Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Panarama

Could be interesting?

On NOW BBC1
Old 22 December 2008, 08:37 PM
Luke
BANNED

I'm watching "Panorama " , much better .
Old 22 December 2008, 08:39 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Will be very interesting - Im going to catch this on iplayer at a later date.

Like a number of others including yourself I was expecting a big financial bust (including massive house price crash), but I didn't expect things to get this bad - and worryingly things look set to get a lot worse before they get better.

I expected 30-40% house price falls, but derivatives markets are predicting 50%, and it looks like falls could be even sharper if we go into a depression.

My main worry now is social unrest. Already there have been riots in Greece, China, Russia - Uk will follow at some point as we haven't even seen the real job losses start yet. Exporting countries like China, Japan and Germany are going to be seriously screwed as well - exports from Japan fell something like 70% last month (as obviously nobody is buying in the usual markets)

I've recently traded down from a new-ish Audi to a 7year old VW Polo due the collapse in used car values (which also looks set to only get worse)

On the plus-side when things start to recover (IMO AT LEAST 5 years) then hopefully there will never be another debt-fueled boom like this again. I think it'll go back to - "you want to buy something, then you save up for it and buy it when you can afford it"

Last edited by Petem95; 22 December 2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 22 December 2008, 08:45 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I had to turn off cos it seemed to be merely a profile on that somewhat annoying Preston chap
Old 22 December 2008, 08:45 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Panarama
Not watching - don't like those nasty fish
Old 22 December 2008, 08:46 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

the end is nigh.

Personally I cannot see how we can get out of this downward spiral, it may level out but the way back up is no mean feat.

I don't profess to be a knowledgable as others on here but I think we are all agreed it is looking bleak.
Old 22 December 2008, 09:17 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

velly intlewsting pslewis

Trending Topics

Old 22 December 2008, 09:34 PM
zs_phil
Scooby Regular

didnt watch it as my tv has broke but seriously though how much worse can it get ,and what the hell happens when its a depression and theres millions out of work and only a hand full of job vacancies and the mortgage only gets paid for a year .

doomed i tell ye ,seriously though it is a scary thought and i thought it was bad without a tv and its only been 3 and a half hours
Old 22 December 2008, 09:37 PM
Jye
Scooby Regular

I've been learning how to solder stuff lately It's one of those 'end of days' skills that will surely come in handy
Old 22 December 2008, 10:35 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Luke
I'm watching "Panorama " , much better .
says it all!!

durr....
Old 22 December 2008, 10:38 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jye
I've been learning how to solder stuff lately It's one of those 'end of days' skills that will surely come in handy
Somebody has to fix those electric kettles. I've got one. Had to kill a man to get it. Should be worth something once you have it mended for me...

Old 22 December 2008, 10:51 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

AFP: World faces "total" financial meltdown: Bank of Spain chief

These kinds of headlines don't even raise eyebrows now!
Old 23 December 2008, 08:32 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Things cant be that bad. I applied for a credit card yesterday and was instantly approved and given an £8,300 limit
Old 23 December 2008, 08:42 AM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Barclaycard for rossyboy!
Old 23 December 2008, 08:45 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Virgin actually
Old 23 December 2008, 08:49 AM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

I was watching it for a while.Incredibly boring.

My wife then asked me what I was doing watching a type of hat
Old 23 December 2008, 10:18 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by rossyboy
Things cant be that bad. I applied for a credit card yesterday and was instantly approved and given an £8,300 limit
In a couple of years that will only be worth £200 at today's prices
Old 23 December 2008, 10:34 AM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

This always makes me shudder:
Germany
Main article: Inflation in the Weimar Republic
Germany went through its worst inflation in 1923. In 1922, the highest denomination was 50,000 Mark. By 1923, the highest denomination was 100,000,000,000,000 Mark. In December 1923 the exchange rate was 4,200,000,000,000 Marks to 1 US dollar.[11] In 1923, the rate of inflation hit 3.25 × 106 percent per month (prices double every two days). Beginning on November 20, 1923, 1,000,000,000,000 old Marks were exchanged for 1 Rentenmark[11] so that 4.2 Rentenmarks were worth 1 US dollar, exactly the same rate the Mark had in 1914.
You have all these savings and think you are well off, then boom, they are worthless!
Old 23 December 2008, 10:35 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Was that a financial programme or a biography of Robert Peston?

" uuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrhhhhhhh i get up at 6.15 eeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrmmmmmmmmm, check a few wires aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, start my blog........."

FFS, WGAS?
Old 23 December 2008, 12:13 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
Will be very interesting - Im going to catch this on iplayer at a later date.

Like a number of others including yourself I was expecting a big financial bust (including massive house price crash), but I didn't expect things to get this bad - and worryingly things look set to get a lot worse before they get better.

I expected 30-40% house price falls, but derivatives markets are predicting 50%, and it looks like falls could be even sharper if we go into a depression.

My main worry now is social unrest. Already there have been riots in Greece, China, Russia - Uk will follow at some point as we haven't even seen the real job losses start yet. Exporting countries like China, Japan and Germany are going to be seriously screwed as well - exports from Japan fell something like 70% last month (as obviously nobody is buying in the usual markets)

I've recently traded down from a new-ish Audi to a 7year old VW Polo due the collapse in used car values (which also looks set to only get worse)

On the plus-side when things start to recover (IMO AT LEAST 5 years) then hopefully there will never be another debt-fueled boom like this again. I think it'll go back to - "you want to buy something, then you save up for it and buy it when you can afford it"
I'm really not sure if things will recover.
I think this recession/depression will actually lead to life changing dramatically for everyone. Not sure how, but it will be a hell of a bumpy ride.
Old 23 December 2008, 12:48 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
I think this recession/depression will actually lead to life changing dramatically for everyone. Not sure how, but it will be a hell of a bumpy ride.

I agree. It's funny how we've come to expect the foreign holidays, new(ish) cars, big TV's, meals out etc etc.

There isn't a rule book somewhere that says that's how things have to be. And if there was, I suspect it's being torn up as we speak.

I'm hearing rumours that the Madoff scam is the tip of the iceberg. And if true that has dire consequences for us all.
Old 23 December 2008, 12:55 PM
SunnySideUp
Scooby Regular

I believe that there will be more scams and dishonest behaviour being blown open next year.

Pension Funds will be hardest hit IMO - firms charge ££££Millions to 'manage' these schemes ....... and manage them badly from what I can see!

Hopefully, we have seen the end of the Fat Cats!! .... but, somehow, I doubt it.
Old 23 December 2008, 02:28 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SunnySideUp
I believe that there will be more scams and dishonest behaviour being blown open next year.

Pension Funds will be hardest hit IMO - firms charge ££££Millions to 'manage' these schemes ....... and manage them badly from what I can see!

Hopefully, we have seen the end of the Fat Cats!! .... but, somehow, I doubt it.
I fear not, as these are the times when the 'new' fat cats start planning for the next big swindle!
Old 23 December 2008, 06:45 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matteeboy
Quite a scary prospect, but now it doesn't look totally unlikely that things may never go back to how they were, in Western countries anyway.

I guess we've become used to being massive consumers - buying up cheap manufactured goods from developing countries where people work for a dollar a day, and borrowing money like there's no tomorrow.

IMO this deep recession/depression will last 5-10years (we're probably 18months in tho I guess), but when we come out the other side the world will be a much less stable place, and we may even see full-scale wars, the likes which have not been seen since WW2. Everyone in the world wants to live the Western lifestyle now, but that just cant happen. Scary times
Old 23 December 2008, 06:55 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

it will all be back to normal in 5 or so years

another bunch of muppets will need to make money -- the past will all be forgotton -- or we will here phrases like "no its different this time, this way is much much better" -- in any case, too much money at stake for it to pan out any other way

mark my words