Nationwide and their internet banking Gizmo

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2009, 11:07 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nationwide and their internet banking Gizmo

>moan alert<

You used to need to remember three pieces of very verified information to log on to your internet banking. However, NO MORE!

Nationwde internet banking have sent me a 'calculator' with a card-hole in the top. This means that whenever you need to pay a bill or transfer cash between accounts online it needs you to pop a specific cashcard into this 'calculator', enter your PIN, name the 8 wives of Henry the 8th and then cross your 128 bit encrypted fingers as you tap in a verification code...

Often (and quite bizarrely ) I don't have this 'calculator widget' or my Visa debit cash card with me during lunch, at a job, on-site, but I still need to pay a bill or two during my lunch, and online, as before....

I could moan about this new frustration more (more than I have done to Nationwide) but, anyone else find this 'widget' measure KILLS the whole absolute concept of internet banking?

D (soon to be writing cheques and posting them by widgetless carrier pigeon )

Last edited by Diesel; 28 January 2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 28 January 2009, 11:11 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Are you sure that with Nationwide you have to use the widget everytime you make a payment and not just to set-up a new payee for the first time?
Old 28 January 2009, 11:17 PM
pitcha44
Scooby Regular

the wife got 1 from RBS when she wanted to pay her RBS credit card online and sure enough she now pays it over the phone. how much are we payin to have them send these little crap things out that no one wants to use
Old 28 January 2009, 11:23 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Are you sure that with Nationwide you have to use the widget everytime you make a payment and not just to set-up a new payee for the first time?
Most times mate yes - even to pay this years' tax with last years' longsince set up details , and even to pay their own b credit card tonight (which I failed to do as my cash card is safe in the safe at work)...

PITA!!!

D
Old 28 January 2009, 11:24 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Nat - good teeth, no widget. Life or Riley!!!

D
Old 28 January 2009, 11:30 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Diesel
Most times mate yes - even to pay this years' tax with last years' longsince set up details , and even to pay their own b credit card tonight (which I failed to do as my cash card is safe in the safe at work)...

PITA!!!

D
That is shíte then. I only need to use my Natwest widget once to set up and Bob's your transvetite long lost cousin. Oh and any pre-existing payees before the onset of this stupid idea are fine too.

Trending Topics

Old 28 January 2009, 11:43 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

It does seem more 'secure' as opposed to my Abbey business acct - any keylogger could probly hack this...but it does render Nationwide online rather useless. I travel a lot and dont have room for a widget in my wallet!!!

They should have used the same 'genius' measure as 'non keylog proof' Abbey - they just changed all my memorised passwords and access codes so as they HAVE to be written down in order to remember them. BRILLIANT guys

INSIST on a a password/logon/RegNo that has to be committed to a Post It - IT geniuses!!!

D
Old 28 January 2009, 11:54 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Havent logged into my nationwide account online since they sent me this mickey mouse piece of crap.
Caught me out the first time when I logged in while overseas in order to transfer money from my main account to my my other account.... turns out the stupid POS had arrived while I was away, and there was 'nothing they could do' over the phone when I called them.
Wouldnt be so bad if nationwide credit cards- LIKE EVERY OTHER C/CARD IN THE BLOODY WORLD- would accept debit card payments over the phone!!!!!!!!!!!! Utter stupidity.
Now I just do it in branch, and if im not here or its not convenient, f**k them, they can wait.

My american express account online (8 cards linked to it- with significant credit limits) just requires a user name and password- no stupid codes & pieces of info, and no silly handset.
Just a bit of sense protecting your username, and remembering your password.
Not rocket science is it?

Last edited by Freak; 29 January 2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 29 January 2009, 12:01 AM
Odds on
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pitcha44
the wife got 1 from RBS when she wanted to pay her RBS credit card online and sure enough she now pays it over the phone. how much are we payin to have them send these little crap things out that no one wants to use
Since RBS sent me 2 of them (1 for the company, 1 for personal account ), I found I started using the telephone banking a whole lot more. In fact, I never used it before they sent them to me.

Then there's the fact that I've moved the company account to another bank because of this and them moving my business manager 30miles away, kind of seems to have been a poor move by RBS. (Especially when I move the personal one as well.)

