Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Charity goods donations

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2009, 09:15 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Charity goods donations

Does anyone know which charities collect goods as Oxfam seem to want people to take items to them.
We're moving house so have furniture, eleccy goods, books, dvds, records, etc - just want rid so thought we'd give them to a charity and was hoping they'd collect them in a van?
Old 26 March 2009, 10:57 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Some Salvation Army places collect, but you'd have to phone and check. Mainly intended for furniture, but if you have some and they do collect, I assume the rest is OK.

M
Old 27 March 2009, 12:00 AM
Stephb1986
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think age concern is another that collects but ring to make sure

Steph xx

p.s wild thought if all that fails why not put them on your local freecycle people come and collect it that way

Last edited by Stephb1986; 27 March 2009 at 12:01 AM.
Old 27 March 2009, 12:28 AM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Very few have P.A.T. testing gear, so won't want electrical equipment, as they are liable for injury cause blah,blah,blah. A numpty I worked with had a partner who cherry-picked all the TV's, DVD players, etc. As they couldn't put them in the shop !

HTH

dunx
Old 27 March 2009, 01:10 AM
Lisawrx

You could just try contacting a few local charities, you never know, some maybe happy to come get stuff if it is offered even if they don't often collect. I don't know enough about places to suggest any for sure.

Other than that, your local council may have some scheme in place, I have heard of councils selling stuff really cheap to people setting up in council homes. It helps someone possibly with little money to start out with, have some stuff to get them set up. Could be worth a thought.
Old 27 March 2009, 10:51 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Be careful, Those bags you get outside your front door, They are often left by business pretending to be charities.
If you look at the bottom of the bag/flyer you will see a VAT number where a charity number should be.

I had the same problem with some heavy items when we moved, I ended up selling the lot on loot and sending the cash to the RSPCA, seemed to be less effort then getting someone to collect it for a charity.
Old 27 March 2009, 12:25 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
You could just try contacting a few local charities, you never know, some maybe happy to come get stuff if it is offered even if they don't often collect. I don't know enough about places to suggest any for sure.
I think that's the best option. I found the local ones were very happy to come and collect - in fact one place sent a van minutes after I phoned them up, unlike the national charities who either said a blunt 'no' or insisted that I would have to wait until they were officially collecting in our area. Just look up charity shops in the Yellow Pages.
Old 27 March 2009, 01:08 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

British Heart Foundation used to collect all sorts. They would leave a regular bag. But they would also collect on call, if needed.

I think the best idea is to sit with Yellow Pages, and ring around. Things are changing fast with credit crunch, and all charities are trying to save where they can, by cutting the costs of collection etc.
Old 27 March 2009, 02:27 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Yes we had a plastic bag on the doorstep to support breast cancer. The smallprint mentioned "... supporting Romanian women ...". Not illegal, but I wonder how much money actually reaches the Romanian hostel. Charity begins at home.
Old 28 March 2009, 08:10 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

thanks for the replies - we've got age concern comming to collect late next week (soonest they can collect) - they can't take leccy items either