Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

You could lose your licence or passport or both!

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2009, 03:21 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You could lose your licence or passport or both!

Without it going to court civil servants will be able to cancel your driving licence or passport, initially its intended for absent fathers who wont support their offspring. But the scope is likely to be wide in both terms of who will be allowed to take your documents away and for what reasons. As with the wide use of the terrorist legislation passed earlier. So put your bin out early, leave the lid up etc etc and you may not be able travel or drive.
Another quiet labour change hidden away in other legislation. They also intend to void the data protection act, second reading on the 26th of Jan....
Old 25 January 2009, 03:37 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It beggars belief, doesnt it? Your driving licence can be revoked now as punishment in a criminal court too! The notion that you have a right to drive, rather than that it is a state authorised priviledge seem to have been lost on the fools.
Old 25 January 2009, 04:10 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Link?

M
Old 25 January 2009, 04:16 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Absent fathers who refuse to pay child support will lose their passports under 'draconian' new plans

mb
Old 25 January 2009, 04:55 PM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

Nothing new, CSA have allegedly had the powers, or at the very least threatened it for quite a few years
Old 25 January 2009, 05:35 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Good idea- next it will be that anyone who criticises Gordon Brown or fails to vote Labour will also have their passport and driving licence taken away.

Actually, it's not a problem- you won't need them in the Galag that the Great Dictator has planned for you.
Old 25 January 2009, 05:44 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I cannot wait for the next election!! I just hope the other parties seize on stuff like this, we will have Labour out no problem
Old 25 January 2009, 06:03 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Good idea- next it will be that anyone who criticises Gordon Brown or fails to vote Labour will also have their passport and driving licence taken away.

Actually, it's not a problem- you won't need them in the Galag that the Great Dictator has planned for you.

russian gulags in siberia are ******* tough, no stand up comic classes in there.
Old 25 January 2009, 06:09 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
I cannot wait for the next election!! I just hope the other parties seize on stuff like this, we will have Labour out no problem
They never do. The labour party has mismanaged the country in a number of criminal ways, but little capital is ever made of it. A small percentage of people who read broadsheets know, but the majority, who read tabloids, have little idea...

The only thing that bothers the majority is their own best interest, but even there, many are too stupid to realise that all this government has done is tax and spend (and waste), despite promises to do no such thing.

The electorates ignorance/stupidity and apathy scares me. Actually, perhaps I shouldnt say that, the last thing we want Big Brother to do is remove that responsibility: I wonder if GB had thought of that.....
Old 25 January 2009, 06:17 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

LOl another well thought out plan, So take away the driving licence and the there is a good possibility that some will just drive without licence, get caught and make the situation worse, others who need the car to get to work or have a job that relies on them driving to earn a living get made jobless.
And no doubt there will be the usual **** ups made by the civil servants / CSA chasing the wrong person.

Richard
Old 25 January 2009, 06:25 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 25 January 2009, 06:41 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Are they any better?

I have a theory... all the parties are in on the end result which is to have complete control of the UK's population in one way or another.

We think were voting for a change, but in reality were voting for the same aims/party under a different name.
Old 26 January 2009, 10:58 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Boro
Are they any better?

I have a theory... all the parties are in on the end result which is to have complete control of the UK's population in one way or another.

We think were voting for a change, but in reality were voting for the same aims/party under a different name.
I think you are being unfair, there is no evidence pointing in that direction as far as the Conservatives are concerned although I have to admit that with modern career politicians you can never tell. The fact is that with the present bunch, we can see the future style of government pretty clearly. It is truly frightening.

Sarah Kennedy said on the radio this morning that councils were being empowered to knock on your door and ask what you are eating for supper! Has anybody else heard this or is it a big con? I know what my answer would be!

Les
Old 26 January 2009, 11:05 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I think you are being unfair, there is no evidence pointing in that direction as far as the Conservatives are concerned although I have to admit that with modern career politicians you can never tell. The fact is that with the present bunch, we can see the future style of government pretty clearly. It is truly frightening.
Why is it being unfair. If, as we all seem to believe on here, the current governemnt are doing things that are so obviously wrong in terns of controlling the population why aren't the Tories and other parties for that matter making people aware of this by vehemently campaigning against these measures and bringing them to the attention of the voting masses.

The only answer must be, as Boro says, they are in agreemnet with the government's desire to exert more and more control over the population.

