Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

career advice

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2008, 11:42 AM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default career advice

Please don't shoot me down as I really did not want to post this thread on here, but I just want some advice, pointers on a suitable job that I have not thought of.

Let me explain my situation by starting at the beginning which is a very good place to start (que Julie Andrews). I went through School doing my GCSE's in English, Maths and Science, German, Geography, GNVQ ICT and Graphics then I progressed onto do my A Levels at the same school in AVCE ICT (double award)and Design and Technology which I gained a BB and C respectively. I left sixth form and went to Uni which I did two of the three years doing a course called 'Software Systems for Arts and Media' and I earned a Diploma in this. I left as of a few things, but mainly I wanted to get out into the work place and earn some money hopefully to do a job in Graphic design. Why because I enjoy designing and making new images and what not. Its something I feel confident in doing.

But alas, that have not happened. To keep my busy I have done temping work such as car valeting for Vauxhall Fleet management, worked in warehouses, despatch and production (at one company) and done the odd bit of data input.

We (parents and I) moved last January from Harpenden to Bedfordshire in a hope that I could find a better array of jobs in the Graphic Design (GD) field...yeah right. I found a sales valeter job working for a Volvo/Mitsubishi dealer in Bedford which I did for 11 months before I had to quit as it was giving me large amounts of stress in one way for another.

Whilst I was working at the dealership, I applied for a Graphic Design job that was local to me (6 minutes) for the position of junior Graphic Designer which I did get an interview (went well) and a week later they called me back for a second interview that went well too. Then a week later I get a letter in the post and the two people that called back for a second interview (me and another candidate) where both unsuccessful reason they said as they where going to have a and I quote "staff reshuffle". I mean what cheek!

Since leaving the sales valeting job end of May 08, I have been frantically looking for a junior GD job. Local papers, job agencies and job centre (I am on job seekers allowance). Its getting ridiculous. I was told buy one agency that my GD skills where now out of date !! So is it time to do something else in another field. What I don't know. I don't want to go back to uni or college. I have done the hard graft and I now want a office based job.

This is where you the Scoobynet community come in. Can you give me some advice or pointers to help me find a job.

I do have a little saying "I would rather not get paid for a job I love than get paid for a job that I hate".

Thanks for your time.

Darren
Old 28 November 2008, 11:49 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Bin man
Old 28 November 2008, 11:55 AM
jimmyv
Scooby Regular

Darren

I think that in the current market going back and retraining may be one of the better ideas. im in a similar position in that i have just finished my degree after 5 years (did it part time so i was working in the industry and learning and earning) sadly ive just been informed that we may be facing redundancy and since im in construction there are minimal job opportunites.
im considering going back to uni to do a masters in some other field as im hoping by the time i have finished doing that the markets may have picked up sufficiently to allow me to choose between which career path to focus on.
i know this may not be much help as you dont want to go down this route but it may be worth considering. sorry i cant be more constructive, and all the best in what you do choose.

Jim.
Old 28 November 2008, 12:07 PM
HankScorpio
Scooby Regular

What about refresher or top up training - anything like that available?

By all means fill in, but don't give up on what you actually want.
Old 28 November 2008, 12:15 PM
Mew
Scooby Regular

m8, i have just finished finished university after 5years, i have hnd btec electronics engineering and beng electrical & electronic engineering.

current eco situation has made it much harder for u and me to find a job, doesnt mean that there arent jobs out there, just means u may not find what u want as theres so much competition from those already experienced in that field who have been sacked already.

if u have the money id suggest what jimmyv says, go study again. i personally have had enough of study and i dont have £3300 to do a masters but it would make sense to study now whilst the world has gone pot then come out a fresh grad after the situation has hopefully repaired itself somewhat.

theres my 2pence worth.
Old 28 November 2008, 12:31 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mew
m8, i have just finished finished university after 5years, i have hnd btec electronics engineering and beng electrical & electronic engineering.

current eco situation has made it much harder for u and me to find a job, doesnt mean that there arent jobs out there, just means u may not find what u want as theres so much competition from those already experienced in that field who have been sacked already.

if u have the money id suggest what jimmyv says, go study again. i personally have had enough of study and i dont have £3300 to do a masters but it would make sense to study now whilst the world has gone pot then come out a fresh grad after the situation has hopefully repaired itself somewhat.

theres my 2pence worth.
Depends where you are in the country, move to Aberdeen and you'll get a job in engineering by just simply clicking your fingers. Very good salaries too due to the supporting industry.

Sometimes you need to move rather than just sit and wait for it on your door step. This is where many people with good education behind them go wrong.
Old 28 November 2008, 12:55 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I did not expect these responses, so thanks. I was thinking about apprenticeships, or going to college again to top up on what I have already done. I was in fact going to go back to Uni, Northampton to do 3 years on a GD course, but I decided that I really did not want to go back to Uni again. Bide my time I think.

I hope that the market does pick up and soon.

Last edited by SC008Y_MAD; 28 November 2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 28 November 2008, 01:01 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Apprenticeships are due to come back as across Europe they are seen as quite the thing to have. Problem in the UK is that rubbish like YTS did a lot of damage so places dried up.

As a jobseeker you should be well placed to get help finding a placement though so i would speak to the jobcentre and see how they could help.

Good luck!

5t.
Old 28 November 2008, 01:05 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

I only wish that the jobcentre actually helped you find a job, rather than check your job searches booklet thing and sign a card to say I have turned up. They are hopeless. There was a discussion on the Jeremy Vine show on R2 wednesday I think it was about this.
Old 28 November 2008, 01:21 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

not read all the answers, but what about applying to computer software companies for graphic design work there, or also website design? (you do the layout and someone else does the coding or even learn it yourself and do the whole lot)
Old 28 November 2008, 01:32 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know if this is viable in your area of work, but are there opportunities for freelance GD's? Could you work part-time for yourself while also making ends meet working in a factory etc? This way you're not penniless but you're getting a portfolio together, making contacts, getting experience.
Just a thought
Nick
Old 28 November 2008, 03:46 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jaytc2003
not read all the answers, but what about applying to computer software companies for graphic design work there, or also website design? (you do the layout and someone else does the coding or even learn it yourself and do the whole lot)
Thats avenue to go down. The jobs around here, Bedford and MK seem to be drying up. The local paper job section has gone from 6-8 pages down to just 4 and even a double page, half of which is just adverts for agencies. I will keep trying and trying.

I don't really want to go down the freelance route just yet.
Old 28 November 2008, 03:46 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Just like to add, thank you so much for the supportive comments. Very much appreciated Wish somehow I could repay the favor.
Old 28 November 2008, 03:48 PM
jimmyv
Scooby Regular

Make mine a stella
Only kidding, best of luck to you.
Old 28 November 2008, 03:55 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thanks.
Old 28 November 2008, 05:56 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Have you got yourself on Monster and Jobsite? I've found these to be pretty handy for a graduate in technical fields, although you do get a lot of irrelevant emails/calls and have to be prepared to move.

Can you top up your diploma to a degree and if so can you take the credits to a different uni if desired? That's what I'd be looking at doing.

I've found speaking to the careers advisor for my uni department quite helpful now I'm looking for a new job 2 years after finishing my masters. Our uni allow you to continue to use the careers service for 3 years after graduating.