed insurance as it would for a car wanted in connection with say, a serious crime?
Old 01 April 2009, 12:16 AM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Maybe he will get what is coming to him. A traffic cop fairly local to me was recently jailed when he lost control of his car in heavy rain and ploughed into some trees.

He was answering a call but then told to stand down. He continued along the M4 reaching 120mph before dropping to 115mph. He then aquaplaned off the motorway and wrote the car off. Judge jailed him for 5 months if I recall correctly. This guy has done a lot worse. Hope he goes down for a long, long time.

Just goes to show how good so called 'police judgement' is if you ask me.

Last edited by MrRA; 01 April 2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 01 April 2009, 12:32 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cster
We shall have to see what the defence has to say I guess.
More on topic, can anyone say how discriminating the ANPR systems are. For example, would it flag up the same for a lapsed insurance as it would for a car wanted in connection with say, a serious crime?
It doesn't show any discretion as it's just a computer program scanning and referencing a database. It flags up a positive hit on the number plate in connection with any data relating to that vehicle.

When police constable Sharon Beshenivsky was shot and killed during a robbery in Bradford, the ANPR system and was able to identify the getaway car and track its movements, leading to the arrest of six suspects.

ANPR in the UK: Police-enforced ANPR in the UK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by ScoobyWon't; 01 April 2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old 01 April 2009, 12:32 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Open and shut case by the sounds of it. Fingers crossed justice is done.
Old 01 April 2009, 12:45 AM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

The feds round here have Scoobs, go out in the evening and you'll see them going like *****, never with the blue lights on! In fact the other night I was approaching a roundabout and said Scoob came the other way off the roundabout, I braced for impact! Bear in mind I've been in the motor trade for 16 years and I go watching rally cars, a lot! I thought he was off and to this day I'm not sure how he got round, again though, no blue lights, no sirens!

TBH, I hope this guy gets strung up, 90 in a 30 isn't necessary, even with lights and sirens!

Bob, not policeist, I have mates who are coppers, I just don't like folk taking the pith.
Old 01 April 2009, 01:36 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dunx
I once witnessed a female officer drive through a red traffic light causing a collison between two other cars, and then a hundred yards up the road she stopped and turned off the "blues & twos".

Priceless !

dunx

P.S. It's quite likely she did it deliberately to stop him catching "one of the lads...." ?
If you are going to an emergency, but then get cancelled on route - then they get turned off. It happens a lot
Old 01 April 2009, 01:45 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Doing high speeds on controlled roads can be done safely, it depends on the condition of the road and its surroundings. If you wants us there in a hurry or need us to chase after your scoob as it hurtles 120mph down the road - i hope you will understand then when we say that we can only drive at 50 mph. And you don't mind being woken up repeatidly in the middle of the night with sirens blasting all around.

You don't always have to activate blue and twos on going to emergencies, as burglars etc can here you coming - blue lights also reflect off everything at night. And the '20mph over the limit' just isn't feesible as most members of the public drive at that speed anyway.
Old 01 April 2009, 01:56 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nik52wrx
I think 90mph in a 30 even with blues and two's on is way too fast.
Some bobbies think by flicking a switch they are entitled to break every rule in the book. I often wonder when i see a police car ripping through town how big an emergency they are rushing to attend, is it worth the risk of hitting someone?
Nik.
You don't know what it is until you arrive there. I always 'drive to arrive' and never push it past the limit I’m not comfortable with. We get very limited information about the calls we are going to as most are phoned in by very stressed and panicking people. From about 9 years service I have only been to a handful of calls where every second counted (2 of which people have died) - but you can never tell what you are going to arrive at, so you try and get there as quick as you can.
Old 01 April 2009, 07:00 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
It doesn't show any discretion as it's just a computer program scanning and referencing a database. It flags up a positive hit on the number plate in connection with any data relating to that vehicle.

When police constable Sharon Beshenivsky was shot and killed during a robbery in Bradford, the ANPR system and was able to identify the getaway car and track its movements, leading to the arrest of six suspects.

