Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone been to New York and taken baby son/Daughter?

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2008, 07:39 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone been to New York and taken baby son/Daughter?

We keep thinking about going to New York but we are not sure if taking our 16 month old daughter may make it a nightmare. Dont get me wrong, she is a wee gem and no bother at all but its the small person/busy city thats a concern.
I've always wanted to go, 2 or 3 years ago we were almost booked up and then at last minute decided to go to Toronto and Niagra Falls instead. Not that i regret it as it was fantastic.

Just looking for advice from those who have done it
Old 19 October 2008, 08:59 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

I went in June and took my g/f.
She spent a fair bit of the trip acting like a little child so you'll be fine

Seriously, it'll be like any big city tbh. But only slightly better run than the UK ones.
There are more experienced visitors to NYC on scoobynet than me so they'll be along before too long. Until then I foun Trip advisor to be a fantastic source of info

For me: If you've the slightest chance of visiting that city then jump at it
Old 19 October 2008, 09:17 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

We went the week before Christmas when our daughter was 2 and a bit. (9/11 year!)
Absolutely magical for her what with snow in Central Park and taking a ride around in a horse and carriage.

Macey's have a fab Santas Grotto too.
We took our Mclaren buggy with us and stayed at a hotel in Times Square and to be honest we had no trouble at all with crowds. If anything we found people very helpful with regards to us having a small child with us - hotel, restaurants, cabs etc.

The closer you can go to Chrimbo the better, IMHO.

Enjoy
Old 19 October 2008, 10:51 PM
scoobybubbles
Scooby Regular

i took my baby , but she was still in my tummy!!! i was 7 months pregnant , and went tot visit the other half as he was living out there with work at the time!

I remember a coupld eon the plane with a small ish baby about 8 months old, and i thought how very brave they were taking a small one on a plane! not somethng i'd like to try and do, (but thats just me) if your doing it as a couple i think thats much better! and i'd probably take her on a plane now , if someone was there to help!

She is 3 now , and ive not yet taken her on a plane! but will do in the future!

Ref New York i agree with zip106 nearer xmas i think the better , my husband said it was beautiful with snow everywhere! i have a few pics on the PC of the xmas lights, looks wonderful!

Whatever you decide i hope you have a wonderful time!!! just make sure you take plenty for lil one to do on that tedious 7 hour flight (or what ever it is!)

tracy x
Old 19 October 2008, 11:00 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Went in 2000 with eight 19 year old girls, I was the only one old enough to buy beer, it was good.

As said, it's just a magic place at the right time of year (I like it when it's cold) and I'm sure it would be the same, if not better than any other city for taking the kids with you.

What info are you after specifically?

Warner Brothers store was awesome, Statue of Liberty sucked, Empire states was pretty cool, I went to all the major museums and galleries, which was really worth doing.

I'm a big kid and I though NY was great
Old 20 October 2008, 09:40 AM
scoobybubbles
Scooby Regular

other half would most defernatly recommend places to eat!! smith and wolenski's for sure!! especially if your a steak eater!!! yummy! id go back to new york just to go there to eat!!!
Old 21 October 2008, 09:08 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Torquemada
What info are you after specifically?
Just reasurance i suppose, with it being such a busy place it makes me think it might be to stressfull with the wee one. However that worry should be blown out by the fact Disneyland(orlando) is probably the most people per square meter i have ever seen and it was full of kid's!! 6ft ones too!!
I would also like to know what Airport is best to fly into and also how to get into the city on arrival, is it close enough for a taxi ride? Hotel names that you recommend?
Old 21 October 2008, 10:29 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

JFK is the normal one to fly into.
When we went, there were no lifts from the runway so the Captain helped me carry our pushchair ( with sleeping daughter in it) up the stairs!
At the time, JFK was being re-built so I'd have thought it'd be done now.(with lifts)
A taxi into the city is probably best, and not overly expensive (can't exactly remember how much).

As for hotels, we stayed at the Doubletree Guest Suites right on Times Square.
Great place for the money with a bedroom, and a decent lounge area separate to the bedroom.

Very central and we could walk to Central Park and down to all the best shops, Rockerfeller Centre etc.
Just down the road was a mahoosive Toys R Us with a Ferris wheel (fullsize) in the middle of the shop.

You will enjoy it!
New York Hotels Manhattan - Times Square Doubletree Hotel NYC
Old 22 October 2008, 09:07 AM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

My sister and bro-inlaw are taking my 21 week old (by then) nephew to New York in December
Old 22 October 2008, 09:57 AM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

How do you propose on getting there?

Concorde has stopped flying

I took my 9mth old boy from Aberdeen to Heathrow a couple of weeks ago, flight time approx 50 mins, 30mins before take off, 10 mins after landing so about an hour and a half on the plane both ways.

Although he was fairly good in the noise sense, he wouldn't sit still and i cant even imagine what a 9hr plane journey would be like with him.

I wouldn't fancy sitting next to someone elses whinging baby for 9hrs either.
Old 22 October 2008, 09:44 PM
97TURBO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
How do you propose on getting there?

Concorde has stopped flying

I took my 9mth old boy from Aberdeen to Heathrow a couple of weeks ago, flight time approx 50 mins, 30mins before take off, 10 mins after landing so about an hour and a half on the plane both ways.

Although he was fairly good in the noise sense, he wouldn't sit still and i cant even imagine what a 9hr plane journey would be like with him.

I wouldn't fancy sitting next to someone elses whinging baby for 9hrs either.
We flew to Lanzarote from Glasgow when she was 8 months old and thats a 4 hour flight. She would'nt sit still and had to be entertained most of the way, but on the plus side there was no crying. We would'nt actually go until early next year by which time she will be around 20 months. The flight is the main concern.
Old 23 October 2008, 09:45 AM
scoobybubbles
Scooby Regular

I think so long as you take plenty to entertain ur little one on the plane she will be fine! if you have an ipod that you can down load films onto, you could put loads of peppa pig onto it, and just plug her into that for the journey!!!
Old 23 October 2008, 09:51 AM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't say NY is a place to take children as you do that much walking and it gets pretty crammed on the streets, i didn't take my son who was 18 months at the time and i don't think i saw a single pushchair in New York

Taxi from the airports to Manhattan is flat rate of $45.00, but then you need a couple of dollars for the toll and then tip. It will be your scariest ride ever!! They are crazy over there

Take the tube to get to other districts, i.e Tribeca, Hells Kitchen, financial district. Its only $2 a ride, where a taxi will cost you $20

Have a good time