Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

contractors closing roads????

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2009, 09:16 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default contractors closing roads????

can anyone tell me if contractors can close a road off there own back without notification of people living near by that may be affected?

there is work on the main road at end of my street and everytime a wagon comes they close the road for 15 mins and send all the cars doen my street and then round and back up the other street. now these streets aint wide enough for the shear amount of traffic they keep sending down and property or someone is going to get hurt...... now can they do this?
Old 05 March 2009, 09:20 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

They MUST ask permission from the local council before doing any work on any of the roads.
It's then up to the Council to inform people of the forthcoming disruption.

I would suggest contacting the Streetworks department of your local Council to let them know what is happening, so it early enough and they may be able to get someone down to see the problem. It's likely they DIDN'T mention the road blocks when asking for the okay.
Old 05 March 2009, 09:29 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

thank u very much
Old 05 March 2009, 09:29 AM
POC
Scooby Regular

15mins fella, let the guys get their work done. I gather from your post that they are not shutting the road but just blocking it when they have a delivery? They wont be there forever.

I often have to block roads to get my lorries in, 9/10 people are patient and understand, but you always seem to get the one bad egg that has to kick up a fuss/moan/cant wait a few mins. They guys are just there to earn their crust to pay their morgages!
Old 05 March 2009, 09:31 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

If they were fixing a gas leak near my house, I wouldn't care how they went about it - As long as they fixed it!

Don't forget, works have to take place. How do you suggest they go about it? Maybe night work? Or they could hire a huge crane and park it half a mile away and lift the waste away. That should bung another few hundred pounds a month on your utility bills.
Old 05 March 2009, 11:47 AM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

not being funny but there are loads of kids playing on both streets they have decided to use and they are diverting traffic from a very fast main road into very small roads with cars both sides. as it is the drivers of cars vans and lorrys seem to think this little road can be attacked at the same speed as the main road...... so u want me to wait until one of my kids is knocked down or a neighbours?
i understand they have a job to do but if there putting my kids health at risk and my property should i just sit there and think "its only 15 minutes" ? this is 15 minutes every 30/40 minutes and if they had submitted correct plans they could of put the tippers on the same part of road as the works instead of blocking the road.

i dont give a monkeys about queing in the traffic and i never moan about nothing nornally but this is out of order.
Old 05 March 2009, 01:02 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

if diversions are on then council will have to have approved the blockage and diversion route
Old 05 March 2009, 02:17 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

spoke to council and they knew nothing about them closing roads and diverting traffic, they are sending someone up to have a word but they did say the plan the contractors had submitted was changed due to something they discovered.
Old 05 March 2009, 03:02 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Why are your kids playing on the road? Or are the cars driving up the path? If your that worried bring your kids in for one day so they can complete there job then normality will resume
Old 05 March 2009, 03:04 PM
phil_wrx
Scooby Regular

they dont play on road but u never know and its gonna be going on for ages not one day
Old 05 March 2009, 03:13 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Eel that case stick them on a 5 meter leash worked for me

Disclaimer: that was a joke I don't condone child cruelty
Old 06 March 2009, 07:52 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

I come across people like this all the time at work. TBH, they're a right PITA.

OP, do you want running water, electricity, gas and sewage services at your house? If so, stop bloody moaning.

Everyone 'wants' everything, but not at their expense nowadays. Doesn't mater if it disrupts someone else though, that'll be OK.

Hopefully the council will make them divert the traffic down someone else's road, or extend the roads works in front of another house so they can fit in the lorry. TBH, can't see why they didn't do this in the first place. What a flaming cheek, not realising that extra works needed doing. You'd have thought they'd have used their x-ray vision to inspect the ground before hand.
Old 06 March 2009, 08:14 AM
spireite
BANNED

I'm sure they are not closing the road off just to cause disruption ,i bet if you damaged your car running over a pot hole you would be posting about it here .Why not just let them get on with their work the less hassle you cause them the quicker they'll get it finished (unless its the council) .