Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Has anybody contested a NIP for red lights on safety grounds and won?

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2009, 02:21 AM
m1cks
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anybody contested a NIP for red lights on safety grounds and won?

As above. Has anybody been flashed by a red light camera and contested it on the grounds that it was safer to continue than to stop? What was the outcome?
Old 22 March 2009, 05:37 AM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

You should be stopping when you see the amber light, so there should be no chance of you going through on red
Old 22 March 2009, 08:57 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard of people pulling through a red light to let the emergency services through only to be flashed and get a NIP. I've heard that these people have lost when they contested it. Crazy I know, but it doesn't much hope for you.
Old 22 March 2009, 09:38 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
I've heard of people pulling through a red light to let the emergency services through only to be flashed and get a NIP. I've heard that these people have lost when they contested it. Crazy I know, but it doesn't much hope for you.
I have heard the opposite..
Old 22 March 2009, 11:38 AM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

I got done by one recently - most annoying as it was a case of some fat idiot in a £500 4x4 been dangerously tailgaing me as I did not want to go over the speed limit and it was a case of stopping at the lights and getting my car rear ended by the above fat idiot or running the red light. I took the red light option and got flashed.
As I had my 1 year old nephew in the rear and I watched the 4x4 lock up and only stop with its wheels well over the white line. I think I choose both safest and cost effective option.
I did complain but it got me no where , but I luckily saw the 4x4 a week later doing pretty much the same to another driver. Through a friend I got their reg and address, lets just say the car no longer exists and it was not insured either !

Richard
Old 22 March 2009, 11:58 AM
miff13
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by m1cks
As above. Has anybody been flashed by a red light camera and contested it on the grounds that it was safer to continue than to stop? What was the outcome?
I believe it's classed as an absolute offence, i.e there can be no mitigating circumstances. I have also heard of people being fined and points applied when going through red lights to get out of the way of the emergency services on a blue light run.
Old 22 March 2009, 12:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is possible to use the "safer to continue" clause if you go through the lights while still at amber before red. If the lights are red, you are considered to have been able to stop if you were travelling at the appropriate speed at the time.

If someone is that close to you, the only way is to slow down earlier as you approach the lights of course, in which case he has a better chance of stopping without hitting you. I think they call it "defensive driving"! He was driving very badly to tailgate you of course.

Les
Old 22 March 2009, 12:46 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

There is at least a second after the lights go to red before it will flash though.
Old 22 March 2009, 02:37 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As soon as you pass the sensor in the road I imagine.

Les
Old 22 March 2009, 02:50 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

There is a set of lights on the A406 that I use every day, fitted with a traffic light camera.

People seem to jump these every time I'm sat at them, or just rolling up to them, if they jump them half a second/1 second after they go red no flash, but anymore and it seems to trigger it.