ANPR in the UK: Police-enforced ANPR in the UK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That makes interesting reading!
Cheers.
Old 01 April 2009, 10:05 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s70rjw
If your comment is to hold any water, can you explain why the officer is appearing at court? If they're all in it together, why have the CPS made the decision to prosecute?Why not wait until the jury deliver their verdict before you deliver yours?If you're correct in your assumption, then you can voice your opinion with some evidence. Or did you forget to include juries in your list of, this lot are in it together
Jury? Won't matter mate. Just see what SENTENCE is handed down..........
Old 01 April 2009, 07:22 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Bob, not policeist, I have mates who are coppers, I just don't like folk taking the pith.[/quote]

Quite agree. No one is above the law. Fortunately these incidents are rare, the fact it is news is testament to that. If the bloke is convicted his sentence should reflect the crime. The last high profile case, the driver who killed a family of six, received 3 years. Life, it seems in the UK, is cheap. Bob
Old 01 April 2009, 07:49 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felix.
You don't know what it is until you arrive there. I always 'drive to arrive' and never push it past the limit I’m not comfortable with. We get very limited information about the calls we are going to as most are phoned in by very stressed and panicking people. From about 9 years service I have only been to a handful of calls where every second counted (2 of which people have died) - but you can never tell what you are going to arrive at, so you try and get there as quick as you can.
I think we need to differentiate between attending a scene where a crime is being commited, or pursuing another vehicle to establish what crime has been commited . You don't need to be travelling at 90mph to get to a fixed location.
Old 01 April 2009, 08:31 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Felix.
Doing high speeds on controlled roads can be done safely, it depends on the condition of the road and its surroundings. .
I wish some of the ones near to where my mum lived would take the above on board!!!

its a residential road, which from 3pm onwards has cars parked down one side, the other lane is suitable for single file traffic & or two cars, if they both take it easy (if a bus comes down this section of road, then no one gets past!!)

To quote a hackneyed phrase " what would you do if a child ran out from behind a parked car?"

At the speeds they come down the road, they would have driven over any poor soul who stepped out...

Escape route? not a chance, they'd either go into a stationary line of parked cars, or straight through someones front garden.

Mart
Old 01 April 2009, 09:04 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Why do the police need to be using 'interceptors'??? This just seems to be causing an escalation in pursuit speeds and the criminals wanting faster getaway cars. This in turn just feeds the adrenalin rush on both sides with the police justifying it by saying we are only doing our job.

Maybe instead of investing the tax payers money in Evo's & Scooby's they should be looking for more passive methods of tracking the criminals?
Old 01 April 2009, 09:23 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobeenut
Maybe instead of investing the tax payers money in Evo's & Scooby's they should be looking for more passive methods of tracking the criminals?
How about you stop buying Evo's & Sccoby's (and other high performance car) and we all just drive diesel Astra's etc? If the public don't have fast cars, then the police don't need them either.
Old 01 April 2009, 09:36 PM
skid11
Scooby Regular

Police around here only have astra diesels.The fastest traffic car is a 330d BMW and they are very rare.
Which forces have Evos and Scoobys then?(other than for tv progammes!)
Any ideas for more passive methods???
Old 01 April 2009, 09:39 PM
scoobeenut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
How about you stop buying Evo's & Sccoby's (and other high performance car) and we all just drive diesel Astra's etc? If the public don't have fast cars, then the police don't need them either.
I'm not a criminal or breaking the law by owning my scooby. If I was breaking the law it doesn't require a high speed pursuit to catch me, the speed cams, ANPR, red light cams, cctv, unmarked cars etc would be catching me.
Old 01 April 2009, 09:45 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobeenut
I'm not a criminal or breaking the law by owning my scooby. If I was breaking the law it doesn't require a high speed pursuit to catch me, the speed cams, ANPR, red light cams, cctv, unmarked cars etc would be catching me.
A speed camera will stop you holding up a bank?

Or if you were the getaway driver for a bank job, would you stop for all red lights and travel through speed traps below the speed limit?

The police aren't breaking any laws by having a scooby either, marked or unmarked...

Quick Reply: Death by ANPR?