Living & Working dubai

Search this Thread

Old 13 November 2008, 02:34 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Living & Working dubai

Hi,

As per the title, wanted to find out if anyone had worked and lived in Dubai recently to get an idea of what it's like out there.

Long story short, I have been offered a job to work for a UK company based in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, offering £45k tax free salary, company car and some allowance towards living costs.

I am a novice to this kind of stuff so would appreciate views of what it's like out there, pitfalls etc as I don't know if the £45k salary will cover the cost of living and working a year in Dubai.

I also have a young family so I plan to get them out there at some point, again feedback on schools etc would be appreciated.

I checked out the various sites out there but it's always nice to hear first hand experience.

Not accepted the offer yet but want to make my decision sooner rather than later - it's a big step and on the flip side I have just started a "comfort" job in my home town, working for a large established organisation in a pretty plush office (would put to shame the technology on the Star Trek Enterprise ship lol).

Cheers,

Fz
Old 13 November 2008, 02:52 PM
DisoDisp
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've lived in dubai between 1994 and 2004, and looking to go Abu Dhabi 2011-2014.

Bear in mind that rents are sky high atm, (alhtough the housing market is collapsing, but it might take some time for rents to go down)
housing allowance is a must, look to pay around 500,000AED per annum for a decent villa in Dubai (which is what, 82k pounds?)
Places can be had for cheaper, i.e. apartments, you can take a look at prices at Dubai Property Real Estate ? Rent, buy or Sale Properties in Dubai, UAE Apartments and Villas with Better Homes. Manage or Invest in Dubai Property with us..

Concerning your family, there are plenty of good schools in Dubai, primary schools that follow the British Curriculum that I would recommend are JESS and DESS (Jumeirah English Speaking School and Dubai English Speaking School, both of which are very popular.) Horizon is another worthy candidate.

Secondary schools that I can recommend are The English College Dubai and Dubai College.

Cars are dirt cheap (second hand) and fairly cheap new, cost of living has gone up quite a bit since I left, but it is still cheaper than Finland, and id suspect it is slightly cheaper than Blighty.

Nightlife is good, and if you are into sports, there is a variety to do, be it scuba to golf, and even trackdays at the autodrome.

I personally thoroughly enjoyed my time in Dubai, hence looking to moving back to the region.
Old 13 November 2008, 03:18 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Not been personally ,but i have heard you need to be discreet when using the beaches for some sports !!!!
Or you can find yourself in trouble .
Old 13 November 2008, 06:11 PM
finalzero
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by njkmrs
Not been personally ,but i have heard you need to be discreet when using the beaches for some sports !!!!
Or you can find yourself in trouble .
Volleyball... with women.. half naked women... or walking about with your builders crack showing and your illigitimate beer child in the belly?

But seriously, fecking hell tis a bit expensive... Thinking that £45k offer is looking a bit **** now so may have to go back to the company and tell em it might not cover my needs.

They are offer allowance towards living accomodations but I don't know how much that is and what exactly it will afford me, seems I need to sit down and do some financial forcasting.

Cheers,

Fz
Old 13 November 2008, 06:19 PM
njkmrs
Scooby Regular

Yeh 45k in your back bin with no living costs would sound much better .Start paying for your own accomodation out of that 45k and it starts losing a bit of its appeal I have to say .It would be a good experience though Im sure .
Good Luck whatever you decide .
Old 13 November 2008, 07:05 PM
beal
Scooby Regular

My cousin is working in Barain and hes a contracts manager,he get around 85k per annum with all his living costs paid for,hes been there 4 years now and will be there for many years to come.he loves it