Security = Good. Pissing your customers off and making their life a PITA = Bad.
Old 29 January 2009, 12:06 AM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Nationwide account is great if you work abroad, unless you've forgotten this gadget I guess it works in a similar way to those RSA Secure things which I believe are well thought of in terms of security. They're easy to carry on a keyring too. It's a shame Nationwide didn't actually make this thing a calculator too as I could convince myself it was a handy thing to carry about then perhaps.
Old 29 January 2009, 12:19 AM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

I have had these p*ssing things for a while on my business accounts. I do all my internet banking by phone now. And just by reading that sentence you can see how effective the widgets are.
Old 29 January 2009, 07:05 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Ive got one for my Natwest Online Banking and dont need to use it other than to setup a new payee. I can see the downside if you are constantly sending money to different people and from the feedback here doesnt seem they thought it through that well.

Simon
Old 29 January 2009, 07:19 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

FIRSTDIRECT

No stupid gadgets
Old 29 January 2009, 09:02 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I have a Nationwide account and never had to use this gadget. I got one when I first set the account up and used online banking to move money around etc without it
Old 29 January 2009, 09:08 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

My parents bank with Barclays and also have one of these annoying devices. It drives my Dad mad having to remember to take it everywhere.
Old 29 January 2009, 09:11 AM
Phantom_Flan_Flinger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pitcha44
As has been mentioned above for NatWest accounts, it's the same for RBS. You only need to use the card reader once and that's to initially set-up a new payment or instruction.

Dave.
Old 29 January 2009, 09:49 AM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

I'm sure you'd whinge and moan more if all your cash was taken out of your account.....you'd probably blame your bank for not being secure enough.

I have a Nationwide account and have to use the gadget once ina while....it's no big deal..okay it takes me a few seconds more but who cares if my account is more secure.
Old 29 January 2009, 10:09 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Iv got one of these things for the natwest account and need to use it to set up a new payee , but not every time i need to pay them lol

if you had to do that im not sure id bother at all

- and i was more than half thinking of opening up a nationwide acct. wont bother now
Old 29 January 2009, 10:30 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I'm with Barclays and even need the calculator thing to log in to my account details. You can by pass it but then there isn't much you can do other than view you balance. As mentioned it is also required to make new payments. I have heard that if you're travelling you can generate a few log-in codes in advance and take them with you (presumably written down ) to use while you're away.

On the one hand I do find it a PITA but it does now mean my on-line banking is very secure. My brother works in this field and says authentication via the calculator thingy is very hard to hack, unless of course someone has stolen your card, and beaten you PIN out of you
Old 29 January 2009, 11:22 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Read about this when logging into Barclays online but have never been sent one, they sound like a right bag of ****.

if you loose them do they send out new ones?

if everybody kept loosing them they might knock it all on the head due to cost?
Old 29 January 2009, 01:01 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

Is it meant primarily to cure 'phishing' (as well as normal online transfers)? D
Old 29 January 2009, 05:29 PM
urdad
Scooby Regular

Nationwide sent me 3

I needed to use my card but was informed I needed this 'ting.
I phoned(a bit old fashioned I know ) and told them I never received one,over the course of the next 10 days I received 3.

I may sell them on Ebay,just trying to find what to call them
Old 29 January 2009, 06:51 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I was just about to post asking about alternative banks. I'm leaving RBS because of this.

Which banks don't use them? HSBC? LLoysd TSB?
Old 29 January 2009, 10:31 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Yes it is a PITA, especially with a joint account since you can only use one card, so even if you had load of these things dotted around work, house, car etc - one of you can't bank online!

Oh and I have to use my Nationwide one for ****ing everything - £5 min payment to CC? yep use the ****ing thing, arrgh.....
Old 30 January 2009, 12:09 AM
chrisowe
Scooby Regular

Now I know why the banks are so much in debt, its costing them so much money sending these things out to the people that lose them.
Old 30 January 2009, 12:19 AM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
It's just like RSA SecurID tabs i think. I used to have them for work and lost dozens of them

Massive PITA.

I use Nationwide internet banking, i hope i don't get sent one.
Now those were a PITA, especially if you typed the code just before it changed.