Or have I missed something blindingly obvious as to why they say nothing.
Old 26 January 2009, 11:41 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think one of their biggest problems is that whenever they come up with a sensible policy, NL are likely to nick it for their own.

I don't know whether they would also want to establish a totalitarian state, but I would not expect that from a Conservative government. Whatever their failings they have always advocated personal freedom in previous times. It is however pretty obvious which way NL is going in that respect.

I would also like to see a better indication of Cameron's policies and a stronger attack on NL policies, I think that he does pretty well at Prime Minister's Questions so far and I imagine we will have to wait for a general election to find out what their real policies actually are. NL has done a good job of hanging themselves for some time now, but Cameron can't always totally rely on that.

Les
Old 26 January 2009, 12:23 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

This is another fcuked up idea from nu labia.

If a father is missing csa payments, lets take away his means of getting to work, so he can begin paying again.

If it ever happens to me, i would buy a **** car for a grand, not bother rregistering the name change, make sure the former keeper taxes it before i buy, then just drive around anyway.

Nu labia re a bunch of tw@s, and the sooner they and ther quangos that advise on this **** dissapear, the better!
Old 26 January 2009, 12:45 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Whatever their failings they have always advocated personal freedom in previous times.
Les
Les, please don't preach on the Cons being for personal liberty as it's simply not true. The right to strike

"The UK has no written constitution and the right to strike is not protected. Dependent on which side the government of the day represents, the law is changed to favour either owners and directors or else the working population. Conservative governments, for example, in power since 1979, had by 1996 passed something like eight Acts of Parliament reducing, indeed removing, basic rights of the working population."
Old 26 January 2009, 01:04 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

ffs
Old 26 January 2009, 01:08 PM
jonny_693
Scooby Regular

I would drive without it on principal. What Percentage of scroates that don't pay are drunken bums who don't have a licence or passport anyway? Will they take passports and licenses off mothers who won't pay their way?
Old 26 January 2009, 01:25 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
ffs
What's that a comment on?
Old 26 January 2009, 01:36 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It was on your totally missing the point. Im sorry but to argue that the Tories curbing out of control unions 'right to strike' after they brought the Labour government and the country to its knees, is as bad as or worse then the current Labour governments constand assault on our libery, is ridiculous.
Old 26 January 2009, 01:41 PM
coolangatta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
It was on your totally missing the point. Im sorry but to argue that the Tories curbing out of control unions 'right to strike' after they brought the Labour government and the country to its knees, is as bad as or worse then the current Labour governments constand assault on our libery, is ridiculous.
Sorry, if missing the point is pointing out an undeniable fact, to some that don't want to acknowledge it, is rediculous then...erm..yes, you have point..ffs
Old 26 January 2009, 02:07 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Thumbs down

It's an outrage As OP says, this will get abused & "innocent" people will find their passport cancelled or whatever for minor offences or even stuff they didn't do. All because a tiny minority abuse the system ...

How many fecking laws have labour passed / snuck in since they came to power?!!

TX.

Edit - who was it refered to the "insidious (sp?) errosion of our civil liberties"?

Last edited by Terminator X; 26 January 2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 26 January 2009, 02:12 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Tell em to GET LOST Les if they knock! Only Police can enter (with a Warrant) without permission. Hell, even vampires have to ask!

TX.

Sarah Kennedy said on the radio this morning that councils were being empowered to knock on your door and ask what you are eating for supper! Has anybody else heard this or is it a big con? I know what my answer would be!
Old 26 January 2009, 02:14 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I don't normally get into these debates as I'm a pretty 'honest' citizen and to a certain extent subscribe to the blinkered and short sighted 'if you've got nothing to hide...' brigade.

BUT it just appears that more and more forced control is being applied to the general population, it is slightly reminiscent of communist Russia where your movement is restricted if you fail to comply to some government edict.

Steve
Old 26 January 2009, 02:19 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Its actually getting more like Orwells 1984. There are a number of worrying similarities, from surveilance to the 'big lie'.
Old 27 January 2009, 11:08 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coolangatta
Les, please don't preach on the Cons being for personal liberty as it's simply not true. The right to strike

"The UK has no written constitution and the right to strike is not protected. Dependent on which side the government of the day represents, the law is changed to favour either owners and directors or else the working population. Conservative governments, for example, in power since 1979, had by 1996 passed something like eight Acts of Parliament reducing, indeed removing, basic rights of the working population."
The reasoning behind the answer to what you say has been adequately explained by GC8.

What sort of rights would you expect under a fully totalitarian government though?

Les