Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Vulcan XH558 to be grounded?!..

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2009, 10:41 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vulcan XH558 to be grounded?!..

Just 5 days to save the Vulcan: Desperate race to raise £1⁄2m or historic British bomber will be grounded for ever | Mail Online

Sounds like they're running out of funds to keep it air-worthy

Would be sad if this is the case - I assumed this would be the star attraction at all the UK's major air-shows this year?!
Old 01 March 2009, 10:49 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Perhaps the DM can pay the sponsorship and get it to fly around the country dropping The Daily Mail to the masses!

Nat21 had some interesting comments on this subject a week or so ago, i think a lot of people (me included) woant to see it fly, just how well the efforts are managed and the money spent by he trust and how itr communicates with those who choose to donate may be part of the problem.

'Credit Crunch' will not be helping either - i blame Brown!
Old 01 March 2009, 11:03 AM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

What happens on the 6th day?
Old 01 March 2009, 11:06 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stainy
Don't know - but the seventh shall be one of rest.
Old 01 March 2009, 11:26 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

As I understand it, when it had finished its air display flying it was to go to Duxford as a ground exhibit. That was forecast to happen in anything up to 15 years time however. This was part of the deal with the Lottery grant.

I cannot see this bunch of PC plonkers supporting it since they only find the military any good for sending out to illegal wars or those of no significant likelihood of success, but as long as they say how wonderful they are it is all fine if they don't have to support them properly in the field or when they return home wounded.

I still wonder how they were prepared to send our soldiers out to Iraq seriously under equipped with protection against radiation or chemical and biological warfare when they were telling us that Saddam had WMD! What did they really know? They are still having to patrol in thin skinned vehicles in Afghanistan.

It is a great shame that after all that work over so many years that they are not prepared to support such an outstanding machine which was such a big factor in this country's defence during the Cold War. They could easily include it in the Battle of Britain Memorial flight for a fraction of the cash that they just fritter away every day.

Les
Old 01 March 2009, 11:45 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Why would it be grounded if it dosent get the funds?

its like saying if your car dosent get an mot, then its never going on the road again...

half a mill is small change given the amount of crap the lottery has funded to date.

makes my blood boil....

Mart
Old 01 March 2009, 12:02 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

I loved seeing this fly, and signed up for the club and made donations. Obviously a drop in the ocean though as even with a lot of public support, this bird's still going to need major sponsorship. Maybe Branson would keep it in the air if they painted the Virgin logo on the tail?
Old 01 March 2009, 12:09 PM
Funkii Munkii
Pontificating

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nat21
No money = no maintenance = grounded.

Would it lose it's airworthyness cert after a period and then be too costly to get it back ?

Last edited by Funkii Munkii; 01 March 2009 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01 March 2009, 12:15 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
No money = no maintenance = grounded.
The thing is I've would've thought that after the initial £5million was spent to get her airworthy, that all the costs associated with running and keep airworthy would be covered by money received from doing airshows?

The level of interest in this plane is clearly significant, so it would be a big attraction at airshows all over the country
Old 02 March 2009, 10:52 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii
Would it lose it's airworthyness cert after a period and then be too costly to get it back ?
Yes it would and with no income from air displays it could not be kept airworthy.

Les
Old 02 March 2009, 11:04 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The major factor in the Vulcan's success during the Cold War was that it was the only one of the V bombers to be strongly enough built to be able to be used as a low level attack bomber. High level attack was ruled out when the Soviets increased their surface to air capability at higher levels. This became clear when Gary Powers was shot down in his U2.

The Vulcan was able to withstand the high fatigue caused by air turbulence for over ten years at low level and also had the range to attack targets deep inside the Eastern Bloc. It was able to reach a target at very low level in the dark if necessary and in very bad weather which is why it was feared by the Eastern Bloc until the day it was taken out of service. They did not have a good enough capability at low level to defend themselves against the aircraft.

This is why it was such a valuable part of our home defence and it should be recognised as such by keeping 558 in the air.

Les
Old 02 March 2009, 06:37 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Stainy
Old 03 March 2009, 08:58 AM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Leslie
They could easily include it in the Battle of Britain Memorial flight for a fraction of the cash that they just fritter away every day.

Les
I've said it before, but I'd like to see the BoBMF scrapped and replaced with the RAFMF. We would get to see some mighty fine aircraft in the air again, and in the grand scheme of things, it would cost sweet FA.

Last edited by ^Qwerty^; 03 March 2009 at 08:59 AM.