Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Jeff Buckley's Best Of Album

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2009, 10:46 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jeff Buckley's Best Of Album

Lets look past the fact that he's ****e, depressing and actually has no good songs to make a best of album

What a market ploy that is! Before Xfactor no one hardly knew who he was now some dirtbag has sang one of this known songs and bang this comes out. I wonder if Simon Cowell will make money out of this?
Old 09 January 2009, 10:48 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it 2 minutes long?
Old 09 January 2009, 10:55 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

It'll probably sink without trace.
Old 09 January 2009, 11:00 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Fail Robert.
Old 09 January 2009, 11:04 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BigJay
Lets look past the fact that he's ****e, depressing and actually has no good songs to make a best of album

What a market ploy that is! Before Xfactor no one hardly knew who he was now some dirtbag has sang one of this known songs and bang this comes out. I wonder if Simon Cowell will make money out of this?
In fairness Jay, Jeff Buckley was very well known before X-Factor. Grace has sold over two million copies and every serious music lover knows him. Of course: having died after releasing only one studio album and before the second was completed, a 'Best Of' is cynical to say the least. Rather like Elvis; his heirs are making a good deal more than he did...
Old 09 January 2009, 11:10 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Bubba po
It'll probably sink without trace.

Old 09 January 2009, 11:13 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
In fairness Jay, Jeff Buckley was very well known before X-Factor. Grace has sold over two million copies and every serious music lover knows him. Of course: having died after releasing only one studio album and before the second was completed, a 'Best Of' is cynical to say the least. Rather like Elvis; his heirs are making a good deal more than he did...
Do you think this CD is being released to attract the attention of "serious music lovers"? i think not.

As for Grace, a friend of mine bought it due to an article in a newspaper a few years ago saying how great it was. Being two budding audiophiles we let it rip expecting to be treated to an aural masterpiece. Unfortunately i think i gave up trying to find anything good about it and stuck some Scooter instead.
Old 09 January 2009, 11:19 PM
samcowrx
Scooby Regular

who is Jeff Buckley?
Old 09 January 2009, 11:20 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Fail Robert.
I like Jeff Buckley - I just couldn't resist the joke.
Old 09 January 2009, 11:28 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I like Jeff Buckley and a wasted talent to die so young. I still prefer the Rufus Wainright version of Hallelujah, but the album 'Grace' is very good.

Steve
Old 10 January 2009, 09:58 AM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

WTF is Jeff Buckley - I have a massive music collection as wide as it can go (except for Country) and I have never heard of him.

Maybe he is a country singer?
Old 10 January 2009, 12:23 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

I think he was some useless singer who kiffed it and suddenly a load of greasy students decided that it was cool and bohemian to "dig" him (so to speak)...
Quite clearly from the song "HalleberryandJulia", it was no wonder we hadn't heard of him before the students who were tired of bigging up Jim Morrison (nice shops by the way Jim) discovered him.
Old 10 January 2009, 01:26 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Wtf did they build the M62? Better to have spent the money on a big f*ck-off fence, ffs!
Old 10 January 2009, 02:00 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spooky Mulder
WTF is Jeff Buckley - I have a massive music collection as wide as it can go (except for Country) and I have never heard of him.

Maybe he is a country singer?
No he's not a country singer.

Grace is a stunning album.

Originally Posted by Abdabz
I think he was some useless singer
you get first prize for todays most ignorant post on SN.
Buckley is a great singer, apparently has almost a 5 octave range which for anyone who knows anything about music/singing, it's VERY impressive.
Old 10 January 2009, 02:02 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
He is from Lancashire.
Old 10 January 2009, 04:15 PM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

Buckley is a great singer, apparently has almost a 5 octave range which for anyone who knows anything about music/singing, it's VERY impressive.
If I get it and it isn't I will be coming after you

PS Having a five octave range is indeed impressive but does not make anyone a great singer or musically interesting
Old 10 January 2009, 04:43 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

And you sir, after a recount will be royally handed back your prize as you deserve it more than I I think he was / is useless at singing... I couldn't care less if he could sing 9 octaves for flips sake! His voice sounds gash to me.
The fact you think it is good and I don't doesn't mean I am ignorant. No Sir. At best it means you are the ignorant one for pitifully trying to insult someone because there opinion differs from yours

Anyway, I refer back to the type of people that I believe like this guys recordings and will quietly put you firmly in that bracket for ever more
Old 10 January 2009, 04:44 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
He is from Lancashire.
Indeed I am on the posh, educated side of the Pennines, where people know good music when they hear it and don't think it's cool to big up talentless dead people
Old 10 January 2009, 05:01 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abdabz
And you sir, after a recount will be royally handed back your prize as you deserve it more than I I think he was / is useless at singing... I couldn't care less if he could sing 9 octaves for flips sake! His voice sounds gash to me.
The fact you think it is good and I don't doesn't mean I am ignorant. No Sir. At best it means you are the ignorant one for pitifully trying to insult someone because there opinion differs from yours

Anyway, I refer back to the type of people that I believe like this guys recordings and will quietly put you firmly in that bracket for ever more
Keep digging that hole

It's a fact that Jeff Buckley can sing well, not an opinion. Ask any musical expert and they'll tell you the same thing.

Fair enough if you don't like it, that's another thing altogether, just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad.

I know of loads of bands and singers that can play/sing very well that I don't like as it's not my thing.

Essentially there's always stuff we don't Like, however I'm not ignorant enough to think that therefore there isn't musical merit in it.

Then there's the other type of (ignorant) person that calls certain bands "crap" just because they don't like it rather than reflecting on any sort of musical merit or understanding thereof.

good day to you sir.
Old 10 January 2009, 07:26 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

i on the other hand am ignorant enough to say his music is rubbish and he has a terrible voice, now due to this being my thoughts it must be FACT.

JB, the losers choice of music, for those who use Facebook/Bebo and like to hang themselves
Old 10 January 2009, 08:46 PM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

Everyone of course is entitled to their opinion.

Jeff Buckley had a fantastic voice and more musical talent in his little finger than any keyboard warrior on Scoobynet.

You might not agree with this but then again huge amounts of people don't like classical music either.

Not agreeing with something or indeed anything doesn't make it worthless or 'crap'.

There are many people who believe that if something isn't popular, or even if they don't like it, that it is rubbish.

It says more about them I think.
Old 10 January 2009, 10:42 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BigJay
JB, the losers choice of music, for those who use Facebook/Bebo and like to hang themselves
So you choose the music you listen to based upon whether you might be considered to be a loser for listening to it, rather than whether it moves you?
Old 10 January 2009, 11:07 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

i choose music that you can jack yo body too.
Old 10 January 2009, 11:22 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day Dracroro you cant say he is a good singer because he isnt going to sell out a tour in the near future. He was a singer. One who became "better" after he died. I'm sure you and all the other "fans" on here had all of his material in your music cabinet before his passing, and if so fair play to you. I would hate to think of anyone on here being on a trampoline looking for a bandwagon now...
I too choose music that you can jack your body to
Old 10 January 2009, 11:41 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

I bought the album the week it came out back in 1994 after hearing some of his stuff previously, some radio show had played a couple of his songs.

But really, does it matter how or when one hears a band? You hear it, you like it then you buy it.

As for bandwagons, about 99.99% of music that is heard is off the back of the band attaining some sort of popularity.

Personally, I have musical tastes that entail a somewhat wider musical spectrum than just stuff you can "jack" to (is that an euphemism? I assume you mean dance?) but each to their own..
Old 11 January 2009, 12:33 AM
darts_aint_sport
Scooby Regular

Not really my cup of tea is Jeff Buckley. But as quoted from Wikipdeia...

"Grace won appreciation from a host of revered musicians, including members of Buckley's biggest influence, Led Zeppelin.[75] Jimmy Page considered Grace close to being his "favorite album of the decade".[76] Robert Plant was also complimentary.[77] Others who had influenced Buckley's music lauded him:[78] Bob Dylan named Buckley "one of the great songwriters of this decade",[77] and, in an interview with Village Voice, David Bowie named Grace as one of the ten albums he would take with him to a desert island.[79] The album eventually went on to feature in Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time in 2003, appearing at #303.[80]"

Praise indeed I'd say.
Old 11 January 2009, 01:07 AM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

I bought Grace as I thought it would be like Elliott Smith, but I just couldn't get into it, I just found it a bit disappointing.

If that is your genre though, Elliott Smith is head and shoulders above the rest, and no I'm afraid you can't "Jack your jiggy with it" or whatever you do.

YouTube - Elliott Smith, "The Biggest Lie" (2003)
Old 11 January 2009, 04:24 AM
angrynorth
Scooby Regular

It depends on the context I think.

If you've only heard him recently thanks to X-factor then you are entitled to having a detrimental opinion on him thanks to the soul-less marketing effort surrounding this new compilation of old songs that has just been released.

Personally, I've been listening to Jeff Buckley for a while now and I think he was a true talent. Grace is one of my all time favourite albums and to discount it or his influence on other artists because of the Xfactor is unfair.

I won't be stopping listening to him anyway, no matter what the general consensus is.
Old 11 January 2009, 05:33 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Anyone with an ounce of musical taste, knowledge or talent will appreciate Buckley, those that know nothing about music or have never played an instrument or studied music might not. Each to their own. I frankly would never listen to Mariah Carey but I can apreciate how good a singer she is.